PDA

View Full Version : Oysters make Pea Soup?

Wet Dream
06-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Anyone else have oysters turn everything into green pea soup the next day? :confused: I did a few of them on the grill last night and I'm suspecting those may have disrupted the normal production...

topless
06-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Anyone else have oysters turn everything into green pea soup the next day? :confused: I did a few of them on the grill last night and I'm suspecting those may have disrupted the normal production...
They are out of season. You are only suppose to eat them in months that have an R in them.

yopengo
06-04-2007, 12:23 PM
They are out of season. You are only suppose to eat them in months that have an R in them.
:eek: :eek: not JUNER? :eek: :D

rrrr
06-04-2007, 12:28 PM
JU NEed to know this stuff if yer gonna eat those things.......:jawdrop: :D

Wet Dream
06-04-2007, 12:36 PM
I thought you weren't supposed to eat them if they DO have an R in the month. Then why the hell do they sell them in JUNE? :(

Wet Dream
06-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Ok, after doing a little Googling, I couldn't find anything about not eating them during some months. With todays availability of being able to transport fresh food from around the world, the old wives tale doesn't hold true. Oysters can be flown in from any area that oysters are in season. There is however a story from late July of last year that RAW oysters from the pacific northwest were making people sick, and before that was the Texas region in 1998.

topless
06-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I thought you weren't supposed to eat them if they DO have an R in the month. Then why the hell do they sell them in JUNE? :(In those months they double as Pea soup.:D

Wet Dream
06-04-2007, 01:04 PM
In those months they double as Pea soup.:D
It only lasts for up to 48 hours...might have to get more. :D

topless
06-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Here ya go. I'm not eating them until there is an R month.
http://www.fabianseafood.com/oysters.htm

HowardFlat
06-04-2007, 01:27 PM
My dad is an oyster and clam farmer in the pacific northwest and i was up there working with him when the oysters got shut down last summer. It happens when the the temperatures get warm and bacteria in the mud gets in the oysters. it doesn't harm the oysters but causes you to get sick. but if you cooked them good you shouldn't of got sick. also during the summer months they spawn and when you open them they are all milky inside.

Wet Dream
06-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Here ya go. I'm not eating them until there is an R month.
http://www.fabianseafood.com/oysters.htm
The old adage of eating oysters only in months with an "R" was before the days of adequate refrigeration, but they do taste better in the colder months. Also they are potentially more dangerous in the warmer months if eaten raw, so we don't carry them during the summer months.

topless
06-04-2007, 01:35 PM
The old adage of eating oysters only in months with an "R" was before the days of adequate refrigeration, but they do taste better in the colder months. Also they are potentially more dangerous in the warmer months if eaten raw, so we don't carry them during the summer months.I read that but being from South Texas, nobody even sold them during May June July or August because it was too warm and we didn't want to chance getting Hepatitis. I sill won't eat them in those months.

photo chick
06-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Oysters on a grill? ewwwyuk!:yuk: :yuk:

topless
06-04-2007, 01:36 PM
during the summer months they spawn and when you open them they are all milky inside.
EWWWW oyster sperm.

photo chick
06-04-2007, 01:41 PM
EWWWW oyster sperm.
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :yuk: even better, grilled oyster sperm

topless
06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :yuk: even better, grilled oyster spermthat turns into pea soup. LOL

rrrr
06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Oysters from the Gulf are dangerous to eat raw during warm months. Sliders from colder water are OK.

photo chick
06-04-2007, 01:44 PM
that turns into pea soup. LOL
Stop already!! I'm trying to make dinner here!

topless
06-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Stop already!! I'm trying to make dinner here!Don't tell me,,,,,,,,,,soup?:jawdrop:

HowardFlat
06-04-2007, 01:52 PM
the best way to cook oysters are on the BBQ. put a little BBQ sauce and cheddar cheese on them and they are awesome! all my friends who say they don't like oysters try them and love them.

rrrr
06-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Don't tell me,,,,,,,,,,soup?:jawdrop:
:D :D
She just won't stop.......:jawdrop:

topless
06-04-2007, 01:54 PM
:D :D
She just won't stop.......:jawdrop:
LOL, do I ever?

photo chick
06-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Don't tell me,,,,,,,,,,soup?:jawdrop:
Enough with the soup girl! There's no soup, sperm or oysters in the meal I'm cooking!:D

topless
06-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Enough with the soup girl! There's no soup, sperm or oysters in the meal I'm cooking!:DHave you ever had Rocky Mountain Oysters by any chance?:idea:

callbob4homes
06-04-2007, 02:07 PM
My dad is an oyster and clam farmer in the pacific northwest and i was up there working with him when the oysters got shut down last summer. It happens when the the temperatures get warm and bacteria in the mud gets in the oysters. it doesn't harm the oysters but causes you to get sick. but if you cooked them good you shouldn't of got sick. also during the summer months they spawn and when you open them they are all milky inside.
would these be of the bearded variety by any chance???:idea: :idea: :D :D

topless
06-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Enough with the soup girl! There's no soup, sperm or oysters in the meal I'm cooking!:DHave you ever had Rocky Mountain Oysters by any chance?:idea:

photo chick
06-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Have you ever had Rocky Mountain Oysters by any chance?:idea:
Whatta you think...you've seen what I eat and/or don't eat! NOT! Have you?

topless
06-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Whatta you think...you've seen what I eat and/or don't eat! NOT! Have you?Yes, my mom didn't tell us what they were until we were done. I think I got sick.

Ziggy
06-04-2007, 03:33 PM
There's only one kind of oyster that I'll stick my tongue on :D:D:D:D:D:D:D