PDA

View Full Version : Havasu High School Truancy Problem

Insurance God
06-04-2007, 01:34 PM
I believe there are 3 public high schools & a private high school in Havasu. Last year only 12 students had a "perfect attendance record". This year the local Ford dealership said they would raffle off a new car & every student with a perfect attendance record would be eligible. (The raffle was held last Sat.) The number went from 12 to 98! That is over a 700% increase!
Havasu is a nice & fun place. I can't say that I never missed a day of school, but wow, I also can't believe those numbers.

Havasu1986
06-04-2007, 02:08 PM
There is only 1 high school and I 'm not sure if the private one goes past 8th grade.

Insurance God
06-04-2007, 02:16 PM
That makes more sense. My 85 year old gradmother told me about it & her numbers (12 - 98) were correct according to the Herald on Sunday. If you see a red H2 with an old lady, look out. :)

Havasu_Dreamin
06-04-2007, 02:58 PM
There is only 1 high school and I 'm not sure if the private one goes past 8th grade.
In addition to Lake Havasu High School I thought there was Desert Tech which sounds like the alternative/continuation high school and then there is Telesis Prepatory Academy which must go past the 8th grade since the kid that won the car is a student there and I don't think they would give a car to someone who does not have a drivers license.....

Ziggy
06-04-2007, 02:59 PM
A new car incentive didn't seem to be much of an incentive to the kids.....:rolleyes: Maybe they needed to say it was a blinged F450 for it to be a real incentive.....

Quest4Fun
06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
I just had to jump in here because I felt the Title of the thread was a bit misleading. Although truancy is definetly a huge problem, there is a difference between truancy and not having perfect attendance. The car was offered to kids that had not been absent a single day of the 2006-2007 school year. LHHS had 86 seniors that did not miss a day of school due to illness, doctor/dentist appointments, etc. and that is great. But to imply that all of the other students that were absent are considered truant is not fair. Truancy is an unexcused absence, the child either ditched school or the parent did not phone in their illness or other appointment and did not follow it up with a note. Sorry, but I just had to put my .02 worth in.

Ziggy
06-04-2007, 03:54 PM
I just had to jump in here because I felt the Title of the thread was a bit misleading. Although truancy is definetly a huge problem, there is a difference between truancy and not having perfect attendance. The car was offered to kids that had not been absent a single day of the 2006-2007 school year. LHHS had 86 seniors that did not miss a day of school due to illness, doctor/dentist appointments, etc. and that is great. But to imply that all of the other students that were absent are considered truant is not fair. Truancy is an unexcused absence, the child either ditched school or the parent did not phone in their illness or other appointment and did not follow it up with a note. Sorry, but I just had to put my .02 worth in.
How many graduating Seniors are in the school? Perhaps to put it in perspective to the number of 86 so that it shows a truer percentage.....

Quest4Fun
06-04-2007, 03:57 PM
How many graduating Seniors are in the school? Perhaps to put it in perspective to the number of 86 so that it shows a truer percentage.....
Good question, I'm not sure but the school has around 2000 students total so I would assume somewhere between 400-500.

Keith E. Sayre
06-04-2007, 04:19 PM
I agree there Ziggy and Quest 4 Fun but then I always seem to agree with
what you two say.
But what I want to say here is, how about a huge pat on the back for
Mike Bradley the owner of Bradley Chevrolet and Bradley Ford for kicking
in the car. I've known him from a distance for about 20 years and seems
like a great guy.
Thanks to Mike, Havasu and more importantly the kids in it probably are a
little better off as the result of their hard work and his generosity.
Keith Sayre

Quest4Fun
06-04-2007, 04:27 PM
I agree there Ziggy and Quest 4 Fun but then I always seem to agree with
what you two say.
But what I want to say here is, how about a huge pat on the back for
Mike Bradley the owner of Bradley Chevrolet and Bradley Ford for kicking
in the car. I've known him from a distance for about 20 years and seems
like a great guy.
Thanks to Mike, Havasu and more importantly the kids in it probably are a
little better off as the result of their hard work and his generosity.
Keith Sayre
Hey Keith...Wow somebody agrees with me ???:eek:
And I must say I agree with you 100%! Good job to Mike Bradley for donating the car, as you know we do have some great people here in Havasu who donate their time and money for our community.:)

Ziggy
06-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Hey Keith...Wow somebody agrees with me ???:eek:
And I must say I agree with you 100%! Good job to Mike Bradley for donating the car, as you know we do have some great people here in Havasu who donate their time and money for our community.:)
Absolutely....!!!
All us car dealers are fantastic guys... lmao
Q4F, you gonna get a Magic deck now ;) :)

Keith E. Sayre
06-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Ziggy, I like your style!

wsuwrhr
06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
I had perfect attendance three years of high school, got a free yearbook every year. My senior year I had heath problems and even with paperwork it wasn't good enough.
I liked school, talk about being around 100's of women, good times.
Oh well.
A car would have been nice.
Brian

Quest4Fun
06-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Absolutely....!!!
All us car dealers are fantastic guys... lmao
Q4F, you gonna get a Magic deck now ;) :)
LOL...I think we'll stick with our Conquest for now :D :D

Insurance God
06-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Alright, I'll accept your .02 :)

lalhc
06-04-2007, 07:33 PM
The kids in our school district are offered free bus passes for perfect attendance. They even offer Saturday school to make up for excused absences. Our bus passes are $150 per year. The district does a good job of keeping the kids in school. The more each kid is in school, the more $$ the district gets from the state. My wife is a teacher in our district and she is instructed at the beginning school year open house to instruct parents to schedule appts for their kids during after hours. Our school district attendance average is just under 97%.

Racey
06-04-2007, 08:20 PM
That's pretty cool of them to do, a nice incentive to go for perfect attendance.

meaniam
06-05-2007, 09:28 AM
The kids in our school district are offered free bus passes for perfect attendance. They even offer Saturday school to make up for excused absences. Our bus passes are $150 per year. The district does a good job of keeping the kids in school. The more each kid is in school, the more $$ the district gets from the state. My wife is a teacher in our district and she is instructed at the beginning school year open house to instruct parents to schedule appts for their kids during after hours. Our school district attendance average is just under 97%.
wasnt nothing like that when i went to rim high 92-96. maybe thats elementry. is my guess right? or did things really change that much in 10 years?