PDA

View Full Version : Weird symptoms

jm boater
06-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Went out on the lake Sunday and ran all around with no probs.
Heading back to ramp racing a buddy. Hit some ruff wake and slowed it down a little. Got back on it and noticed that my tach was bouncing down from 3500 to 3k and back and forth. Boat didnt seem to slow down. I kept my eye on it and then the engine seem to load up sorta.Not missing, just when giving gas, it fell on its face. I shut it down and did some checks. Didnt find anything loose. Started it back up and no probs. Took the family to the ramp and grabbed a buddy. Went out and did a hot pass and everything is fine.
So I am guessing that its going to end up happening again at some point.
Any help in what to check for right now that its on the trailer?
Im running a 454 with logs,holley double pumper,performer intake,Mallory dual point dizzy but with Pertronix internals and stock coil with ballast. New cap and rotor. New guages.
Ive been out 5 times with new intake.pertronix, and gauges with no probs. First time with it legged for that long though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fleetimus
06-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Check all of your ground wires.

centerhill condor
06-05-2007, 02:50 PM
floats bouncing?

jm boater
06-07-2007, 08:25 AM
yeah I checked out my connections and all were tight. Im kinda stumped as to why the tach dropped as it did. When it was acting up it dropped only 500rpm and the boat didnt seem to drop in speed at all. Seems like I should be able to feel a loss like that. I was running at 4k when it happened.
I pulled the dizzy cap off today and all looks fine in there.

VDRIVERACING
06-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Water slosh up and hit wires/connections? May want to bring an extra paddle next time out...

hurleyr
06-11-2007, 05:13 PM
You didn't say wether your boat was a jet or outdrive. My old jet boat would do that if I sucked anything up in the jet. After a few hard runs it would normally work its way out.
There where a few times when we had to stop and clean rocks, weeds, ect, out of the impeller. A little pebble can cause a bunch of turbulance.

g935
06-12-2007, 06:51 AM
You didn't say wether your boat was a jet or outdrive. My old jet boat would do that if I sucked anything up in the jet. After a few hard runs it would normally work its way out.
There where a few times when we had to stop and clean rocks, weeds, ect, out of the impeller. A little pebble can cause a bunch of turbulance.
I'm think'n the same thing here. When you say "Bouncing" between 3500 and 4K, is the tach needle spiking or just moving back and forth? I'm assuming it was just moving which would suggest to me that there was something that was sucked up in the pump and then it freed up. If it's an outdrive, the prop could have wrapped around something and then freed up. You should be fine. FWIW
Geoff

CarBizIndio
06-16-2007, 03:26 PM
bad connection some where or not a very good tach.