PDA

View Full Version : Is this Bad?

TIGGER
06-03-2007, 11:47 PM
So I am in the middle of a rebuild of my Berkeley 12JC pump. I noticed that the bowl is corroded where the bushings are (see pic). I was not sure how it would withstand an R&R of the bushings so I purchased another used one off Ebay. I have had it for a couple weeks now and I just noticed that the tail portion is worn where the steering unit goes. I assume there is potential for water to leak thru since the sides are badly worn. I was only looking at the insides and never really paid attention to the worn spots when I bid on it. They guy never disclosed it either.... Anyway, what should I do? Which one should I use? Neither?

shaun
06-04-2007, 12:22 AM
i'm no pump expert but why not try to have new bushing put into the old bowl, worst case you waste a few bucks. bushings are cheap, under 10 bucks... think i threw $20 to mpd to remove and replace my buddy's...

Cheap Thrills
06-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Looks ok other than the seal surface looking a little rough with oxidation.
Clean it up and run the heck out of it. Be sure to face the seal to keep the water out, not to keep the oil in. Since the bearings are still in it,(looks like they are from here) the bearing surface should be ok. I'm no expert either and I'm sure one of these ballers will tell you to shitcan it. Depending on your boating budget you may opt to do so.
I would run it.
Good Luck.
C.T. :wink: