PDA

View Full Version : Regelled Schiada

FrznJim
06-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Here's a pic of my regelled Schiada up here in Alaska. It's now blue and white, used to be the rainbow??? in the second photo. After my neighbor commented on the gay pride thing, that was the end of that color scheme. My hats off to the artists who gelcoat. Way too many hours of shooting gel, sanding it out and regelling. My first and last time for learning that art. Next project is working on the boat trailer.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2421Blue_Schiada.jpg
Original rainbow color
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2421Schiada_orig_gel.jpg

ssmike
06-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Looks great Jim! I love it.

Schiada Time
06-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Very Nice Jim. We missed you at this years Notta Regatta. Looking good.
Travis

GofastRacer
06-04-2007, 08:02 PM
WOW, what an improvement looks great!..:cool:

sawtooth
06-04-2007, 08:22 PM
WOW!!! That looks like a new boat, very nice job. Did you re-gel the texture/non skid on the deck. I am going to re-gel mine and most of it will be bright white but the deck has yellowed over the years ('77) and will look real bad against the new white. I was just wondering if you did do the deck how much of the non skid is left. Again nice job my hat is off to you for doing it yourself.

Racey
06-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Looks great man! Looked good before imo, those are classic colors, i'd have told my friend he could keep paddling his kayak while i'm driving around in a badass v-drive 'gay pride mobile' :D

76schiada
06-04-2007, 08:38 PM
looks great

full throttle
06-05-2007, 08:14 AM
The new gel looks much better, but I still would have back handed your neighbor for the comment. Bad colors or not, still a Schiada.

FrznJim
06-05-2007, 08:30 AM
The neighbor is a nice looking blonde, and yes she does have a couple of kayaks??
Sawtooth, the non-skid was in pretty good shape except for around the gas fills where there were some bad stress cracks so I ground those out, regelled smooth and did it in a radius around the fills so it looks reasonable. I can't imagine how you would rework the non-skid short of using some type of a release form to set in the gel, then peel it off later??

Hallett
06-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Jim your boat looks great love the colors. did you do the bottom
also or was it in good shape. how old is your neighbor
does she like arizona.:D :D

FrznJim
06-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Bob,
The bottom is in good shape so I left it alone. The neighbor is married (I think like her third time). How's your engine? Did you get the new oil pan installed?

FrznJim
06-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Bob,
The bottom is in good shape so I left it alone. The neighbor is married (I think like her third time). How's your engine? Did you get the new oil pan installed?

Hallett
06-05-2007, 02:08 PM
:D :D :D I was just kidding Jim havasu has lots of three timers:D :D
i dont need that kinda trouble. we did get the the pan replaced now
i'm looking to change the propshaft to 1' 1/8. when are you guys
coming down it looks cold in the pic's it's 107 here today. if you
have time post more pic's of the boat. take care Bob

ColeTR2
06-05-2007, 06:46 PM
looks great jim

sawtooth
06-05-2007, 08:18 PM
The neighbor is a nice looking blonde, and yes she does have a couple of kayaks??
Sawtooth, the non-skid was in pretty good shape except for around the gas fills where there were some bad stress cracks so I ground those out, regelled smooth and did it in a radius around the fills so it looks reasonable. I can't imagine how you would rework the non-skid short of using some type of a release form to set in the gel, then peel it off later??
Thanks for the reply Jim. I also have stress cracks and also engine compartment vent holes to fill as I will be sans engine cover on this redo. I have thought about making the top deck surface from the cockpit back smooth, I also talked to Lee at Schiada about just making me a new deck being that I will be filling some gauge holes and the preveious owners went nuts with a scroll saw down the inside gunnels so it is just a matter of my time to do repairs or my money to have the new deck made and tabed on.
A while back there were some pics of a ol' style 22' here on the boards that somebody at Conquest re-gelled all red, looked terrific I think they even did the nonskid. For some reason I want to say Racey here on the boards is doing the rigging. Sorry for the rambleing.
Chris.

Schiada Time
06-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Sawtooth- it was either Racey or Sammons doing the rigging on that all red '22. My gel is in great shape except my non-skid is super faded and will need a miracle to come back in luster. I'm talking to Billy B about some options.
Travis

Mr. V-Driver
06-06-2007, 12:46 PM
KewL Boat!!! :)

sawtooth
06-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Sawtooth- it was either Racey or Sammons doing the rigging on that all red '22. My gel is in great shape except my non-skid is super faded and will need a miracle to come back in luster. I'm talking to Billy B about some options.
Travis
Yeah Travis Billy is the master and shoulod be able to help you out or atleast steer you in the right direction. Have you had your boat out, how is that 502 running. I am heading up to the lake for Fathers Day to fire up my Dads new motors, he also bought the 502/502 deal.......just 2 of them. He has been restoring his 28' Campbell and is ready to make smoke. I was up 2 weeks ago and oil primed everything/checked for leaks and all was good. He had to install new fuel lines and install the exhaust he had fabed up and button up a few little things and says he is ready. I can't think of a better way to spend the weekend.
Chris.

Schiada Time
06-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Saw- The 502 is running great. Eventually I need to upgrade the exhaust but for now I'm happy. She runs smooth and over Memorial I drove her about 20 miles around Mead and she purred like a kitten and started smooth everytime. I have a leak on the Casale and am going to have a local V-drive guy in Boulder City fix it. Other than that no complaints. I would like to tidy up a little of the rigging and play a little more with props but the way she is running now I can get through the summer and throw some more $$$ at her over the winter. Winter goals are new exhaust, Calgo double cable steering, get the non-skid re-sprayed and possibly sandblast, re-paint, re-wire and defintely re-bunk the trailer. Next year I would like to do new interior, sub floor and carpet. I would love to have a split case but once again $$$.Good luck with your Dad's boat.
travis