PDA

View Full Version : HONDO T-DECK RUNNER BOTTOM

lakesmodified
09-27-2002, 11:21 AM
I have a question for those "V-drive gurus....
I'm presently looking at purchasing a 1979 Hondo T-Deck Runnerbottom project and was wondering how stable these hulls are at high speed? Do they take chop at all? Can they turn hard, or are they mostly a straight line runner? Anything specifically I should look at? What would a typical 1979 with a mild 454 in running condition sell for? Thanks in advance :D , Ivan

Sangster
09-27-2002, 11:50 AM
Check out www.dragboats.com (http://www.dragboats.com) You will find plenty of prices :cool: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

superdave013
09-27-2002, 12:29 PM
Chop, no
turn hard, no
mostly a straight line runner, yes and damn good at it.
A few things to look at. Look at the stringers to see if the are soild. They sometimes come loose by the v drive on the right side.
Look at the inside of the floor. If the glass is getting clowdy looking could be starting to delamante.
I had one and I miss it every day.

stix818
09-27-2002, 12:39 PM
My old man currently owns a 1980 Hondo that we use to run in Pro Gas Flat for years. Never had a problem and was pretty forgiving. Thing ran really well, ran safe and straight. Since it was set up for drag it didn't turn all that well. You can fix that problem though. Is this the first time looking for an older flatbottom?

HavasuDreamin'
09-27-2002, 12:50 PM
Definately check out the classifieds at www.dragboats.com. (http://www.dragboats.com.) I would say for one that is in "excellent" condition with a mild 454...probably looking at $10,000.
I absolutely love the runner bottoms and flatbottoms, but IMHO, you can really negotiate on these boats because there isn't a HUGE market for them. Good Luck

lakesmodified
09-27-2002, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all the input. This would be my first "Runner Bottom", though I have owned a couple true flat bottoms over the years. I have never ridden in a runner bottom hull, so I have no idea what to expect. So how do you go about making them turn? Thanks again, Ivan

GofastRacer
09-27-2002, 06:47 PM
lakesmodified:
Thanks for all the input. This would be my first "Runner Bottom", though I have owned a couple true flat bottoms over the years. I have never ridden in a runner bottom hull, so I have no idea what to expect. So how do you go about making them turn? Thanks again, IvanFirst, what do you want to do?, go straight or run circles??..A runner bottom is a drag boat, they are made to go straight and fast in nice water!..If you want to to be able to run in the shit and do turns, then you need a circle boat!!.One thing to remember, you can't do both in one boat!!.They are two different species!!....

Sangster
09-27-2002, 06:55 PM
Like Eagles & Seagulls

GofastRacer
09-27-2002, 07:14 PM
Couldn't put it better myself!..... :)

RH
09-28-2002, 09:57 AM
Could someone tell me what T-Deck and Runnerbottom mean ?
[ September 28, 2002, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: RH ]

lakesmodified
09-30-2002, 06:05 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I have owned a couple flatties, but never a runner bottom, so I wanted to amke sure it was going to be something I wanted. From the help I received here, I definitely decided against the runner bottom hull. Thanks again, Ivan

V-Drive Tom
09-30-2002, 07:06 AM
SISSY.....Now get on over to the I/O boards,......GO ON..!!!! TOM..

superdave013
09-30-2002, 07:19 AM
V-Drive Tom:
SISSY.....Now get on over to the I/O boards,......GO ON..!!!! TOM..LOL!

GofastRacer
09-30-2002, 07:29 AM
V-Drive Tom:
SISSY.....Now get on over to the I/O boards,......GO ON..!!!! TOM..Now, now, let's not be too harsh, maybe the man wants a boat that can TURN!!.. :D :D :D

V-Drive Tom
09-30-2002, 08:06 AM
GOFastRacer, I was counting on you, or Dave to mention that if you put a full size fin on it and a rudder thats not cut down,(12") It will turn as good as a man needs. eek! :D TOM..

GofastRacer
09-30-2002, 08:25 AM
That's true but they can't handle the junk!!.. :D

CircleJerk
09-30-2002, 08:52 AM
If I recall, George Nordling and the new owner of his Sanger runner bottom just whipped up on the Nostalgic Circle Boats at Moses Lake WA!! It was a bubble deck 1975 model with a long wedge rudder and 10 to l 427 single carb. It averaged 67 mph on the 2 1/4 mile race in pretty rough water. What does this SAY?? Jerkagain :rolleyes:

WILDERTHANU54
09-30-2002, 02:18 PM
V-Drive Tom:
GOFastRacer, I was counting on you, or Dave to mention that if you put a full size fin on it and a rudder thats not cut down,(12") It will turn as good as a man needs. eek! :D TOM..YOU MIGHT NEED A FULLSIZE FIN AS WELL? ? ? MY COLE HAS LIKE A NOTHING SIZE FIN ON IT, 10" RUDDER. THE THING DOES NOT TURN FOR SHIT!!
GEOFF

RH
09-30-2002, 05:24 PM
or not !

GofastRacer
09-30-2002, 06:24 PM
CircleJerk:
If I recall, George Nordling and the new owner of his Sanger runner bottom just whipped up on the Nostalgic Circle Boats at Moses Lake WA!! It was a bubble deck 1975 model with a long wedge rudder and 10 to l 427 single carb. It averaged 67 mph on the 2 1/4 mile race in pretty rough water. What does this SAY?? Jerkagain :rolleyes: I'll bet that Sanger has the motor facing the right way and not backwards like a dragboat??, also, runner bottoms are legal in circles as long as they meet APBA specs which are totally different than a true dragboat, Sanger made quite a few of those for circles... There is no way a Canyon, Cole, etc, with their bottom design, no matter what fins or rudder you put on them, could run circles, even with the motor facing the right way, it just wouldn't work!!!... :)

GofastRacer
09-30-2002, 06:57 PM
WILDERTHANU54:
V-Drive Tom:
GOFastRacer, I was counting on you, or Dave to mention that if you put a full size fin on it and a rudder thats not cut down,(12") It will turn as good as a man needs. eek! :D TOM..YOU MIGHT NEED A FULLSIZE FIN AS WELL? ? ? MY COLE HAS LIKE A NOTHING SIZE FIN ON IT, 10" RUDDER. THE THING DOES NOT TURN FOR SHIT!!
GEOFFThat's because your boat is made to go straight, FAST!!!...... :cool:

WILDERTHANU54
09-30-2002, 07:28 PM
TRUE, THATS WHAT I HAVE IT FOR!!! GOFAST, I REALLY WANT A RIDE IN THAT 20' WHEN YOU GET. I LOVE THOSE THINGS!! I WANT YOU TO TRY AND FREAK OUT THIS KID WITH SOME HIGH FLYIN' PASSES.
GEOFF
[ September 30, 2002, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: WILDERTHANU54 ]

smalls
09-30-2002, 07:31 PM
WILDERTHANU54:
TRUE, THATS WHAT I HAVE IT FOR!!! GOFAST, I REALLY WANT A RIDE IN THAT 20' WHEN YOU GET. I LOVE THOSE THINGS!! I WANT YOU TO TRY AND FREAK OUT THIS KID WITH SOME HIGH FLYIN' PASSES.
GEOFF:) :)

RH
09-30-2002, 10:44 PM
Maybe the jet guys can help me out on this one ?

Rexone
09-30-2002, 10:58 PM
RH, Runner bottom is a flatbottom "style" hull with a raised center pad and runners that run up the outside edges of the bottom, making the boat lift and actually ride on air to some extent, much the same concept as an air entrapment hull. Designs and runner heights have varied much from different manufacturers which have all applied their own tweaks to the design over the years. Restrictions as to runner height has generally been specified by the racing organizations. Generally, runner bottoms don't turn well but are much faster than flatbottoms because of the air (less wetted surface drag). There are exceptions to this though as there have been runner bottom circle boats as well, specifically designed to turn well (I had a Sanger that had this bottom which was a K boat)...turned on a dime, but not quite as fast as the drag type bottom with the same power. T deck is simply a cut out deck for the driver as I understand the terminology.

Rexone
09-30-2002, 11:07 PM
I guess they didn't notice you with your small avatar :D

lakesmodified
10-01-2002, 07:00 AM
V-Drive Tom:
SISSY.....Now get on over to the I/O boards,......GO ON..!!!! TOM..Damn, now I'm a SISSY!!! Go under readers rides and type in "Hemi" There you can see pics of my last flattie with a bored and stroked Enderle injected 392 Hemi. Well over a 100 MPH ride! I just want a ride that will also turn! There's nothing to going 100 MPH... Now try going 80 MPH and making a hard turn. That's what I'm talking about. Ivan

ssmike
10-01-2002, 09:56 AM
lakesmodified:
V-Drive Tom:
SISSY.....Now get on over to the I/O boards,......GO ON..!!!! TOM..Damn, now I'm a SISSY!!! Go under readers rides and type in "Hemi" There you can see pics of my last flattie with a bored and stroked Enderle injected 392 Hemi. Well over a 100 MPH ride! I just want a ride that will also turn! There's nothing to going 100 MPH... Now try going 80 MPH and making a hard turn. That's what I'm talking about. IvanGet a circle boat if you want to turn. Check out mine or GoFastRacer's! Fast and can out-turn anything except a Champ Outboard racer.
ssmike

GofastRacer
10-01-2002, 10:46 AM
If you're looking to do some hard turns and be able to run in choppy water, then get a Biesmeyer type boat, as Mike says, they are fast and will out turn just about anything and also, they are a safe boat!!!... :cool:

GofastRacer
10-01-2002, 10:53 AM
WILDERTHANU54:
GEOFFWilder, if I get that bad boy, your name is on that seat for sure!!..Only thing, they aren't as scary as you would think, I found that out the first time I rode in one, the're just a blast!!...... :cool: :cool:

gunslinger
10-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Lakes... it's all about the Hondo T-Deck Runnerbottom!!! :cool: :cool:

RH
10-01-2002, 12:57 PM
Rexone - Thank you Mike

lakesmodified
10-01-2002, 06:32 PM
[/qb][/QUOTE]Get a circle boat if you want to turn. Check out mine or GoFastRacer's! Fast and can out-turn anything except a Champ Outboard racer.
ssmike[/QB][/QUOTE]
SSMike, nice ride you have.... GoFastRacer, DAMN awesome ride you have. Not to take anything away from SSMike, but your ride is a work of art! I checked out ALL the pictures on your web-site, and to say the least, I was extremely impressed. Is all your hardware anodized or powdercoated? I couldn't really tell from the pictures... But damn it looks great!

WILDERTHANU54
10-01-2002, 06:36 PM
DUDE SANGSTER, ARE YOU KIDDING BRO!!!!!!!! THAT AVATAR KILLS IT!!!!!!!
GEOFF

GofastRacer
10-01-2002, 07:29 PM
lakesmodified:
[/qb]Get a circle boat if you want to turn. Check out mine or GoFastRacer's! Fast and can out-turn anything except a Champ Outboard racer.
ssmike[/b][/QUOTE]
SSMike, nice ride you have.... GoFastRacer, DAMN awesome ride you have. Not to take anything away from SSMike, but your ride is a work of art! I checked out ALL the pictures on your web-site, and to say the least, I was extremely impressed. Is all your hardware anodized or powdercoated? I couldn't really tell from the pictures... But damn it looks great![/QB][/QUOTE]
Thanks for the compliment Lakes, everything is anodized, no powdercoat!..Not to push the issue, but it is for sale!!........ :cool:

lakesmodified
10-01-2002, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the compliment Lakes, everything is anodized, no powdercoat!..Not to push the issue, but it is for sale!!........ :cool: [/QB][/QUOTE]
YES, I did notice the "For Sale" post.... Unfortunately though, a little more than I'm looking to spend. Not that I don't think it's worth it, just I have too many projects in the fire, and not enough left over for a boat of that caliber. Thanks, Ivan

RH
10-01-2002, 08:30 PM
[ October 01, 2002, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: RH ]

GofastRacer
10-02-2002, 11:36 AM
lakesmodified:
Thanks for the compliment Lakes, everything is anodized, no powdercoat!..Not to push the issue, but it is for sale!!........ :cool: YES, I did notice the "For Sale" post.... Unfortunately though, a little more than I'm looking to spend. Not that I don't think it's worth it, just I have too many projects in the fire, and not enough left over for a boat of that caliber. Thanks, Ivan[/QB][/QUOTE]
Hey, no prob man, that's cool!!!... :cool: