PDA

View Full Version : weed screen

ursusarticus
06-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Is there any way to put a screen over the intake to prevent weeds and tow ropes from being ingested into the pump? I went to clear lake and could hardly get away from the dock due to the weed infestation on the east side of the lake. The pump sounded bad and yes I opened the three inch hole an let way too much water in the boat, about 24". made it back to the beach and spent 2 hours diging weeds out and dewatering. Can I put a wire mesh screen on yhe rock grate that will not disrupt the flow that much?:idea: :confused:

El Prosecutor
06-03-2007, 12:46 PM
I saw your title and thought you were trying to beat a drug test :D

OUTLAW HALLETT
06-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I saw your title and thought you were trying to beat a drug test :D
you kill me im not sure but i would think that mabye you could weld some expanded steel to the rock grate but your going to loose some flow how much i dont know but anything is possiable good luck

zudnic
06-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Thought about this yesterday the Columbia was pretty dirty, pinecones and small chunks of wood, etc. At work our juice pasteurization is done via high pressure, water is pushed against a piston and compresses the juice. Our intenifiers to get this pressure can hit 110K psi. We only use 80K psi, hows that for a jet. It's the same stuff that powers water jet cutting (American Choppers and Hot Rods uses them). The water comes from a regular garden hose. One of our employee's hooked one with screens washer in, despite being told to take them out! They slow water flow and F' up our intensifiers, so guessed last night that a screen might do the same on boats. Besides would'nt someone make them if they worked well?

OverKill
06-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Ok you have to realize one thing YOU OWN A JET BOAT. Do as I do, sit at the end of the bow and either use our feet or use a paddle to get you to deeper water. I don't just fire her up knowing there is crap in the water. You have to get pasted all the crap at shore that all the other boats washed in.
OverKill

zudnic
06-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Ok you have to realize one thing YOU OWN A JET BOAT. Do as I do, sit at the end of the bow and either use our feet or use a paddle to get you to deeper water. I don't just fire her up knowing there is crap in the water. OverKill
Problem my river the crap was/is all over the river....

73kona455
06-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Problem my river the crap was/is all over the river....
maybe time to find a different place to boat ride....

OverKill
06-03-2007, 03:16 PM
maybe time to find a different place to boat ride....
What he said!!:D :D Time to move

inwo
06-03-2007, 03:39 PM
At one time Berkeley made a "garbage disposer" type hand hole cover. And no, this is not a joke! :)
They recommended running with no grate. Pump is able to pump 90 percent solids and derive thrust from weeds.
Of course they also warn against pumping rocks.
This is from memory. Any other old timers here?

zudnic
06-03-2007, 04:01 PM
What he said!!:D :D Time to move
Someone above keeps me from looking, this town I'm in is the Hotel California, only wish it was in Cali.....

suckin&pumpin
06-03-2007, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=ursusarticus;2598075]Is there any way to put a screen over the intake to prevent weeds and tow ropes from being ingested into the pump? I went to clear lake -------Right there is your problem clear lake is anything but clear, its a weed infested green slime hole, went there once and paddled around LOL try berryessa!

Gearhead
06-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Berkeley at one time had a part for running in weedy or mossy environments. It was a blade looking thing mounted to the handhole cover. This blade was vertical and stuck down in front of the impeller. The theory was the weeds entering the pump would be cut by this blade. Never looked real effective to me! I thought it better to avoid those areas of the water :)