PDA

View Full Version : Av Gas 100ll ???

Sanitariumflat
06-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Can anyone tell me why I couldn't use 100LL (low lead) av gas in my boat. I've heard lots of opinions both ways, but so far haven't heard anything based on fact. I know my father use to use it back in the 70's for a 1/4 mile street rod. I think it was a little hotter then, maybe 115? Any knowledge out there on this?
Smash

40FlatDeck
06-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Can anyone tell me why I couldn't use 100LL (low lead) av gas in my boat. I've heard lots of opinions both ways, but so far haven't heard anything based on fact. I know my father use to use it back in the 70's for a 1/4 mile street rod. I think it was a little hotter then, maybe 115? Any knowledge out there on this?
Smash
I have used it for years in all of my motors. Much, much cleaner than pump, reduce the risk of detonation. I run it with some Marvel Mystery oil. My motors are 557's, 1471's with 9 pounds of boost.

don johnson
06-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Ditto, use it in my 1,100 HP 572's at 11 lbs of boost with Marvel. Last year sent the blowers in to be freshened and they said these motors were very happy motors and the Marvel kept the blower strips like new....

tittyman
06-06-2007, 04:28 PM
About how much oil do you add per 10 gallons of av gas...

don johnson
06-06-2007, 04:43 PM
About how much oil do you add per 10 gallons of av gas...
I follow the directions on the bottle but if memory serves its 4oz per 10 gallons

jimsplace
06-06-2007, 06:10 PM
I have been using it for many years with no problems. A lot of misinformation is out there.
avgas is a dry gas. It is dry - it is monitored closely for water. Water freezes in in airplane at altitude.
Avgas is designed for slow running motors. The truth is the burn rate is determined largely by compression and rich or lean situations. Same for street gas or race gas. It is not quite as dense as race gas, but only slightly different. Many race motors do not turn extremely high RPM.
Avgas is illegal to use in anything but an airplane. I have found no one that can provide that information. It is illegal to use it on the street. There is no road tax being paid and it is leaded. Not all airports will sell to someone that is not putting into an airplane. I assume it is a liability issue about taxes. They won't tell you that though.
Race gas can provide more octane than avgas. It is closely monitored and certainly something to consider for maximum performance engines.
The airport should be able to provide the octane and other information about their gas. Avgas is also closely monitored. The fuel in this area tends to be around 107 octane.

dmontzsta
06-06-2007, 06:54 PM
There is nothing wrong with avgas.

Havasu Hangin'
06-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Avgas is illegal to use in anything but an airplane. I have found no one that can provide that information. It is illegal to use it on the street. There is no road tax being paid and it is leaded. Not all airports will sell to someone that is not putting into an airplane. I assume it is a liability issue about taxes. They won't tell you that though.
100LL Av gas is also available at the pumps (with road taxes).
I also use it with some Marvel- it has been a very good combination for my motors, and it's much cheaper than VP105.

Racey
06-06-2007, 10:06 PM
100LL Av gas is also available at the pumps (with road taxes).
I also use it with some Marvel- it has been a very good combination for my motors, and it's much cheaper than VP105.
It may be available at the pump, but it's not legal to run on the street i believe, it contains lead, and is usually marked 'Offroad Use Only' though this isn't always the case about being marked. I don't believe it can be or is road taxed because it is illegal for highway use anyway since it does contain lead.
As far as performance issues, we have been using it for many years in performance motors, 1100hp turbo, to high compression NA. and have never had any problems.
and the best part about av gas compared to race or pump gas is it's shelf life. it remains totally stable for years and years, wont turn to varnish and clog your fuel system, or carbies. I have an old '74 yamaha mx 250, it had been sitting in storage for 10 years with av gas in the tank and no lie it started after sitting for 10 years on the very first kick and purred like a kitten, i road it all weekend at dumont last presidents day.

Sanitariumflat
06-07-2007, 04:05 AM
Thanks for all the info folks! I have a 468 NA bowtie, 2-650's, 11.3:1 comp, moderate cam. So far it is just a lake toy. I've been told that I should be looking for around 6500 rpm wot. Had some ignition issues that were stopping it @ 5000 or so, but I believe that I have corrected them (fingers crossed). It sounds like the 100LL that I have access to may work pretty good and save me a few bucks. What's the deal with the Marvel oil? Is it because the fuel is drier?
Thanx,
Smash

Racey
06-07-2007, 06:48 AM
The marvel oil is just for bonus top end lubrication, i've seen alot of guys run it and they swear by it, it definitely doesnt hurt anything and can only help.

Sanitariumflat
06-07-2007, 09:03 AM
10-4. Thanks.

Havasu Hangin'
06-07-2007, 10:57 AM
It may be available at the pump, but it's not legal to run on the street i believe, it contains lead, and is usually marked 'Offroad Use Only' though this isn't always the case about being marked. I don't believe it can be or is road taxed because it is illegal for highway use anyway since it does contain lead.
Herbst, Parker Oil, and Union 76 all carry it in Havasu at the pump. The last time I checked, there were no restrictions, and I paid tax on it.
I don't believe it's illegal to use leaded gas on the road, it's just illegal to make cars anymore that won't pass smog?

TAF
06-07-2007, 11:47 AM
It was great in my flattie and jet boat, 250R quad and 13:1 compression 1776CC VW sandrail. Never had a problem w/ fuel but about everything else, electrical, jet pump, water pumps, starters.......da da da ..........:D

jimsplace
06-07-2007, 04:34 PM
I had indicated it was illegal to use avgas on the highway in my earlier post.
It was an assumption on my part. I don't admit to being incorrect very often, but maybe this time.
I wish in Texas there were other places to get the avgas than the airports, there may be, but I do not know of any.

Kindsvater Flat
06-07-2007, 05:23 PM
I had indicated it was illegal to use avgas on the highway in my earlier post.
It was an assumption on my part. I don't admit to being incorrect very often, but maybe this time.
I wish in Texas there were other places to get the avgas than the airports, there may be, but I do not know of any.
Just go to your local fuel supplier and buy a 55 gallon drum or better yet take your own 55 and have them fill it. Lot easier than going to the airport. Plus if you have you can pick up a 5 gallon can of Toulene.

dossangers
06-07-2007, 05:34 PM
My local 76 station has been selling 100 unleaded for 5 years. In az they can sell race gas at the pump i go to terribles in bullhead 105 octane. I think for a mild race motor 5k rpm range avgas is ok but high comp. 7500+rpm you better have leaded race gas !!

DAVEY B
06-07-2007, 05:44 PM
My local 76 station has been selling 100 unleaded for 5 years. In az they can sell race gas at the pump i go to terribles in bullhead 105 octane. I think for a mild race motor 5k rpm range avgas is ok but high comp. 7500+rpm you better have leaded race gas !!
100LL has more lead in it then the old regular leaded fuel it just has less lead then the 100-130 green av gas use to.
I have always run 100LL in all my engines the SS boat and my Hallett we just dyno on avgas. It's a blown 540 with 9 psi boost made 1000hp. I even run it in my lawn mower, sand rail, crf450 and trail 70 the good thing is it never goes bad.
That's just me!:jawdrop:

dossangers
06-07-2007, 06:15 PM
It helps to work at the airport Dave can u say unlimited access to fuel?? LOL!!!!!:D :D

Racey
06-07-2007, 09:42 PM
100LL has more lead in it then the old regular leaded fuel it just has less lead then the 100-130 green av gas use to.
I have always run 100LL in all my engines the SS boat and my Hallett we just dyno on avgas. It's a blown 540 with 9 psi boost made 1000hp. I even run it in my lawn mower, sand rail, crf450 and trail 70 the good thing is it never goes bad.
I tried running it in my crf 450 and it made the thing so F***n stuborn to start, i eventually ended up finding a good mix was 4 gallons of 91 and 1 of av. do you have any problems getting yours started on AV alone???

rocket98
06-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Just go to your local fuel supplier and buy a 55 gallon drum or better yet take your own 55 and have them fill it. Lot easier than going to the airport. Plus if you have you can pick up a 5 gallon can of Toulene.
Don't forget the Toulene. We ran Ava gas for years with no problems with the mix

Rattle Can Lou
06-08-2007, 07:35 AM
What's the tolulene mix ratio?

LandSpeedRacer
06-08-2007, 08:29 AM
I used to run the av gas mixed with "Super Chevron" and 104 Octane Boost a LONG time ago when I ran a front engine dragster at Fremont. The only complaint I had was when I got the thing dialed in with the mixture and my av gas source was not available, I struggled to get it to run with anything else. I guess you could say she got spoiled . . . . . . and you know how that goes.
My deal now I run pump gas - f___ it, it's available and it runs fairly good on it with the low compression pistons:eek: .
Switching to Methanol next year.
See you at CFW dude :D
LSR

rocket98
06-08-2007, 08:46 AM
What's the tolulene mix ratio?
I am trying to remember, it was a long time ago. I may need help on this. 1 quart to 5 gallons of gas

InKahntrol
06-08-2007, 08:51 AM
My dad and I have been running straight Av Gas in our boats for years, it works very well. Another side-bonus of using Av Gas in boats is that it does not go bad over time.
If you leave pump premium in your boat tanks over a long winter, it "goes bad" and changes. Often causing detonation the next time you use the boat. Av Gas doesn't do that.
Dan

SCR INC
06-08-2007, 03:19 PM
what do you pay in AZ @ the local airport.. its cheaper than super if we buy it on the air strip !!

hbpdub
06-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Whats the highest compression you can run on AV Gas? and will you need to re jet to run AV Gas??

jimsplace
06-09-2007, 02:33 PM
I ran 12.2 in a 540 bbc, but I feel sure I could have gone higher without problems.
Mine ran best with stock jetting from holley. (2) 1050's. I tried both up and down and the stock is what I kept coming back to.
I am at about 550 feet altitude.