PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Mount ?????Please Help!!!

DansBlown73Nordic
07-27-2002, 05:21 PM
My 76 Schiada has a fuel tank mounted up under the bow of the boat. You have to crawl up-inside to fill the tank. The tank has a vented cap. The fumes are up under the dash and front deck. Until tonight I had thought it was no big deal.The last owner thought this was a great idea.
I was up under the dash fixing some other stuff. As I sat there I thought HOLY SHIT all I can smell is GAS!!! eek!
I have a brand new set of plastic fuel tanks. Saddle type side tanks.
The problem is the instructions tell you not to do this and don't do that. I have read them a couple times... :confused:
So if I was to put the tanks in with a plywood frame that touches the tank padded with some 1/4 rubber, and fasten the frame to the floor and to the inside edge of the boat.
Do you guys think this sounds like a good temporary fix to mount a tank? It says not to make the holding fixture to tight.
When I get to the interior installation. I will make a permanent install. wink
Im going to have to do this in the morning. So if anyone has any input please spill your guts. Thanks Dan

Infomaniac
07-27-2002, 06:59 PM
Most boat I have owned with side tanks have a metal saddle that bolts through the floor and metal straps that wrap the tank. Rubber padded.
Are your tanks round?

boatguy222
07-27-2002, 07:52 PM
Hey, Dan
I still have the round Stainless Russell Tanks With mounts out of my 20' Schiada, 24 gallons each! $250 + frieght, they will last ALOT longer then Plastic!!!
Marc

Sangster
07-28-2002, 04:35 PM
All the boats I've seen with plastic tanks have a piece of carpet glassed down to the floor for the tanks to set on ......

DetroitJim
07-28-2002, 06:00 PM
If you go with plastic tanks, believe the manufacturer's advice about leaving some clearance. The tanks expand considerably when gasoline is added. The polyethylene reacts with gas and grows. You may want to condition the tanks with gas before mocking up the mounts. My tanks grew nearly an inch vertically.
DJ

GofastRacer
07-28-2002, 09:09 PM
Hey Dan, save yourself a lot of grief, buy BOATGUY's tanks, you can't beat the price, just bolt them in, done deal!!..BTW, they look cool and will also increase the value of your boat.....Just my .02.. wink

DansBlown73Nordic
07-29-2002, 12:12 PM
Im sure Boatguys tanks are a great deal, however I don't think they have a spot for fuel gauges. I also don't think they have a spot for a vent. They couldn't be hidden behind the trim panels. To Big!!! Otherwise they are perfect.... wink