PDA

View Full Version : MSD Pro billet dist. end play

Cs19
06-05-2007, 09:21 PM
How much end play are these things supposed to have? Mine seems excessive.

steelcomp
06-06-2007, 06:17 AM
What do you mean by end play?
The endplay I think you're referring to is built into the dist. There might be .020-.030", but it really dosen't matter.
Because of the bevel in the gears and direction of rotation of the cam, the dist. shaft is forced in a certain direction, and the gear is made to ride against a load bearing surface. With a ford, it's all forced downward and the gear rides agsinst a boss in the block. With the BB Chev, the shaft is forced upwards, and the gear pushes against the bottom of the dist. housing. I mentioned before about checking the gear/cam alignment on a Chev. since the intake is basically what dictated the height of the dist.
Hope that helps.

Cs19
06-06-2007, 07:24 AM
I mean the actual shaft in the dist having slop or end play.As I look around on the internet I see moroso, etc. makes shims to set the end play on the dist. shaft.

Cs19
06-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Im told .010 is what MSD calls for. I have .060 right now. I will look into some shims I guess.

RCB19
06-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Im told .010 is what MSD calls for. I have .060 right now. I will look into some shims I guess.
:D

steelcomp
06-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Im told .010 is what MSD calls for. I have .060 right now. I will look into some shims I guess.Then why didn't MSD make it .010? Sounds like a bandaid. I wonder if that's going to adversely effect your cap/rotor clearance.
I have a brand new 85551 that has maybe .005 endplay. Sounds like somethings not right with your dist. You might look into that before you start shimming. Just a thought.
(I'll sell you this one for 2 C notes)

Squeezing Spectra
06-07-2007, 06:13 PM
I just took a new msd distributor apart yesterday to put on a bronze drive gear and it has 3 shims on the shaft to set the end play that i have never seen on another msd, maybee they forgot to shim it correctly ? :D

Cs19
06-07-2007, 06:31 PM
not sure why its this way, its not a new piece and I got it used so maybe someone tinkered with it in the past, or maybe the new gear I installed has different dimensions which make for more end play,not sure. I did shim it today and i ended up with .013 end play, i checked the rotor positioning (after shimming) in relation to the cap and its fine, contacts on the rotor land in the middle of the contacts inside the cap. You would have to shim it a ton to mess up that relationship between the cap and rotor contacts.
I will double check cam/dist gear engagement once the manifold is on and will adjust the slip collar accordingly if needed.
If anyone has anything to add, please do.