PDA

View Full Version : Lake Pleasant Check Point for Boaters

Classic Daycruiser
06-03-2007, 09:07 PM
16 netted for DUI at Lake Pleasant
Audrie Garrison and Elias C. Arnold
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 3, 2007 09:08 PM
A sobriety checkpoint for boaters set up by law enforcement officials at Lake Pleasant on Sunday yielded 16 arrests for operating under the influence.
The operation was one of seven scheduled for this summer. Overall, officials have 20 special projects to increase safety on the lakes planned for the summer, said Kevin Bergersen, boating law administrator for the Arizona Game and Fish Department. The other 13 projects are saturation patrols, where six to eight boats will be out at one time checking for dangerous activity.
"It was very, very productive," Bergersen said Sunday after the operation. He estimated officials made contact with up to 300 boats during the special enforcement.
Bergersen said OUIs are a much bigger issue when it comes to boating than motor vehicles, because people often don't limit themselves when they are boating the same way they would on the road.
"People who would never, ever drink and drive a motor vehicle wouldn't think twice about coming to the lake and driving impaired," he said. "They just don't equate it to the same level."
There are also no open-container laws for boats in the state of Arizona, while there are for motor vehicles.
Over Memorial Day weekend, officers operated a motor vehicle checkpoint for cars leaving Lake Pleasant. Bergersen said that out of about 1,000 stopped cars, they arrested between eight and 15 drivers for DUI. He said that in a typical boating checkpoint, officers will often arrest 15 drivers out of about 300 boats.
The difference in drivers' mindsets is the difference in the nature of the activities, Bergersen said. Driving a motor vehicle is a day-to-day function, while boating is a recreational activity.
"People don't equate fun to adhering to the law to the slightest degree," he said.
Forty percent of all boating fatalities involve alcohol, Bergersen said. Last year was Arizona's deadliest year in terms of boating accidents, with 14 fatalities. This year, there have been two so far.
Arizona has six of the 15 most dangerous waterways in the country, including Lake Pleasant, Bergersen said. That criteria is based on numbers of fatalities and injuries.
Besides increasing safety on Arizona's lakes, one of the main purposes of the checkpoints is increasing awareness, Bergeson said.
"There's still people out there that think nothing of drinking and boating, and that's a problem," he said.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0603DUI0603-ON.html

carreraelite
06-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Yep....I talked to those boys today....:D

Xlration Marine
06-04-2007, 03:12 AM
I was watching the news and saw it. Drunks on the road are bad enough, who needs them on the water???

Chico&Zeus
06-04-2007, 06:34 AM
They were out in full force on Sunday, the ramp was crazy....I just kept doing hot passes in the no wake area hitting the beer bong until my wife could get the trailer in...
On another note, what were the new markers about 1/4 mile out from the "No Wake" at the 10 lane....didn't get a chance to read them but they were just put out this weekend.

carreraelite
06-04-2007, 06:43 AM
Those were the DUI Safety Check Point Markers....Once you entered that area, they would stop you and check for DUI and Safety Items......By the way...saw you in Humbug, but didn't recognise the "New" Boat!! Nice Ride!!

Chico&Zeus
06-04-2007, 07:36 AM
By the way...saw you in Humbug, but didn't recognise the "New" Boat!! Nice Ride!!
Thanks, it's a work in progress...every week I spend more and more time and money...I figure in a year or two I'll get it exactly how I want it, then we'll be ready for a newer one:D

Jordy
06-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Yeah, we found if you just went really fast by them they'd leave you alone!!! :D :D :D
It was quite an operation they had going though. Lots of boats on the water stopping pretty much everyone and off to the side of the 10 lane they had a command post setup with at least 20 sheriff and DPS cars there. :)

CMac
06-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Were they focused on the ten lane only??
BTW, Chico & Zues, how was the B-Day celebration?

squirt'nmyload
06-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Were they focused on the ten lane only??
they were not at the marina and i don't know about the north ramp. we followed the lucky strike in at 10 lane and then came back out and never got stopped either time :) quite an operation over there

Hotcobra270
06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I was out on Saturday and I didnt see any LEOs ...
Do we know when they will be out in full force again?
Another question. Lets say the driver is wasted, can he anchor out on the lake at night until he is sober?

seanv
06-04-2007, 04:48 PM
i think as long as your anchored your fine.... but then again im not leo :D

squirt'nmyload
06-04-2007, 05:44 PM
I was out on Saturday and I didnt see any LEOs ...
Do we know when they will be out in full force again?
Another question. Lets say the driver is wasted, can he anchor out on the lake at night until he is sober?
thats what is good about going saturday. if you decide to drink alot you can just stay at the lake on the boat. :D :D this one was published in the newspaper in the lifestyles section. we knew beforehand thanks to lucky strikes wife :D i may be wrong but doesn't the public have to be informed before something like a checkpoint happens??

Classic Daycruiser
06-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Yup, Your informed now:D :D :D