PDA

View Full Version : Schiada V-drives

YOLOMIC
06-01-2001, 07:58 PM
I am curious to talk with anybody who owns a 21ft Schiada River Cruiser. I absolutely love this boat but I have not had the opportunity to ride in one or drive one. I am curious as to how they drive, dock manners, ease of skiing, trailering and so forth. I have my eye on a used one down in California. Do they accelerate as hard? I need at least 95 or 100mph and I am going to go with a twin turbo or whipple charged motor so my wife has a sundeck! Thanks for your responses.

superdave013
06-01-2001, 09:18 PM
I have a 20' Schiada. I wanted a 21 but found a good deal on this one. It even fits in my garage much better than the 21 would have. I owned to very nice flatbottoms before this boat. My last flat was blown, injected and ran 8.20 @ 128mph. I love my Schiada so much. It handles so well and just eats the chop. The 21' from what I hear is even better. As far as acceleration goes, I'm pretty jadded from my last boat. But this one is pretty good. Wait until it gets nice and sloppy out and then start picking on the jets. Dock manners, just about like a mid enegine ski boat. They don't steer real well in reveres but it's no big deal at all. I think it gets around the docks pretty well. Sundeck, I have an exposed engine but the non-skid deck is huge! Like an aircraft landing strip. My wife loves it. Speed, mine came with a twin turbo 461. It ran pretty good but i never GPSed it. It's getting a new 573 turbo deal now so it should be able to keep up with most of the Jones's. (hee hee)
All and all, if I hit the lotto I might (would) buy a big off-shore boat. But I would keep this one for my lake steed. Get it, you'll love it. The only down side is that it will cost twice as much as a nice 21' jet boat. Worth every penny!!

Rivertoys_com
07-02-2001, 07:04 PM
SuperDave, I see you're in Anaheim and I assume you go to Mojave or Havasu. If not, where do you hang out (I'm in Fullerton and use Lake Mojave mainly)? I am looking for a 21' v-drive now, probably a Spectra or simular. I currently have an 18' jet. I really want a v-drive. My only concern is with beaching. We can pretty much run up on any beach. That won't be the case with the v-drive (I assume). Do you have any feedback re: beaching in our lakes and such?
thanks,
Jason.

superdave013
07-02-2001, 09:17 PM
Right now I'm changing some things so the boat is scattered all over the floor. Um, beaching? I would not even beach a jet boat. That's just me. I see people beach their v-drives but you will never see me do it. To much stuff underneath it. A small price to pay for a great handling boat. I just toss out the ol anchor and keep her floating.

spectras only
07-02-2001, 09:18 PM
Rivertoys,I have a 20.10 Spectra with jet,no problem beaching in the river where I boat,but my 24 footer with the V-drive is like an anchor to pull off the same spot,despite the fact the boat is much longer ,so it should keep the drive further into deeper water.It all depends on the river bottom,if it's steep no problem,if it's shallow the skeg,shaft,srut will touch the river bottom.As Superdave says the best is to anchor your boat and always have the engine shut off if you have to beach your boat.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited July 02, 2001).]

Timer
07-02-2001, 09:53 PM
When I started boating in the late 70s/early 80s I never saw any boat pulled up on the beach. I was out of it for a number a years and when I recently got back in I was really shocked to see everyone beaching their boat. I figure even with a jet you're going to scratch up the bottom and probably get sand in the pump -- both having an effect on the ultimate speed of your craft. A v-drive would be totally taboo to beach! I probably couldn't even watch someone do it. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/redface.gif

spectras only
07-02-2001, 10:09 PM
The only place I beach my jet is no problem,since the river floor is like mud ,not sand so it wouldn't scratch at all,the only way I would beach my boat on sand like yours in california,with an old life jacket under the keel.

Rivertoys_com
07-02-2001, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I said I beach anyplace but actually I'm rather picky about where I beach. I never have the engine on in shallow water. I have thought about the sand getting into the pump and I even reach under from time to time to see if I feel anything, esp before shove off. Make no mistake thought the bottom does suffer from beaching and I really should be doing it anyway.
There are too many pluses for me not get a v-drive. More top end on less fuel, gotta love that! If any of you guys know of a 21' v-drive for sale, let me know, jason@rivertoys.com thanks!

Brewer
07-03-2001, 08:46 AM
I have a 19' Schiada and have never beached it. As said above, use that anchor and mooring lines, and watch out for inexperienced boaters who will want to "bounce" off the boat (like at the sand bars). The price of the hardware is just not worth it for a little convenience.

EricU
07-10-2001, 05:53 PM
I have a 21' Schiada river cruiser, (going to be at Berryessa this weekend!). It's my first V-drive, used to run jets.
I am currently running a LS6 style 454, and I want to add a Whipple, intercooler and an EFI this winter, then next winter a 4.25" stroke crank. The boat tops out at about 65 now and this is a little slow for me. But this boat will blow away any of my old jets as soon as the chop starts! Another reason that I went with the Schiada is the quality of, well everything and the boat will handle all the horsepower that I will throw at it.
Eric.

schiada96
08-03-2001, 07:45 AM
Schiada's rule !!!
And mine has a cool story. I still owe Lee a little money on it. I have a friends with fast boats, one a blown alcohol flat two with twin turbo 21 ft schiadas like mine.
I bought a bare hull from lee and made all the parts from the tanks to the ski tow and rigged it myself it took a long time but now I have a honest 95 mph boat.
The engine is a 510 twin turbo. I traded work on a connely 25ft v-drive for the turbo
parts less turbos, I'm running turbonetics TO4's
Jeff

infotraker
09-10-2001, 07:17 PM
Just a Schiada note: I put together a 1968 Schiada flat ( 18') with a Bored 440 dodge, tunnel and still use it for skiing every summer (had it since 1968 ) !!!

hottrodder
09-11-2001, 03:47 PM
I'm anxious to hear the numbers on their new offshore 30, or is it 32? I can't remember and their webpage has been down recently

BADAXE
09-12-2001, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by hottrodder:
I'm anxious to hear the numbers on their new offshore 30, or is it 32? I can't remember and their webpage has been down recently
They do have a new 32 footer. There was one at the LA Boat Show. Also, one raced at the Catalina Ski Race this year. I forgot where I read it but reports are mid 80's with twin small blocks.

burtandnancy
09-16-2001, 02:08 PM
I have owned one 20' and three 21' Schiada's.
Loved them all. Used almost exclusively for ski racing. All were turboed, auto-trans'ed.
Extremely good handling(except when backing
to the right) Handle rough water as well as any 24' boat. You'll love the large non-skid
deck. Look for a v-drive or dri-sumped #6 to get the very best performance. Todays engines will easily give you 100+ mph and ex-
cellent durability.

superdave013
09-16-2001, 04:12 PM
burt, What color was your 20'er? I have a '78 that is white with orange & yellow stripes. It's an ex ski racer. Maybe it was yours? Looks like the gelcoat was redone so maybe the colors were changed.

burtandnancy
09-17-2001, 07:36 AM
SUPERDAVE013
My 20' Schiada was basically blue and white. In those days we raced with sponsorship of "Cask 'n Cleaver" I sold this boat to Bruce Penhall who trained with this, then moved on to bigger and better things. The next 21'er was red/white/blue, and then I had an orange/white one after that. I've run a few new one's recently, sure feels good!

DANS66STEVENS
09-22-2001, 07:20 PM
I just bought a 1976 22ft Schiada I got a deal of a life time. It has a brand new LS6 454 20 hours on it. Turbo-400 trans.The boat is in mint shape as far as the outside. The inside is another story. The last owner wanted it to be faster. So he tossed the entire interior in the trash!!!!What a dope. So I have some work to do. The boat runs super. It runs 70 on a gps.How is $ 2250 ??????? LOL I am serious!!!!!

burtandnancy
09-23-2001, 08:24 AM
dans66Stevens
Since you bought your 22 Schiada for such a song, you can afford to go to one of the best re-upholsters and former Schiada owners for a new interior: Custom Canvas (Ron Tesarski) in Montclair. Other than the factory, he's probably done more seats and interiors than anyone.

DANS66STEVENS
09-23-2001, 05:47 PM
Id love to find a really good upholstery shop that knows Schiada boats, However, I'm located in up-state N.Y. I do know of a very good shop but I am looking for ideas. I got some good pics of the style that uses the swim deck. I think it looks like it wastes alot of space. I would love to see some pictures of the other style with the jump seats and rear seats. I know that is how my boat was set up originally.

Hostile
09-23-2001, 06:07 PM
Dans66stevens
Where in upstate? Iam located in Cooperstown

DANS66STEVENS
09-23-2001, 07:00 PM
I am just outside of Binghamton.Im just rt88 We are neighors!

DANS66STEVENS
09-23-2001, 07:07 PM
Hostile, what kind of boat do you have? where do you go boating?

Hostile
09-23-2001, 07:14 PM
Dans66Stevens
Drove by today on the way back from the glen
there is a upholstery shop in Albany that has done some work for me maybe thay could
help.Oh by the way I have a Cole 20SS W/a
BBC V-DRIVE

DANS66STEVENS
09-24-2001, 02:37 PM
We should get together sometime. That would be really cool. I have a 66 Stevens with a Big-Chevy and a V-Drive-I also have a 1976 Schiada 454 turbo 400 V-Drive.I go to Cayuga or Owasco lake. If you like e-mail me or just leave your phone # id love to talk to you.

Hostile
09-24-2001, 06:46 PM
Dans66stevens
E-mail returned?user unknown

DANS66STEVENS
09-25-2001, 12:28 PM
DANZRT@WEBTV.NET try this one!!!!

schiada96
09-28-2001, 07:04 PM
Anybody going to parker next week