PDA

View Full Version : Tinted window ticket

Phat Matt
06-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Who wants to sign off on it? :D
CHP pulled me over this morning on the way to work. He told me it's a fix it ticket. Get it fixed, signed off, and pay $10. Or option two. Pay a $70 fine and keep your tint.
I like to sign it off and pay $10 option better. :D
The guy was cool and just doing his job. I should have asked him to sign off in it while he was writing me up. :)

Kilrtoy
06-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Only CHP's can sign off their own ticket......
pay the 70 and keep it on

RitcheyRch
06-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I paid the fine and kept my tint. Much easier and keeps from getting an officer in trouble.

Ziggy
06-05-2007, 08:42 AM
You mean you don't want to know how to beat the ticket Matt? Whats wrong with you? This is HB and we're here to help you through this horrible dilema.......

Phat Matt
06-05-2007, 08:46 AM
That's not what is says on back of the ticket. It says, "Upon correction of the violation, have a law enforcement officer or an authorized inspection/installation station agent sign below (&40616 VC)."

Kilrtoy
06-05-2007, 08:47 AM
That's not what is says on back of the ticket. It says, "Upon correction of the violation, have a law enforcement officer or an authorized inspection/installation station agent sign below (&40616 VC)."
OK

little rowe boat
06-05-2007, 08:48 AM
I stopped getting my windows tinted. It was becoming expensive and a pain in the ass, everytime I had to remove it.

Phat Matt
06-05-2007, 08:49 AM
I stopped getting my windows tinted. It was becoming expensive and a pain in the ass, everytime I had to remove it.
This is the first time I have been pulled over with this vehicle just for tinted windows. The windows have been like this since '03.

BajaMike
06-05-2007, 08:50 AM
If you pay $70 and keep it on, you can get ticketed again.....why give them a reason to stop you in the future??

WYRD
06-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Prehaps it would be better to approach this question in private...................after a night of drinking:D
ah hell bring it to the Dam Run officer WYRD will sign it off my badge # is 0-69-4-2:D :D :D

shippingguy
06-05-2007, 08:51 AM
The CHP have a box on the back that they can check if they want to that states it can only be signed off by CHP. If this box is not checked then any law enforcement agency(officer) can sign off on it.
Mike

little rowe boat
06-05-2007, 08:54 AM
This is the first time I have been pulled over with this vehicle just for tinted windows. The windows have been like this since '03.
03 you have been very lucky especially if you drive the frwys alot.
The CHP are sticklers for tinted windows. The last time I was pulled over for tinted windows the CHP officer told me " If I can't have them neither can you".

Phat Matt
06-05-2007, 08:57 AM
If you pay $70 and keep it on, you can get ticketed again.....why give them a reason to stop you in the future??
Because I like the tint. I can handle once in 4 or 5 years. If they really want to stop me, they will find something.

Froggystyle
06-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Your tint is too dark anyway... Tough to back the boat up! :D
Especially at night, when someone is alledging you are crooked on the launch ramp, and then laughing at you... :D

RitcheyRch
06-05-2007, 08:58 AM
My windows been tinted since 2004 and have only received one ticket. Figure was worth paying the fine and testing my luck.

Phat Matt
06-05-2007, 08:59 AM
03 you have been very lucky especially if you drive the frwys alot.
The CHP are sticklers for tinted windows. The last time I was pulled over for tinted windows the CHP officer told me " If I can't have them neither can you".
I do drive them A LOT. I drive all day long. In fact, I am about to go jump on it again. :D

Phat Matt
06-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Your tint is too dark anyway... Tough to back the boat up! :D
Especially at night, when someone is alledging you are crooked on the launch ramp, and then laughing at you... :D
That is why you can still roll them down. :D Rookie. :) lol.

driverno8
06-05-2007, 09:10 AM
I've got limo all the way around since '03. Never been stopped. I did get a ticket by CHP back in '02 for my old truck. Told the guy flat out I'm not taking the tint off and that'll be signed off with-in an hour. He said fine. I got home, walked across the street to my neighbors (SBC Sheriff). Ticket sat on my desk for 2 months before I got the fine thing in the mail. Paid the $10 and called it good.
If you got the balls, sign it your self and make up a badge number. They don't check at all. Half the cops out there you can't read their signature. Courts don't check either. We use to do it all time way back in the mini-trucking days.

Power_boater
06-05-2007, 09:29 AM
CHP pulled me over this morning on the way to work. He told me it's a fix it ticket. Get it fixed, signed off, and pay $10. Or option two. Pay a $70 fine and keep your tint.
The guy was cool and just doing his job. I should have asked him to sign off in it while he was writing me up. :)
California Window Tint Law
California Tint Law Enacted: 1999
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

dumbandyoung
06-05-2007, 09:38 AM
$70.. thats a good fine. Hell mine was $110:mad:
The lair cop said it would only be $50

RiverDave
06-05-2007, 09:57 AM
I've got limo all the way around since '03. Never been stopped. I did get a ticket by CHP back in '02 for my old truck. Told the guy flat out I'm not taking the tint off and that'll be signed off with-in an hour. He said fine. I got home, walked across the street to my neighbors (SBC Sheriff). Ticket sat on my desk for 2 months before I got the fine thing in the mail. Paid the $10 and called it good.
If you got the balls, sign it your self and make up a badge number. They don't check at all. Half the cops out there you can't read their signature. Courts don't check either. We use to do it all time way back in the mini-trucking days.
LOL... I didn't want to say it. I used to do it all the time when I was street racing. Everything from window tint, exhaust, too low, etc.
Somebody told me with the advancement of computers in the courthouses, that they actually do cross reference nowdays though. Not 100% on that though, becuase the last time I went to a court house the only computers I did see looked like they were out of the movie wargames, and most everything was still the clerk and file method. Atleast down here in North county anyways..
Perhaps one of the nice occifers on here could answer a simple question for us civillian types. If you sign off on a fix it ticket, in your jurisdiction, does anyone come asking you about it later?
Incidentally, I've run pretty dark tint all the way around on my truck, windshield included, for several years now and nobody has ever bothered me about it. Point in fact I've even been pulled over a few times and written speed tickets, and they've never brought it up. It's ridiculously obvious as well so I figured most cops just don't care about tint anymore?
RD

MONEYFURNOTHIN
06-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Matt, when did you get the windows tinted on the vega?

XtrmWakeborder
06-05-2007, 11:45 AM
WTF Mine was 88 dollars and I had to remove it....:devil:

Havasu_Dreamin
06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
I had my CHP issued tint ticket signed off by another agency and had no problems.....

topless
06-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Just look at the guys bage number, name, and signature, copu it and turn it in. Problem solved.:D :D :D

INI
06-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Hey Matt,
I just got the same ticket from the CHP on the Toll Road. Front windshield, door windows, mud flaps, HID headlights and also have the box checked for CHP only and its written on the ticket that i have to have a CHP office sign it off.
Where was the option to pay the 70 dollar fee?
Im all over that...

sandcoon
06-05-2007, 02:49 PM
I once got out of a tinted window ticket - I rolled down the passanger window and showed him my wife

GGR
06-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Was this before or after she met the gardener?

RitcheyRch
06-05-2007, 02:55 PM
The option is when you go to the court house you tell them you prefer to pay the fine for it.
Hey Matt,
I just got the same ticket from the CHP on the Toll Road. Front windshield, door windows, mud flaps, HID headlights and also have the box checked for CHP only and its written on the ticket that i have to have a CHP office sign it off.
Im all over that...

Phat Matt
06-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Hey Matt,
Im all over that...
The cop said it was $70.
It says no where on the ticket that CHP has to sign it off.

TahitiTiger
06-05-2007, 03:15 PM
one of my coworkers got pulled over by the local 5-0. No option to leave it on, ticket reads it MUST be removed. Officer even told him that if he wants he can make have the vehicle towed, or remove it on the spot. On a side note though his windows were extremley dark.

Waist Deep
06-05-2007, 03:18 PM
just register your car in AZ. Flippin stupid azz law for bored cops. Dont think his windows on his personal car werent tinted.

INI
06-05-2007, 03:21 PM
The option is when you go to the court house you tell them you prefer to pay the fine for it.
sweet ill give that a shot
thanks,

Brewzed
06-05-2007, 03:22 PM
It's good to have some 5-0 as friends for this type of thing.

RitcheyRch
06-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Worked for me about 4 months ago.
sweet ill give that a shot
thanks,

CarBizIndio
06-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Option #3 go to court and pled not guilty and wait for the officer to not show up on your trial day.

photo chick
06-05-2007, 03:33 PM
just register your car in AZ. Flippin stupid azz law for bored cops. Dont think his windows on his personal car werent tinted.
Now now....the law is to protect the officer pulling you over, he/she needs to be able to see in the car to be aware of what you are doing!
My windows are tinted very dark also but I understand why the law is there....They don't seem to care now that I've moved to TX, now I just get speeding tickets.......
My dad was LAPD, a little defensive for them I guess:)

RitcheyRch
06-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Option 4. Rent or borrow a car/truck just like yours and put your plates on it. Take to CHP and get signed off.

photo chick
06-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Option 4. Rent or borrow a car/truck just like yours and put your plates on it. Take to CHP and get signed off.
Smart.....:D

77charger
06-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I had one signed off before also.chp gave ticket lasd signed off.Unless chp states "must clear thru chp only" which they have done before

RitcheyRch
06-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Did it before. :D
Smart.....:D

Outnumbered
06-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Semi-thread-jacking tint question...:D
Dealer tinted the windows in my truck and I want to go darker. Do they just lay another layer over the existing or do they take it off and put on a darker film? I did not pay for the tint that is on there. I told the dealer it was too light and to take it off the contract so it is no biggie to remove it.

unleashed
06-05-2007, 04:10 PM
I just got pulled over the other day by CHP. Let me go with a warning. I to think its a lame law. I spend alot of my time in the desert and the tinting defnitly keeps it a bit cooler in the truck! I hear Nevada and Arizona have no tint law??
Deano
UnleashedHardcoreApparel (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)
UnleashedMyspace (http://www.myspace.com/unleashedhardcore)

Outnumbered
06-05-2007, 04:15 PM
I just got pulled over the other day by CHP. Let me go with a warning. I to think its a lame law. I spend alot of my time in the desert and the tinting defnitly keeps it a bit cooler in the truck! I hear Nevada and Arizona have no tint law??
Deano
UnleashedHardcoreApparel (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)
UnleashedMyspace (http://www.myspace.com/unleashedhardcore)
I'm not sure on the AZ thing. I think there is a law but it is not enforced. At least that is what the tint guy told me last time I had a car done here. It is just too focking hot here in the summer to jack around with tint tickets.

RitcheyRch
06-05-2007, 04:18 PM
If is a film they need to remove it. If is the factory tint they can put new film over it.
Semi-thread-jacking tint question...:D
Dealer tinted the windows in my truck and I want to go darker. Do they just lay another layer over the existing or do they take it off and put on a darker film? I did not pay for the tint that is on there. I told the dealer it was too light and to take it off the contract so it is no biggie to remove it.

Phat Matt
06-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Now now....the law is to protect the officer pulling you over, he/she needs to be able to see in the car to be aware of what you are doing!
My windows are tinted very dark also but I understand why the law is there....They don't seem to care now that I've moved to TX, now I just get speeding tickets.......
My dad was LAPD, a little defensive for them I guess:)
I get it to. I have many friends that are cops. Even my brother in law is a cop. When I do get pulled over the windows go down so they can clearly see me before they get up to the truck. Today I even pulled my keys out and put them on the dash. I also drove probably two miles before I pulled over. The shoulder was not that deep and I was ahead of one of those wide load homes that take up two lanes. It wouldn't have been safe so I waited for an exit. I was wondering if he thought I would ever pull over. :)

unleashed
06-05-2007, 05:46 PM
I get it to. I have many friends that are cops. Even my brother in law is a cop. When I do get pulled over the windows go down so they can clearly see me before they get up to the truck. Today I even pulled my keys out and put them on the dash. I also drove probably two miles before I pulled over. The shoulder was not that deep and I was ahead of one of those wide load homes that take up two lanes. It wouldn't have been safe so I waited for an exit. I was wondering if he thought I would ever pull over. :)
hahaha..I did the same thing...all windows came down immediatly before he pulled me over...so no threat! maybe that should be the law. If u have tinted windows its ok but roll all windows down when pulled over!
Deano
UnleashedhardcoreApparel (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)
Unleashedmyspace (http://www.myspace.com/unleashedhardcore)

Phat Matt
06-05-2007, 05:57 PM
hahaha..I did the same thing...all windows came down immediatly before he pulled me over...so no threat! maybe that should be the law. If u have tinted windows its ok but roll all windows down when pulled over!
Deano
Did you unload your clip in the AK? I did. :D :)

driverno8
06-05-2007, 06:00 PM
There's some tint places out there that will charge you $20 extra for window insurance. You get stopped. Bring it in. They'll scrape it for you. Take the car to get signed off. Bring it back and they'll tint it again. Over and over.
On another note. The cop cars in Victorville are tinted. Maybe why I don't get bothered.

RitcheyRch
06-05-2007, 06:22 PM
I always do that and one time Mr CHP made me roll them back up and when saw that they were tinted he ticketed me for it.
Deano

riverbound
06-05-2007, 09:53 PM
I have always had non CHP sign off my "fix it" tickets and have never had a problem (unless this changed in the last 6 months)

Riverdog1
06-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Because I like the tint. I can handle once in 4 or 5 years. If they really want to stop me, they will find something.
If you are or have ever done anything wrong while driving:devil: :devil: you shouldn't draw attention to yourself in the first place. That tinted window will become a whole lot more expensive than a fix it ticket:idea:

Beer-30
06-06-2007, 05:09 AM
Only a "281" (off-white, almost cardboard) is CHP only. A regular ticket (yellow) is ok to be signed off by any LE. However, it is usually the court notice that needs to be signed off. Most judges don't care about the box on the back of the ticket, they want to see their own paperwork filled out.

Garrddogg
06-06-2007, 05:59 AM
You didnt remind him who pays his salary? and who he works for?:D

my21advantage
06-06-2007, 06:12 AM
You didnt remind him who pays his salary? and who he works for?:D
Wait, let me give you the nickle back that you're contributing:D

AZJD
06-06-2007, 06:15 AM
If you know any tinters that would write you a fake removal reciept, thats what I always do.

Riverbass
06-06-2007, 06:36 AM
You know that boat cop must love this post. The last time I got hit by CHP I had to go to there inspection station.

Brewzed
06-06-2007, 06:44 AM
[QUOTE=Phat Matt;2602887]I get it to. I have many friends that are cops. Even my brother in law is a cop.
If you have friends that are cops and a cop in the family, why are you even stressing about it if you know what I'm saying. Nothing an 18 pack wont cure.

Phat Matt
06-06-2007, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE=Phat Matt;2602887]I get it to. I have many friends that are cops. Even my brother in law is a cop.
If you have friends that are cops and a cop in the family, why are you even stressing about it if you know what I'm saying. Nothing an 18 pack wont cure.
I'm not stressing. I was posting my morning experience. :)

FOREVER2DOXIES
06-06-2007, 08:43 AM
last summer i got pulled over by CHP out here in Castaic. he mentioned my tint job and of course i told him i know the law...but my dermatologist recommended tint since i had history of skin cancer. CHP just stood there in awe...laughed a little....told me he never heard THAT one before. as I was getting the letter from my derm he smiled and told me "dont worry...i will let it go. have a good day". either way i would have paid the $70 and kept my tint...:D

Beer-30
06-06-2007, 02:08 PM
...but my dermatologist recommended tint since i had history of skin cancer. CHP just stood there in awe...laughed a little....told me he never heard THAT one before.
26708(b)(10): Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.
So, it is fine to have something on the windows forward of the driver's seat if you have a medical condition and applicable note. However, it has to be removed during darkness.

RitcheyRch
06-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Just roll the windows down at night. :D
So, it is fine to have something on the windows forward of the driver's seat if you have a medical condition and applicable note. However, it has to be removed during darkness.

Beer-30
06-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Just roll the windows down at night. :D
Exactly!

FOREVER2DOXIES
06-11-2007, 07:10 AM
26708(b)(10): Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.
ummmm.....is this a JOKE?! <the last part of this statement> HAHAHHA....

Beer-30
06-11-2007, 07:16 AM
ummmm.....is this a JOKE?! <the last part of this statement> HAHAHHA....
Nope. That's straight from the book. Bascially, they are saying you can have something that temporarily sticks (suction cups) onto the window for daytime only.

Garrddogg
06-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Wait, let me give you the nickle back that you're contributing:D
How bout a bag of Ice and well call it even!:D

RitcheyRch
06-11-2007, 08:00 AM
The tint is temporary if you carry around a razor blade. :D
Nope. That's straight from the book. Bascially, they are saying you can have something that temporarily sticks (suction cups) onto the window for daytime only.

blown65
06-11-2007, 08:00 AM
We have a prescription from our eye doc for tinted windows. Got a ticket and they threw it out. Its just a matter of finding the right eye doc. :)

Riverguy92345
06-11-2007, 09:37 AM
There is another post on here about hummers while driving on Rice road.
I wonder if tinted windows and hummers have anything in common....lol

Baja Big Dog
06-11-2007, 09:58 AM
There is another post on here about hummers while driving on Rice road.
I wonder if tinted windows and hummers have anything in common....lol
Thats why the cops in Victorville have tinted windows as mentioned earlier, so the crack ho's can pay there traffic ticket fines!!!:D

RiverDave
06-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I noticed nobody ever answered my question.. :(
If an officer signs a fix it ticket, does anyone come asking them about it later?
2nd question for a hypothetical.. Lets say you get pulled over and had your windows down.. Realistically can they make you roll them up to check them for tint? I don't think there's anything in the book about needing side windows?
RD

Cole Trickle
06-11-2007, 10:33 AM
If an officer signs a fix it ticket, does anyone come asking them about it later?
2nd question for a hypothetical.. Lets say you get pulled over and had your windows down.. Realistically can they make you roll them up to check them for tint? I don't think there's anything in the book about needing side windows?
RD
I got a tint ticket in Huntington some years back with my windows down. Officer said he saw my car go by hours earlier and knew it was me. I played the my windows are broken game when he asked me to roll them up....didn't really matter I still got the ticket on a wednesday at 10:30pm in the middle of winter. (Biggest chicken shit ticket I have ever gotten:) )

n8dawg
06-11-2007, 11:51 AM
I've had a Sheriff sign off on a mudflap chp ticket before.

Beer-30
06-11-2007, 07:40 PM
I've had a Sheriff sign off on a mudflap chp ticket before.
As previously mentioned, any LE can sign off a 215 (ticket), only CHP can sign off a 281 (notice of mechanical violation).

Beer-30
06-11-2007, 07:50 PM
RD
1st: Only on repeat-offenders that become known to the area. If someone keeps defying the section and word gets out that someone keeps signing it off for a person - there will be an investigation as to who/why.
2nd: Typically only happens when someone sees a person roll them down. That is "contempt of cop". Someone is basically yelling, "hey, if I roll them down, it's Kings-X, you can't get me! Neener neener!" A large% of the time, if you just left them up, you wouldn't get any attention. Roll them down in LE presence, and it's a signature for sure.

famaffair
06-11-2007, 08:58 PM
As previously mentioned, any LE can sign off a 215 (ticket), only CHP can sign off a 281 (notice of mechanical violation).
Beer 30, you must be a CTC-?? in West Sac. Only someone in tans would no the diff, between a 215 and a 281. I wore tans for 8 yrs and I recently lat to another dept.

Beer-30
06-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Beer 30, you must be a CTC-?? in West Sac. Only someone in tans would no the diff, between a 215 and a 281. I wore tans for 8 yrs and I recently lat to another dept.
One of nine-four ;) Shhhhhhhh. :cool:

famaffair
06-11-2007, 09:06 PM
One of nine-four ;) Shhhhhhhh. :cool:
one of nine eight,here 15???

Phat Matt
06-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Are we speaking in code now?
10-22
:D

jbone
06-11-2007, 11:15 PM
If an officer signs a fix it ticket, does anyone come asking them about it
later?
RD
1st question: In 18 yrs I've never heard anything about any fix it tix I've signed off. I've often wondered myself what stops people from getting the name and badge number from another officer/deputy and just using that. Heck, the two guys listed in this post could probably exchange name and badge numbers of the CHP officers and call it a day. BUT, what if?
2nd question: This would be asking for trouble. I don't advise. My guess is you'd be facing more than just a fix it ticket for tint. Remember the scene Porky's. That busted headlight could be a problem.:D

flatnfast
06-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Cops only pick on certain vehicles, Seems now its on 4x4 trucks, lifted especially, The windows on my hotrods were tinted and i have had on more then 1 occassion CHP officers come up beside me and give the thumbs up, http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/233948-4.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/37-3.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/46-4.JPG