PDA

View Full Version : Questions about adding a place diverter

Amm
06-04-2007, 07:32 AM
This forum was invaluable to me when I rebuilt my pump, I wonder if I could get some advice.
It seems like practically everyone on the forum has some sort of adjustable trim for their jet. Are they worth it? If so, is manual or hydraulic better? If manual vs hydraulic has no clear winner, what are the advantages of each?
I ask this because after rebuilding the pump, my boat is performing much better. Yet, there are a couple things that it has trouble with such as, when I load up more than 6 people and try to deep water start a slalom skier. It works fine once we get on a plane, but we can spend quite a bit of time trying to get on a plane in this situation.
Here is a picture of the boat. Its a 23 foot Day cruiser with a 460 BBF and Berk 12-JC pump. The boat's brand name is Cordova by Fiber-Cell. I've never heard of it.
http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t730116_boat.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i730116_boat.jpg)
http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t730118_IMG2451.JPG (http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i730118_IMG2451.JPG)
http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t730117_IMG2450.JPG (http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i730117_IMG2450.JPG)
It seems like a place diverter might be the answer to achieve better performance on my boat. Just wondering if they work like they say, faster time to plane and better top end.
Any thoughts are appreciated

wright27
06-04-2007, 07:51 AM
It is very much worth it, especially with a boat that size. I have a cruiser and it make a huge difference. You will plain faster and be able to control it for a better ride in all types of water conditions.
I hate the hyd. I am taking mine out and going man.

Amm
06-04-2007, 08:18 AM
It is very much worth it, especially with a boat that size. I have a cruiser and it make a huge difference. You will plain faster and be able to control it for a better ride in all types of water conditions.
I hate the hyd. I am taking mine out and going man.
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to get one and it sounds like a manual one is the way to go. Why do you hate the hydraulic version?

Schi-502
06-04-2007, 08:47 AM
I have a 22' family cruiser. I use a hydraulic place diverter for better control of the nozzel position. I also have a guage on my dash that shows the relative position of the nozzel.. This helped me find a reference point for loaded starts to flat out planing.
All parts came from CP Performance.
Good luck.

BrendellaJet
06-04-2007, 09:28 AM
From what I have seen, people who have the hydraulic pump controlling the diverter like it. If they ever try one that is manual they like it better & many have switched. The manual is nice because the changes in position are actually faster. with the hydraulic pump there is a lot of quick adjustments on the switch to get the diverter in that "just right" spot. The gauge might help.
For deep water skiing, point it down and nail it.when the skiier is up, adjust it up (no roost though).
I think you will find that all handling aspects will improve.

Kenosobby
06-04-2007, 09:33 AM
on a differ note... At first glance I said "Holy smokes another Hawaiian like mine" I'm headed over to take a picture of it and show ya.. looks dang near identical to yours.

MudPumper
06-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Something to consider........The manual diverters come with either a floor or stringer mount and those of us running them have 18 and 19 foot boats where we sit very close to the floor. I'm sure in your cruiser, the seating is up high and therefore the stringers are hidden under the floor which is quite a ways down. Unless you rig up some trick mounting bracket, I would go Hydrolic in a boat that big.

coopers396
06-04-2007, 09:41 AM
im going to be buying the manual control place divertor next month hopefully..but i wanted to know if it really makes a boat go faster..ive heard it has and ive heard you lose power..i honestly cant see how it can make you go faster if its aiming the water coming from the nozzle up..anyone have any experiences?

Cheap Thrills
06-04-2007, 09:50 AM
im going to be buying the manual control place divertor next month hopefully..but i wanted to know if it really makes a boat go faster..ive heard it has and ive heard you lose power..i honestly cant see how it can make you go faster if its aiming the water coming from the nozzle up..anyone have any experiences?
In as few words as possible , pointing the jet up lifts the bow higher out of the water thus reducing drag less drag = more speed. pointing the jet down forces the bow down displacing more water will move the hull up onto plane faster than it would if it were pointed up and carrying the nose. Is that understandable ?
C.T. :wink:

coopers396
06-04-2007, 09:54 AM
In as few words as possible , pointing the jet up lifts the bow higher out of the water thus reducing drag less drag = more speed. pointing the jet down forces the bow down displacing more water will move the hull up onto plane faster than it would if it were pointed up and carrying the nose. Is that understandable ?
thanks man yea i understand now..i have a 18ft hondo hull with a BBC396 and a jacuzzi pump..it goes between 58-60..what sort of MPH changes do you think i would be getting if i added the divertor
thanks
erick

ck7684
06-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Also, it's the velocity of the water exiting the nozzle that propels the boat, so if you aim it so it shoots out just above the water, it wont be slowed down...thus more thrust and speed!!! being able to trim the jet is definately a must!!

Cheap Thrills
06-04-2007, 10:22 AM
thanks man yea i understand now..i have a 18ft hondo hull with a BBC396 and a jacuzzi pump..it goes between 58-60..what sort of MPH changes do you think i would be getting if i added the divertor
thanks
erick
Man it's hard to say. The first trip to the lake with my boat wasn't anything like I expected a jet to be. It had zero roost and the boat rode wet almost like it was plowing through the water. My speed was around 45. After I put a diverter on it the speed and handling improved dramatically. With a little tweak here and a tune there I'm up to 58. with a small block Chevy. A major chunk of that 13Mph was the diverter. along with some engine tuning. I have 2 ,4* wedges to put on it to raise the jet even further and possibly get a little more speed out of it. Here's the before and after pic and you can see the difference it made with the way my hull rode.
Your results may vary.
Good Luck
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1127new_sig.jpg

Amm
06-04-2007, 10:27 AM
on a differ note... At first glance I said "Holy smokes another Hawaiian like mine" I'm headed over to take a picture of it and show ya.. looks dang near identical to yours.
I would like to see it. The only information I can find is the company "Fiber Cell" was based in Salt Lake City and produced boats in the late 70's. I wonder if they bought the rights to the same mold or just cloned it.

coopers396
06-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Man it's hard to say. The first trip to the lake with my boat wasn't anything like I expected a jet to be. It had zero roost and the boat rode wet almost like it was plowing through the water. My speed was around 45. After I put a diverter on it the speed and handling improved dramatically. With a little tweak here and a tune there I'm up to 58. with a small block Chevy. A major chunk of that 13Mph was the diverter. along with some engine tuning. I have 2 ,4* wedges to put on it to raise the jet even further and possibly get a little more speed out of it. Here's the before and after pic and you can see the difference it made with the way my hull rode.
Your results may vary.
Good Luck
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1127new_sig.jpg
gotcha..thats a big difference in speed for the things you did..to make the jet shoot higher you would add angled wedges?Ive seen place divertors that shoot kinda low and i wanted to make it so it would shoot pretty high..thanks again for the info C.T.
erick

pw_Tony
06-04-2007, 11:11 AM
You should keep me updated on your hondo, we just picked one up without a place diverter and just wanted to know if it would make a difference...

Amm
06-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Do you operate the manual lever with your foot? Can the stringer lever be mounted like my throttle lever and operated by hand?
Maybe hydraulic is the way to go on my boat, but the simplicity of the manual appeals to me.

coopers396
06-04-2007, 01:10 PM
You should keep me updated on your hondo, we just picked one up without a place diverter and just wanted to know if it would make a difference...
yea i will for sure..i want to get one before the next trip out but i dunno if i could come up with the cash in 3 weeks..i got a lot of things to buy right now as it is haha
erick

wright27
06-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to get one and it sounds like a manual one is the way to go. Why do you hate the hydraulic version?
The manual is faster and I know exactly where it is when I want it to be where I need it.:eek:

Amm
06-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone,
Just put my order in for a manual diverter. Can't wait.

71tahiti
06-04-2007, 06:45 PM
HYD is more money... but it works plenty fast for the boating I do and is just a toggle switch on the dash, in a convienent spot. I dont have a gauge, I just go by the feel of the boat.
My boat drove like a lunch box with a BBO. Put the PD on it and the handling was alot better and the top end increased. It will just ride better...
Try the Manual... I have HYD and its a must for any jet IMO
:D leaving my .02

cave
06-04-2007, 07:12 PM
? A diverter on a JC? You may have to rotate you bowl 90°. Or was I told wrong. Just wondering if Place manufactured an adaptor for the JC.
I got the hydraulic and love it when it works and piss & moan when it don't. I had the manual but it was mounted on the stringer rite in the center of the drivers seat. A couple of big rollers helped my decision to go Hydro.
with the Hydraulic you can tap the toggle till you find the sweet spot. You can do the same with a manual but you have to find it by adjusting the lock nuts.
I can feel where the sweet spot is now. That rush of speed is worth the money!

pw_Tony
06-04-2007, 07:23 PM
? A diverter on a JC? You may have to rotate you bowl 90°. Or was I told wrong. Just wondering if Place manufactured an adaptor for the JC.
I got the hydraulic and love it when it works and piss & moan when it don't. I had the manual but it was mounted on the stringer rite in the center of the drivers seat. A couple of big rollers helped my decision to go Hydro.
with the Hydraulic you can tap the toggle till you find the sweet spot. You can do the same with a manual but you have to find it by adjusting the lock nuts.
I can feel where the sweet spot is now. That rush of speed is worth the money!
I've only seen one JC set up that way with a jet-ovator. My jc is set up just right for a place diverter without turning the bowl

cave
06-04-2007, 07:39 PM
So you didnt have to modify the bowl to get the diverter to work? I thought you needed a split bowl for the Place Diverter. Thats good news for Amm.
Back when I bought my Place Diverter I was asked if I had a split bowl. I was told If I had a JC I would have to rotate the bowl so the pins where vertical. I told them I had a JG and it was all good.

pw_Tony
06-04-2007, 07:41 PM
So you didnt have to modify the bowl to get the diverter to work? I thought you needed a split bowl for the Place Diverter. Thats good news for Amm.
Back when I bought my Place Diverter I was asked if I had a split bowl. I was told If I had a JC I would have to rotate the bowl so the pins where vertical. I told them I had a JG and it was all good.
Nope, that's only on factory jet-o-vator ones I believe. My pins are straight up and down, but my friend's JC nozzle pins are on the left and right hand sides, but if you have a jetovator I don't think you would need a place diverter at all cause they allready have trim adjust.

cave
06-04-2007, 07:52 PM
So I had it back erds.lol. Cool :D Pins Horizontal and its OK.

squirt'nmyload
06-04-2007, 07:59 PM
in your boat i'd probably do hydraulic...like cave said when it works its the best but when it doesn't :mad: :mad: i have a manual now but honestly i wish i had my hydraulic diverter back.. i hate having the shifter on the floor ....oh and if you do manual get a lockout shifter :)

pw_Tony
06-04-2007, 08:03 PM
So I had it back erds.lol. Cool :D Pins Horizontal and its OK.
Damn it no! Lol it's pins vertical and it's OK!:D

Devilman
06-05-2007, 06:21 AM
I've only seen one JC set up that way with a jet-ovator. My jc is set up just right for a place diverter without turning the bowl
Here is a couple of pics of mine, before I swapped bowls. Its a JC pump, the diverter was on it when I bought the boat. When I started making inquiries about the bowl deal, I was told the diverter for a JC pump & a JG pump were interchangeable. That was key in my deal, cause if I had to spring for another diverter, I wasn't gonna swap bowls....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/diverterdown1.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/newtransom2.jpg

biggraypig
06-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Depends on the diverter you have. I have seen them both ways.
One does require you to rotate the bowl 90*.
In the last pic, the reverse gate is forced up in forward with the jet stream and drops down for reverse.

pw_Tony
06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Depends on the diverter you have. I have seen them both ways.
One does require you to rotate the bowl 90*.
On the last pic, the reverse gate is forced up in forward with the jet stream and drops down for reverse.
When the bowl is twisted 90* like that you don't even need a place diverter do you? Isn't it basically the same thing?

biggraypig
06-05-2007, 08:27 PM
How would you steer?
You need two pivot pionts. One horizontal, one vertical.

pw_Tony
06-05-2007, 08:33 PM
With the steering wheel:D . I dunno it might change your steering a little when its up or down but I think you could still right? Or would it bind too much?

biggraypig
06-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Help

pw_Tony
06-05-2007, 08:46 PM
The steering is off of the vertical points, with the left square bars on the side. I only recognize it because that's how my buddy's sidewinder is set up

biggraypig
06-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Yes, so you need the horizontal points to trim your boat with the place diverter.
Doesn't matter where they are, but if you want your nozzel to go up and down, side to side, you need two points of pivot. One horizontal, one vertical.

cave
06-06-2007, 04:39 AM
So basically Place now offers a diverter for the JC bowl. That's a good thing cause I know a few people that ask me here if they can pick one up. I've had my place diverter for a long time and back then around 1999 I picked up the Hydraulic. I love it when it works:D . Next step on the diverter will be a wheel mounted switch. But that's a low priority.

e514jet
06-06-2007, 05:07 AM
I love mine. One of the best investments I made. I actually have the FTN
(FINE TUNE NOZZLE) model which allows you to change the inserts for the best performance for your boat. Mine is hydraulic and have the buttons on the steering wheel. Works great....check out my rooster....E

Devilman
06-06-2007, 05:16 AM
So basically Place now offers a diverter for the JC bowl. That's a good thing cause I know a few people that ask me here if they can pick one up. I've had my place diverter for a long time and back then around 1999 I picked up the Hydraulic. I love it when it works:D . Next step on the diverter will be a wheel mounted switch. But that's a low priority.
The same diverter will fit a JC, JG, & a JB, according to the Place website.
I'm not sure about that deal with rotating the bowl though, never seen any like that other than that pic that was posted up there...

Amm
06-14-2007, 08:03 PM
I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I need to give a thanks to everyone who provided feedback.
The place diverter performed very well. Backing in reverse was much improved. I was able to stay on a plane at a much slower speed while towing skiers and tubes. The ride feels more solid at all speeds. The top end seems faster(I don't have a speedometer).
Also, the rooster tail IS pretty cool.
So again a huge thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me out, and thanks to Tom at jetboatperformance.com for the kit.

pw_Tony
06-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I need to give a thanks to everyone who provided feedback.
The place diverter performed very well. Backing in reverse was much improved. I was able to stay on a plane at a much slower speed while towing skiers and tubes. The ride feels more solid at all speeds. The top end seems faster(I don't have a speedometer).
Also, the rooster tail IS pretty cool.
So again a huge thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me out, and thanks to Tom at jetboatperformance.com for the kit.
That's sweet to hear! How much did it all cost yah?

Amm
06-14-2007, 08:17 PM
That's sweet to hear! How much did it all cost yah?
$625 plus tax and shipping.

jetboatperformance
06-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Hands down best money "bang for your buck" that you could spend on your jet boat !! I'm a big fan of manuals and sell them 3 to 1 Alot depends on your hull ,seating and personal preferences also if you have a swim deck or not ? Tom

Dan Lorenze
06-15-2007, 05:32 AM
I've owned both manual and hydraulic actuated Place diverters in two different boats, I currently have a hydraulic system. While I really like the ease of use with having the hydraulic switch on the wheel I kind of miss the manual controls in a way. On my old boat I had my manual floor controls adjusted exactly where I wanted and always knew exactly where I was with the position of the nozzle. If I was trimmed up nicely at a high speed and wanted to turn sharp, no problem, pull the lever all the way back, turn and gas it. Without a trim indicator on my hydraulic system I find myself counting a few seconds and hope that the nozzle is down before a tight turn. I should probably look into a trim indicator package to get my warm and fuzzy feeling back but the lag time would still be there... Just my .02