PDA

View Full Version : Strange symptoms

jm boater
06-07-2007, 08:31 AM
I posted this in the gear section but thought I might get more responses here too.
Went out on the lake Sunday and ran all around with no probs.
Heading back to ramp racing a buddy. Hit some ruff wake and slowed it down a little. Got back on it and noticed that my tach was bouncing down from 4000 to 3500 and back and forth. Boat didnt seem to slow down. I kept my eye on it and then the engine seem to load up sorta.Not missing, just when giving gas, it fell on its face. I shut it down and did some checks. Didnt find anything loose. Started it back up and no probs. Took the family to the ramp and grabbed a buddy. Went out and did a hot pass and everything is fine.
So I am guessing that its going to end up happening again at some point.
Any help in what to check for right now that its on the trailer?
Im running a 454 with logs,holley double pumper,performer intake,Mallory dual point dizzy but with Pertronix internals and stock coil with ballast. New cap and rotor. New guages.
Ive been out 5 times with new intake.pertronix, and gauges with no probs. First time with it legged for that long though. Any help would be greatly appreciated

IMPATIENT 1
06-07-2007, 08:51 AM
if its got a holley carb, you may have bounced it hard enough for fuel to spill outta the vent tubes and then into the carb, which will make the motor reallly rich and bog it down for a few seconds.

AZKC
06-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Could be some junk floating around in the float bowls got knocked loose. And plugged something up and it got knocked loose or sucked through.

jm boater
06-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah I dunno, Im kinda stumped. It was wierd that the tach was twitching and
it seemed to be running fine for maybe a quarter mile then it started to act up.
I dunno, guess ill just have to wait to see if it happens again or not.

SB
06-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Well if the engine seemed steady, your tach wire might have got knocked loose.
You might have got a drop of water in the gas, or stirred up some other crap from the bottom of the tank.
Could be some other electrical component got loose, with the tach surging, I'd look at the dist. first.

kp216
06-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Im running a 454 with logs,holley double pumper,performer intake,Mallory dual point dizzy but with Pertronix internals and stock coil with ballast.
Were you supposed to run a ballast resistor when you converted your distributor over to the Pertronix?