PDA

View Full Version : fuel problems?

suckin&pumpin
06-03-2007, 04:33 PM
so a week or so ago i had water in my fuel and after some good tips from the board i drained and added a seperator, today was first day out and she idled beautiful when I nailed she jumped up like a big dog but as soon as starts to plane out it starts missing and I cant get over 3700 rpm, Felt like it was starvin for fuel, but I am not sure, can a seperator affect your flow?
fyi, its a 460 with a edelbrock 800

Ken F
06-03-2007, 07:15 PM
What size lines do you have feeding the carb, and how radical is your engine?
From the sound of it I would suspect the Edelbrock, but I'm really not a big fan of them. Have you checked float levels?
Ken F

suckin&pumpin
06-04-2007, 01:31 PM
ita a stock 460 3/8 fuel lines mech. pump

OverKill
06-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Are your useing stainless lines with A/N fittings ?? If so you want to make sure you don't have any leaks. Usually if there is an air leak it will be the connecting fittings right at the fuel filter/ sepereator. Are you running Electric fuel pump or Mechanical??

suckin&pumpin
06-04-2007, 01:49 PM
no, rubber lines, hose clamps, mechanical pump never had a problem till the water, could I have water sitting in the bowls?

GUGS102
06-04-2007, 02:13 PM
no, rubber lines, hose clamps, mechanical pump never had a problem till the water, could I have water sitting in the bowls?
Make sure you pull the carb and clean it out. Thise carbs are pretty user friendly, you might just flip it over and dump it out and try it again.

OverKill
06-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Thats a very good idea to get rid of all the fuel. If you have bad gas you have to pull apart every thing. Take lines apart, pull carb. and yes you can just dump it upside down. You just can't empty the tanks, it all has to be rid of. Also do you have an airport near by. If so get some AV gas in both tanks and run that after you put everything back together. You should be good to go then.

centerhill condor
06-04-2007, 03:17 PM
I recommend "sea foam" fuel additive. Also, did you tape the fittings into the seperator housing? I recommend pipe dope...You can have an air leak into the housing and due to the spring loaded check valves in the tank fittings you'll pull air instead of gas and it will act as you describe.
You can sometimes smell gas and see fuel on the housing or filter canister as a clue.
CC

W.O.T
06-04-2007, 04:24 PM
im having the same problem boat starts to run out of gas around 4k. i think im having a problem drawing fuel from one tank. im going to clean out my tanks and put a new filter and lines. i should probably run a water seperator also.

OverKill
06-04-2007, 04:33 PM
I was thinking you could put the carb. on sideways. With the bowls side to side instead of forward and back ward. Reason is so you don't empty the first bowl when you get on it. Or just gravity alone when moving can pull fuel away from the forward bowl. However you will need to get the throttle linkage to do this

suckin&pumpin
06-04-2007, 05:28 PM
I recommend "sea foam" fuel additive. Also, did you tape the fittings into the seperator housing? I recommend pipe dope...You can have an air leak into the housing and due to the spring loaded check valves in the tank fittings you'll pull air instead of gas and it will act as you describe.
You can sometimes smell gas and see fuel on the housing or filter canister as a clue.
CC
i did use tape maybe I'll try the pipe dope.

suckin&pumpin
06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Thats a very good idea to get rid of all the fuel. If you have bad gas you have to pull apart every thing. Take lines apart, pull carb. and yes you can just dump it upside down. You just can't empty the tanks, it all has to be rid of. Also do you have an airport near by. If so get some AV gas in both tanks and run that after you put everything back together. You should be good to go then.
So if I turn over the carb it will empty the bowls?

suckin&pumpin
06-04-2007, 05:37 PM

Taylorman
06-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Remove one of the lower bowl bolts and that will drain the bowls.

OverKill
06-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Remove one of the lower bowl bolts and that will drain the bowls.
I was only telling him how to do it without having to change out the bowl gaskets.

OverKill
06-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Yes you can just turn it over and all the gas will come out. Also if you don't have a gasket for the carb. in between the carb. and the manifold. Just turn it over and you will be fine. Like I said earlier take your lines off to and put some air through them.
Were able to locate some AV gas near by.

junkyardhunter
06-04-2007, 06:17 PM
I was only telling him how to do it without having to change out the bowl gaskets.
Pulling 1 bolt should not hurt the gasket maybe the rubber washer on the bolt.;)

Danhercules
06-04-2007, 06:29 PM
After I sunk my boat I had water issues. When I ran the boat the first time after sinking, the last run the motor was popping. I figured it was water in the fuel. Sure was. I drained it and got the last of the water out. I forgot about the carb though. Months later I took off the float bowl and it looked terrible. Lots of crapin the bowls. You might wanna get your carb rebuilt and cleaned by a pro. Thow some denatured alcohol in your tanks before you run it next time. It will trap the water and let it go through the motor.

suckin&pumpin
06-04-2007, 07:11 PM
thats why I love this place, other peoples experiences save me time , If only I had figured this out when I was a teenager, LOL first thing tommorow it comes off and gets turned over, I will hold off on rebuilding, cheap first. Thanx:D :D :D

suckin&pumpin
06-12-2007, 06:45 PM
so 3 more trips and still cant figure it out but today, I pulled the seperator and emptied into a glass jar and found it was about 80% water, thinkin about tryin it out tommorow ....again, but could that seperator have been too full of water?

Jet Hydro
06-12-2007, 06:58 PM
yes thats way to full.

Clayton18
06-12-2007, 08:15 PM
thats why I love this place, other peoples experiences save me time , If only I had figured this out when I was a teenager, LOL first thing tommorow it comes off and gets turned over, I will hold off on rebuilding, cheap first. Thanx:D :D :D
Know a guy that rebuilds carbs really well. Had Similar Probs as you, got them rebuilt like 2 years ago and i havent had a prob with them yet. Let me know if you want his number.
Some photos of them...

CARLSON-JET
06-13-2007, 01:01 AM
so 3 more trips and still cant figure it out but today, I pulled the seperator and emptied into a glass jar and found it was about 80% water, thinkin about tryin it out tommorow ....again, but could that seperator have been too full of water?
I have had problems in the past with the paper filters in the separaters getting water logged . Get another filter. I have saved the old filter ( and box) and let it dry out. ( Kinda cheap ass way I know, but at $20 bucks a filter I have a spare that I know fits if I'm going on a long trip where I don't know if another is available.
It takes water a very short time to start corroding the inside of carbs.. get some gaskets, pull the bowls and clean them out. I don't remember if the seafoam has drying capabilities but if it doesn't get a can of fuel drier just for fun and dump it in the tank.. $3 bucks for good measure.

Jet Hydro
06-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Hey riodog, I`v just been working and working and working my life a way. I`v been checking in from time to time but not posting much. Nothing new to post as my boats are all apart right now as everyone has been keeping me busy getting their boats done. My oldest girl got sick and I kinda lost interest for a while.
:idea: I was kinda wondering about the AV Gas thing myself???? As far as I know AV Gas doesn't mix with water :hammer2:

sleekcrafter
06-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Water will mix just fine with AV gas, thats why pilot's sump the tanks on each pre-flight. AV gas fuel truck are always sumped each day prior to fueling aircraft for the day