PDA

View Full Version : Jet-Hot Coating vs. Ceramic Coating

tittyman
06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I need my chrome headers redone..starting to yellow. Which process is better? I know the Jet Hot has a sterling which has some shine,but I can only get a ceramic coating here locally..can I make the ceramic look nice and shiney with steel wool? I can get a ceramic coating for $180 here in town..If I want Jet-hot I have to send them out of town..need some opinions..thanks..

BrendellaJet
06-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Where are you located? I think most "coating" shops have several items to choose from and they can be shiney. The going concensus is that jet hot is a rip off.

tittyman
06-06-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm in Lake Coeur d'Alene, Idaho..there are a couple of coating shops in town that only do ceramic coating..both places are $180.00. I think you need a little hotter oven to do the Jet Hot. Both places said I could take a little steel wool after they coat and give it a nice shine. The ceramic coating originally looks like almn. If I want it jet coated I have to send the headers to Oregon and they want $450..Question..anybody have there headers ceramic coated and then take steel wool to them to get them nice a shiney??

Sleeper CP
06-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Tittyman,
I've done both and my headers are currently at Jet Hot in Az getting redone after 14 years. Bang for the buck Jet Hot is : The best deal going. Unless they have changed the ceramic coating process, it didn't take to the cold hot , hot cold heat cycles of the water injected headers on my boat, it started to flake at the water injector bosses on the second trip and spread from there(other's may have had better luck). Or they may have a better process now so that won't be an issue for you.
At 8 yrs on my Jet Hot headers I could still take Mothers polish to them and they looked like new after a little elbow grease.
Sleeper CP

tiki god
06-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Jet-hot Is A Company That Does Ceramic Coating. There Are A Lot Of Shops 'claiming' To Do Ceramic Coating, But At The End Of The Day It's The People That Stand Behind There Work That Count. $180.00 Sounds A Little Too Good To Be True. Try These Guys - Embeeperformance.com - --later

Statue
06-07-2007, 08:41 AM
I coat hundreds of headers weekly. The Jet hot coating, HPC Coating, HTC Coating is all the same. The product itself is made by sermatec and the application of the coating is done the same. In fact, the owners of HPC and Jet Hot once worked for sermatec before going out and starting their own business.
If you guys are local in the Socal area give me a call and I'll get you a smokin' good guy deal.
Wes 951.616.7645

dmontzsta
06-07-2007, 09:27 AM
I coat hundreds of headers weekly. The Jet hot coating, HPC Coating, HTC Coating is all the same. The product itself is made by sermatec and the application of the coating is done the same. In fact, the owners of HPC and Jet Hot once worked for sermatec before going out and starting their own business.
If you guys are local in the Socal area give me a call and I'll get you a smokin' good guy deal.
Wes 951.616.7645
I notice you are in Moreno Valley, is that where you coat the stuff? If so, I would like to see some of your work, since I am in need of having some stuff done and have a few friends waiting to see which direction I go as well.
Thanks.

tiki god
06-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Statue, You Work For Headman - Do You Guys Coat In House Now? I Thought Rose And Gustivo At Engineered Applications Coated Your Stuff.
Either Way Guys, If He Cant Help You - I Know The Guys At Embee In Santa Ana Can. There Is Always A Racer Discount As Well.

Sleeper CP
06-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Instead of re-chromming you might want to try this.
Sleeper CP

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Tittyman,
I've done both and my headers are currently at Jet Hot in Az getting redone after 14 years. Bang for the buck Jet Hot is : The best deal going. Unless they have changed the ceramic coating process, it didn't take to the cold hot , hot cold heat cycles of the water injected headers on my boat, it started to flake at the water injector bosses on the second trip and spread from there(other's may have had better luck). Or they may have a better process now so that won't be an issue for you.
At 8 yrs on my Jet Hot headers I could still take Mothers polish to them and they looked like new after a little elbow grease.
Sleeper CP

jimsplace
06-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Instead of using steel wool to polish the ceramic coating, use an aluminum polish. It will do wonders and not leave the scratches.

76ANTHONY
06-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Wes 951.616.7645
dam, thats good to know, im coming up on some things i need done and moreno valley is only an hour away:idea: :D

BlueNun
06-17-2007, 07:12 PM
I just sent my headers to NitroPlate. I saw some of there stuff at Berenda and I was very impressed. They are coating my Bassetts for $225 inside and out with a warranty just like Jet Hot. NitroPlate is starting to be used on some big name header companies now as well. They make some big claims on there web sight
http://www.nitroplate.com/
I have not got mine back yet but they are very good to deal with so far.

-XTC-
06-17-2007, 08:54 PM
I know this may be a bit of a newbie :sqeyes: question but I hear that the ceramic or nitro or HTC coating does not blue, does that mean that you would no longer need to run water to the headers after they were coated? Or does the headers still need the same water to keep them nice? :idea:

BlueNun
06-17-2007, 09:13 PM
The reason I went to Ceramic is for exactly what you just asked. I dont want to run water thru my headers (I hate the smoking look and I dont like water that close to my valves and I am told there is no blue issues and alot cooler for people climbing around the boat.

raped southwind
07-23-2007, 02:03 PM
ok ive decided to get my headers coated.. ive been quoted 250 from a guy in hesperia and 300 from a guy in vegas 396 why dont u hook me up with ur guy out there.. you said 160 right.. how is his work

Squirtcha?
07-23-2007, 03:44 PM
I know this may be a bit of a newbie :sqeyes: question but I hear that the ceramic or nitro or HTC coating does not blue, does that mean that you would no longer need to run water to the headers after they were coated? Or does the headers still need the same water to keep them nice? :idea:
Right. It won't blue, but it will "frost" (lose some of it's shine) in about the same area that would normally turn blue on a chrome set of headers.
and alot cooler for people climbing around the boat.
Won't make a lot of difference there IMO and personal experience. If you're looking to cool em down, I'd run the water through em. Even with the water they're hot for a pretty longass'd time ceramic coated or not.