06-07-2007, 07:37 AM
here's a website with listings of where they are-
http://www.speedtrap.org/

CarBizIndio
06-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Great web site, thanks for the info.

HM
06-07-2007, 03:15 PM
They have the two speed traps around Canyon Lake listed on there.
The Canyon Lake speed traps are special enforcement and are overtime detail for Sheriff from Perris to Canyon Lake to Elsinore. They not only have a quota on this detail, the quota is broken down in ranges, and they change the lights to timed tripping to create gaps that entice people to get out in front of the pack and to stop them just past the speed trap so the motorcycle cops just cruise on down to the light where you are waiting.
I got a ticket as they are ticketing everyone that is over 57 mph (50 mph zone). I was going down the road at 60 MPH, saw the cop and thought there was no way they were going to ticket me for 60 because school buses do 70 mph on that road. He enformed me about the special enforcement over 57 and I knew I could beat it. I fought the ticket and beat it in court because the speed survey on that road shows the average speed to be 65 and change. Was an easy win, especially since the cop had to admit that even though it was rush hour...I was the only car on that stretch of road. I had also video'd how they have it setup as a speed trap by purposely changing the tripping of the light at the top of the hill to create waves of traffic instead of the more steady traffic that is seen when they are not ticketing.

CarBizIndio
06-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Sounds like you have a good judge in that area, the courts out here in indio are more corrupt then the police.

Caribbean Jet
06-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Speed traps? When we went to Arizona they had speeding cameras on the freeway. This was in Scottsdale. Anything over 75 mph and they bust you with a ticket and send pictures of you doing it.

FastTimmy
06-07-2007, 04:50 PM
There is or was some motors that would sit behind the green construction fence on your way down to the 15 on the right side... They actually would radar through the fence... Those Sheriffs are just straight crappy.....
Haven't got me.....:D

FastTimmy
06-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Sorry I guess your not mind readers...
My comment is when you are driving down Railroad Canyon Drive from Canyon Lake to the 15 Freeway...

Boatcop
06-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Speed traps are traffic zones purposely set with artificially low speed limits for revenue generation only.
Speed limits set by traffic studies, state law, and accident data and properly enforced are NOT speed traps.
I looked at the ones on that site in my area. None of them are "speed traps".
I especially like the one about the "25 MPH for 300 yards" coming into Parker from HWY 62 comment. The speed limit there is 25 MPH coming across the bridge and extends to the Inspection Station. It's 25 MPH because the bridge is narrow, and not up to current ADOT/CALTRANS standards. (It's scheduled to be replaced in the next year or 2). And it continues to the inspection station because it's located at the top of a hill with poor line of sight, and there are often trucks stopped or slowing down to enter the station.
I don't know where people get the idea that they have some kind of "right" to speed, and then blame the cops when they get caught. Do I always adhere to the speed limit? Most of the time, yes. But not always. Have I gotten tickets? Yes I have. The last one was on US 95 south of Reno in 2005. (65 in a 55) I didn't flash my badge. I didn't blame the NV Trooper. I knew I was wrong. I paid the ticket. (First one in 20 years. Last one before that was in Hawaii in 1984)
Speed if you want. But be prepared to pay. Hopefully it won't be with your life.

HM
06-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Speed traps are traffic zones purposely set with artificially low speed limits for revenue generation only.
Speed limits set by traffic studies, state law, and accident data and properly enforced are NOT speed traps.
I looked at the ones on that site in my area. None of them are "speed traps".
I especially like the one about the "25 MPH for 300 yards" coming into Parker from HWY 62 comment. The speed limit there is 25 MPH coming across the bridge and extends to the Inspection Station. It's 25 MPH because the bridge is narrow, and not up to current ADOT/CALTRANS standards. (It's scheduled to be replaced in the next year or 2). And it continues to the inspection station because it's located at the top of a hill with poor line of sight, and there are often trucks stopped or slowing down to enter the station.
I don't know where people get the idea that they have some kind of "right" to speed, and then blame the cops when they get caught. Do I always adhere to the speed limit? Most of the time, yes. But not always. Have I gotten tickets? Yes I have. The last one was on US 95 south of Reno in 2005. (65 in a 55) I didn't flash my badge. I didn't blame the NV Trooper. I knew I was wrong. I paid the ticket. (First one in 20 years. Last one before that was in Hawaii in 1984)
Speed if you want. But be prepared to pay. Hopefully it won't be with your life.
What do you know anyway? :D
I tend to say speed trap as a more general term...a place where the cops repeatedly get people for speeding.
The "speed trap" we have leaving Canyon Lake down toward Elsinore on Railroad Canyon could be considered to be a speed trap very easily. First off, it is an over-time detail that has very specific quotas - and quotas for speed ranges. The speed survey (that I used in court) is very detailed. They change the timing of the light at the top of the hill so that the traffic comes down the hill in waves instead of a constant flow creating large gaps that let drivers allow their speed to get away from them. The speed limit, while not artificially low, is low by standards of many surrounding roads. Where they are ticketing is a long straight with 3 lanes on both sides with a curbed median. We have two way roads that have higher limits and 4 lane roads with no curbed median (2 lanes in both directions) that have limits 15 mph higher than this road. They radar the fastest and safest part of the road, when they should be using radar further down where most of the problems occur.
I am not a cop hater by any means. But, when it comes to traffic laws I have a different attitude(towards the laws, not the cops). I see who the real dangers on the road are, and the problem is you can't give tickets for being stupid (as RD would say). Most of the speed limits are fairly arbitrary because all you have to do is look around the different states and see the HUGE variance in laws. You can't pull a trailer over 55 in CA, but suddenly when you cross the border to AZ it becomes safe to pull a trailer at 75. Many of the speed limits where lowered during the gas crunch of the 70's and it had nothing to do with safety. Even the variance in speed limits right around my home is living proof of arbitrary limits.
Lake Elsinore has few details that are revenue driven. The water patrol on Elsinore is also a revenue driven detail. It is an over time detail, and they have very specific quotas on the type and quantity of tickets written. If the officer does not meet the quotas on a regular basis, he/whe will not be assigned to that over tiem detail. I know this stuff as a really good friend of mine is a new Sheriff based in Elsinore. He wanted to get on the water patrol detail, especially since it was overtime, but when he found out he literally had to harass boaters, he is not signing up for it.

HM
06-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Its a suggested highest speed. Not a limit. If it was a speed LIMIT your vehicle wouldnt go any faster. At least thats my point of view.
LOL...I always get a chuckle out of the signs that say "speed enforced by Radar" or "By Aircraft" as if they point the radar gun at you and it forces your car to slow down outside of you control or I imagine them bring their plane down low and getting in your way so you are forced to slow down.

Boatcop
06-08-2007, 02:41 PM
LOL...I always get a chuckle out of the signs that say "speed enforced by Radar" or "By Aircraft" as if they point the radar gun at you and it forces your car to slow down outside of you control or I imagine them bring their plane down low and getting in your way so you are forced to slow down.
I get an even bigger chuckle out of the signs I saw back east. "RADAR CONTROLLED"
http://www.millenniumhwy.net/interestingsigns/ky/controlled1.jpg
Enforced is one thing. It says that speed laws are enforced by using radar.
But "Radar Controlled" implies that radar is used to adjust the speed of the vehicle. :rolleyes:

HM
06-08-2007, 02:53 PM
I get an even bigger chuckle out of the signs I saw back east. "RADAR CONTROLLED"
http://www.millenniumhwy.net/interestingsigns/ky/controlled1.jpg
Enforced is one thing. It says that speed laws are enforced by using radar.
But "Radar Controlled" implies that radar is used to adjust the speed of the vehicle. :rolleyes:
Enforced has nearly the same definition as controlled. Consequences of breaking the law can be enforced, but the law can never be considered to be enforced when people are breaking it -although webster shows "enforce the law" as example of usage, webster does not reflect whether or not it is proper usage - just that a lot of people use it that way...right or wrong. I am just old school and like to use words for their original meaning and not the accepted mis-use of the word...like Ironic/Irony. The constant misuse has belittled those words to mean nothing more than a bad coincidence, when the orginal meaning was very very specific.

Boatcop
06-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Focking Holy.
Gettin' all Funk and Wagnall and $hit.
:D