PDA

View Full Version : Little help before I purchase the boat I looked at today

Rocknpalms
02-12-2006, 05:50 PM
It has an American Turbine jet and I am just not familure with AT. I know Berkley is great and need a little feed back to make sure I want to purchase this boat with a pump that dont know much about.
Also the engine is a BBC 454 with only 72 hours since the boat was new. Inside the valve cover oil fill was a tab I believe bolted to the rocker arm assembly that says Mark V. Does any one know the specs on this engine. This manufacture says the boat comes with a 330hp but has options for more hp. The owner is the seconds owner and has no ideaif the upgrades were purchased
I am looking for 70 mph the seller states it does around 60-65 now. But he says the tach only states 3500-4000 at that speed. That seems wrong. I would think 4500-5000 sounds more like it. Boat has a tack and MPH gauge. Not sure how acurate either one is.
Can this Mark V make the HP with new heads intake and carb????? I also want to switch to thru transom headers.

BigBlockBaja
02-12-2006, 06:41 PM
AT pumps are good pumps...
http://www.americanturbine.com/
my .02

Rocknpalms
02-12-2006, 07:21 PM
I still need info on the engine. I am afraid that my 70 mph may be out of range the boat is a 20' Carrera Eclipse. Is this boat too big for 70mph? What kind of HP is needed?

sleekcrafter
02-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Sounds like a basic engine package, probly a little more than 330 HP though. Whose engine is it? indmar, Pleasurecraft? Horse power is what it's going to take to get you to 70mph. I would venture to say maybe 550-600 hp should get you there. As for AMT pumps, they are just fine, good quality castings, and suttle design changes from the Berkeley pump.
Sleek

Rocknpalms
02-12-2006, 08:07 PM
I saw the original paperwork for the engine. I was marine....... (not sure) not much help I know. I wrote down the model #J454S-Cal serial #18478 not sure if that helps. What top end mods need to be done to get that hp.

02-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Probably a supercharger....

Squirtin Thunder
02-12-2006, 08:14 PM
If the Circus Boat can do 71.8mph or so that has the capability to run in the 70s. You may need to do some up-grades on the power down the road but it will get you wet this spring.

flat broke
02-12-2006, 08:31 PM
The Carerra Eclipse is a low profile 20'er. Lighter in weight than one of their open bows and should be capable of 70 without a ton of hp. That being said, setup is always important. Before you buy any boat, you should take it for a test drive. When you do, bring along your hand held GPS and see what the boat is actually capable of. Most of the 20' bow riders similar in size to the boat you're looking at run around 55mph at around 4500RPM with a Berk A impeller and a stock setup. More lift, more hp, etc. will make the boat faster. Figure out how much you want to spend TOTAL for the boat, upgrades, etc. Know for certain how fast the boat is as it sits, and you'll be able to better determine if you can get the boat to run the speed you want for the $$ you want to spend. There is a guy that runs down south of Parker with a clean one (white with blue graphics and some lightning headers), I'm not sure what speeds he's running, but it's a clean looking boat and I know some of the guys on the boards know of the boat, so maybe they can help out.
Good luck with it.
Chris

Rocknpalms
02-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Probably a supercharger....
So that is what the big polished thing that says B&M is under the dual carbs. LOL.
Well I called the guy and am picking up the boat tommorow evening. I need to convert to thru transom headers. Any imput on what brand to buy would be nice. The boat has a divertor, and I would like to know how a droop and ride plate would help.
I will post pictures soon. This is a great looking boat.

YeLLowBoaT
02-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Lightnings, reward and also basset makes both water injected and water jacked Thru transom stuff now.

Squirtin Thunder
02-12-2006, 09:22 PM
I really like the look of the Bassetts water jacketed headers.

YeLLowBoaT
02-12-2006, 09:25 PM
http://www.bassettracing.com/images/newpag11.jpg
2700 link age here (http://www.bassettracing.com/newpage11.htm)

YeLLowBoaT
02-12-2006, 09:27 PM
http://www.boatheaders.com/images/htmpic.JPG
Linkage (http://www.boatheaders.com/index.htm)

YeLLowBoaT
02-12-2006, 09:29 PM
they have 2 styles
2 piece
http://www.rewarderheaders.com/images/wi-thru-transom.jpg
http://www.rewarderheaders.com/images/tt454a.jpg
LINKAGE (http://www.rewarderheaders.com/)

Rocknpalms
02-12-2006, 09:35 PM
The plans have been set!!!!! :)
Friday morning we are ariving at blythe. Cruising the new boat and looking for a place to buy along the river (any thing for sale???). Saturday cruising Havasu and watching the firework show. Sunday cruising the gorge. :) :) :)
Hope the weather stays good.

Brooski
02-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Looks like Dan will have another boat on the river to try to beat.

455Rocket
02-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Carrera makes (made, they just got bought out but I hear they're gonna keep the name) a great boat... I grew up in a 20.5 Elite
Congats

SmokinLowriderSS
02-13-2006, 04:01 AM
Take that 454, bump the compression to 9.5 to 10:1, replace the rod bolts with some good ARP ones, stud the mains & heads, put a good cam in it suitable for your aplication, a good intake (I like the Performer RPM Air Gap I am running), insure you have a set of large port oval heads and have a good place port the heads properly & install the large sized factory valves (2.19"/1.88") if you don't already have them. That'll wake up that 454, should give you very close to if not over 500 HP with a solid reliability. If you need more, drop 100-HP nitrous on it for $400 or so. It'll hold it.
This is the avenue I'm actually working on my old Indmar 454 in my Taylor.
Headwork from the same guy local to me DuaneHTP uses.

Aduner2
02-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Hey Rocknpalms,
Is this the boat?

Aduner2
02-13-2006, 11:15 AM
See if this works

flat broke
02-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Duner,
Did you sell her? If so, someone picked up a nice ride. I remember seeing that boat at the first CBBB.
Chris

HBjet
02-13-2006, 11:51 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11254
Seen this boat before at CBBB, I think its Bense's uncles boat.
HBjet

Aduner2
02-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks Chris!
Yea, I sold it last July to a guy that runs Blythe. He was buying it for the wife. Maybe it will saw off some of the 6th street boys ........not.
Your right Randy, Bense468(Jeff) is my nephew. The boat was at the 1st Cbbb at the Avi. Its the one used as a boat anchor most of Sat. You've really have your Liberty running strong.Thanks for posting the picture!

Rocknpalms
02-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Hey Rocknpalms,
Is this the boat?
No the boat I bought is mainly white with purple, yellow, blue and orange graphics. I will take pictures tomorrow in the light and post them. It is the same boat, graphics and colors as the boat Carrera used on the multi page brochure in 96.

Rocknpalms
02-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Are the headers posted here (pictures) water jacketed? They look like just thru transom headers. I would like to install Jacketed header to make sure the kids never get burned. I will be purchasing some this week. Any help on performance, quality and fit would be appreciated. Also does anyone know of someone in the IE that I can trust to cut the holes and mount the tips? I assume they should be below the water line of the transom. Is this correct? Noise level is very important.

Aduner2
02-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Your boat set-up sounds identical to the one I had. The motor in my boat was a Gen 5, small port heads, with an Edelbrock air gap with Holley 750 dp carb. A/T pump, A impeller, droop, diverter, shoe and ride plate. The boat gps around 60 mph @ 4700+/- rpm. The boat needed alot more motor, but was turnkey, and could run on regular. It was a fun boat. Good luck with your new ride!

YeLLowBoaT
02-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Are the headers posted here (pictures) water jacketed? They look like just thru transom headers. I would like to install Jacketed header to make sure the kids never get burned. .
All but the rewarders are water jacketed. I have to agree with ST I really like the 3 Y design of the bassets.
Water jacketed headers will not stop burns.... they will just make then take alot longer to happen.

flat broke
02-13-2006, 10:16 PM
For my $$$ I would go with Lightnings (you can get them s.s inside and out) Jan is a good guy and can set you up with what you need. Since there are no holes it's easier, but I'd still take the boat down to him (he's in Lake Elsinore) and have him take some measurements to make sure you clear stringers, anything mounted on the transom etc. www.boatheaders.com
Good luck,
Chris

desrtrat256
02-13-2006, 11:15 PM
I run the same set up know, dad bought it new then i bought it. only diff. mine was bought with the 390 hp 454, out of the box 70.9 mph on a gps. my only gripe is under 47mph the boat hops and after a long run its annoying. congrats on the buy it should be a good boat.

Rocknpalms
02-14-2006, 06:23 AM
For my $$$ I would go with Lightnings (you can get them s.s inside and out) Jan is a good guy and can set you up with what you need. Since there are no holes it's easier, but I'd still take the boat down to him (he's in Lake Elsinore) and have him take some measurements to make sure you clear stringers, anything mounted on the transom etc. www.boatheaders.com
Good luck,
Chris
Thanks for the info. This forum is great. Alot of people willing to help. I live very close to Lake Elsinore and will call him and stop by today.

Rocknpalms
02-14-2006, 06:24 AM
I run the same set up know, dad bought it new then i bought it. only diff. mine was bought with the 390 hp 454, out of the box 70.9 mph on a gps. my only gripe is under 47mph the boat hops and after a long run its annoying. congrats on the buy it should be a good boat.
Great info, thanks
This gives me a good idea of what I need to do.

spectras only
02-14-2006, 10:53 AM
R & P , give Dave a call at 604- 278 1880 . We have a 1992 carrera there and he can tell you about your engine with your serial # provided. The boat does 70.5 on GPS with a 415 HP tunnel ram setup , AT pump with hyd diverter . I'll dig up a picture for you later.

Rocknpalms
02-14-2006, 03:19 PM
I would also like help on how to post the pictures as a picture not as an attachment

Rocknpalms
02-14-2006, 03:24 PM
I would also like help on how to post the pictures as a picture not as an attachment

spectras only
02-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Go ahead and buy that boat before someone else will :) .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/carrera.jpg

Rocknpalms
02-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Go ahead and buy that boat before someone else will :) .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/carrera.jpg
Allready bought it brought it home last night. That is my driveway it is on.
How did you post the pictures. I uploaded them on the gallery but I am stuck now.

78Southwind
02-14-2006, 07:55 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11299
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11301
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11302

victorfb
02-15-2006, 01:06 AM
thought you were lookin for an open bow? none the less the carrera is a nice hull. ive ridin in the 20.5 and was very impressed with both its ride and performance with lower HP. as for the noise level with jacketed headers, youll have a load boat when your running but at idle it will be nice and quiet. meaning at idle the water level will be higher than the outlets and muffle the exhaust, but when on plane the exhaust will be open and since jacketed header dont have the water running through them entirely its alot louder. there are mufflers you can install that mount through transum but i dont have any knowledge on them. mike at rex marine and his crew did alot of testing with these and sells some real nice ones if your interested. one thing i would consider here, especially before you purchase the headers is a turbo system. it will give you the added performance your looking for and also quiet it down considerably. well heck, you allready know that from your sandcar days. anyhow, just a thought. congrats on the new boat and may i add its a beauty.

Rocknpalms
02-15-2006, 06:57 AM
thought you were lookin for an open bow? none the less the carrera is a nice hull. ive ridin in the 20.5 and was very impressed with both its ride and performance with lower HP. as for the noise level with jacketed headers, youll have a load boat when your running but at idle it will be nice and quiet. meaning at idle the water level will be higher than the outlets and muffle the exhaust, but when on plane the exhaust will be open and since jacketed header dont have the water running through them entirely its alot louder. there are mufflers you can install that mount through transum but i dont have any knowledge on them. mike at rex marine and his crew did alot of testing with these and sells some real nice ones if your interested. one thing i would consider here, especially before you purchase the headers is a turbo system. it will give you the added performance your looking for and also quiet it down considerably. well heck, you allready know that from your sandcar days. anyhow, just a thought. congrats on the new boat and may i add its a beauty.
Yes Vic your right, I was looking for an open bow. I wanted a low "river boat" wife wanted more room. It seemed logical to find an 18' open bow advantage or simular. We went out and looked at about 5 boats on Sunday mostly Bubbledecks that we were going to cut into an open bow. We ended up looking at this boat and the wife was very happy with the wide bench seat and storage below the deck. It has a fully enclosed carpeted storage area all the way to the tip of the bow.
I am very happy and was not over excited about an open bow.
Just think this is a compromise. I think I got the better deal LOL.
:) :)
I have even been given the big ok for engine upgrades :)
Thanks for the tip on the muffler at the transom. I will look into it.
Turbo HMMMMMM Is there a small kit available. This may be a very good idea. More info please on a kit. I dont want to get into the whole fab thing.

LOWRIVER2
02-15-2006, 10:56 PM
That's a great bottom on that boat with a lot of circle jet racing history.
HBjet is the man to talk to for power to those hulls. The bottom is the same as the Eliminator Liberty /Liberty mfg. boats.
Jack Mcclure at Marine Performance Design has all kinds of mods you can do to make that boat run as quick/fast as you want to go. He raced/developed the Liberty for years.
I had a stock Elim. Liberty for 9 years and it rode better in light chop than anything in it's class.
Enjoy
LR

bradbigsley
02-16-2006, 06:16 PM
That's a great bottom on that boat with a lot of circle jet racing history.
HBjet is the man to talk to for power to those hulls. The bottom is the same as the Eliminator Liberty /Liberty mfg. boats.
Jack Mcclure at Marine Performance Design has all kinds of mods you can do to make that boat run as quick/fast as you want to go. He raced/developed the Liberty for years.
I had a stock Elim. Liberty for 9 years and it rode better in light chop than anything in it's class.
Enjoy
LR
he is right about the ride being better in chop. its a lot better with no sacrifice on the top speed. comparing to most 18 footers out there.. great boat, your gonna love it.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2931my_boat.jpg :rollside:

79Challenger
02-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks Chris!
Yea, I sold it last July to a guy that runs Blythe. He was buying it for the wife. Maybe it will saw off some of the 6th street boys ........not.
Your right Randy, Bense468(Jeff) is my nephew. The boat was at the 1st Cbbb at the Avi. Its the one used as a boat anchor most of Sat. You've really have your Liberty running strong.Thanks for posting the picture!
My father in law bought that hull with the exact designs about 3 years ago. It was immediatly chopped into an open bow. He consitently runs between 75 and 80 with a clean pump and a ho-hum bbc. Oh yea and a 150 shot of nitrous!
It is currently upside down with no pump, having impeller changes, a loader, and who knows what else. The hook is being taken out. And a 502 blower motor is being built by Mr. Horsepower. Chasing 100.
BTW, We run Blythe too! LOL.

Aduner2
02-17-2006, 03:14 PM
My father in law bought that hull with the exact designs about 3 years ago. It was immediatly chopped into an open bow. He consitently runs between 75 and 80 with a clean pump and a ho-hum bbc. Oh yea and a 150 shot of nitrous!
BTW, We run Blythe too! LOL.
I would like to see what an open bow Carrera looks like. I couldn't bring myself to cut out that long deck. Post a picture.
I've seen a few Carreras with that gell coat design.