PDA

View Full Version : DSL download speed prob

SB
02-13-2006, 08:12 AM
So I have bellsouth DSL at work which works fine at 256k. I order it at home (laptop) and it's super slow, downloading stuff at about 25k. I switched out modems, switched out wires, took the laptop to work and it works fine. I ran a connection speed test and the test says it's fine at 256k. But I know it's slow, and when I download video clips I can see the transfer rate is still at about 25k. Any thoughts?

beever_retreever
02-13-2006, 08:32 AM
So I have bellsouth DSL at work which works fine at 256k. I order it at home (laptop) and it's super slow, downloading stuff at about 25k. I switched out modems, switched out wires, took the laptop to work and it works fine. I ran a connection speed test and the test says it's fine at 256k. But I know it's slow, and when I download video clips I can see the transfer rate is still at about 25k. Any thoughts?
Depends on the upload speed from site your downloading from. If you've already run a speed test (dslreports.com), and your download is benchmarked at 256k, then the 25k speed would probably be from the site the video is hosted on. 256k seems awfully slow for DSL. A typical SBC DSL base package from SoCal or Kansas has a minimum download rate of 768k. Post a link to the video and I'll let you know what my download speed is.

bigq
02-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Are you sure your not getting bits and bytes mixed up? 256kbps dsl is about 28kB. 256 DSL is no speed demon. Some could depend on the site you are downloading from.

HavaTan
02-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Both these guys are right.
You should also consider your distance from the CO. The data degrades over distance to a few miles and then is pretty much "good" dial-up speed. The closer you are to the CO the faster it is.