PDA

View Full Version : Skunked>>>>>>>>>>>help

topless
06-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Last night around 10pm my dogs were barking, barking, and barking. They wouldn't shut up as usual when I told them. I had the back patio sliding door open for fresh air . All of the sudden the dogs were quiet so I thought my firm assertive voice did the trick. I was thinking "yeah, I told them" when 2 seconds later my nose started burning, my eyes were watering and all I could small was SKUNK!!!! OMG that is the worst smell up close that you ever want to experience. I closed the slider and buried my head in a pillow. This morning I got up to a milder skunk smell but one of my dogs escaped and I captured him, put him back in the yard and went to work thinking the gardeners who were there let him out. On my way to work, a neighbor called my cell phone and said she had my dog and would bring him home so I called my daughter because I was 20 minutes from the house already. The lady (who I don't know) must have smelled the stench and let the dog run because 2 minutes later I got another call from another neighbor who had the dog. At least this time he tied the dog up until my daughter ran down the street and got him. Whan I got home from work tonight, I went out in the back yard to see where the dog got out and fix it. I knew I still smelled the odor but thought not too much until I decided to pet the dog!!!!!! (big mistake) nobody wants to be around me. My question is, what is the best way to unscent my dogs from this horrendous smell?

Havasu Hangin'
06-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Tomato juice.

wsuwrhr
06-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Mopar got jacked a year ago or so. I put a post up here and got a few remedies. The tomato juice deal worked the best, but nothing really helped but "time"
Took almost a month for the smell to go away
Brian

Blown 472
06-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Last night around 10pm my dogs were barking, barking, and barking. They wouldn't shut up as usual when I told them. I had the back patio sliding door open for fresh air . All of the sudden the dogs were quiet so I thought my firm assertive voice did the trick. I was thinking "yeah, I told them" when 2 seconds later my nose started burning, my eyes were watering and all I could small was SKUNK!!!! OMG that is the worst smell up close that you ever want to experience. I closed the slider and buried my head in a pillow. This morning I got up to a milder skunk smell but one of my dogs escaped and I captured him, put him back in the yard and went to work thinking the gardeners who were there let him out. On my way to work, a neighbor called my cell phone and said she had my dog and would bring him home so I called my daughter because I was 20 minutes from the house already. The lady (who I don't know) must have smelled the stench and let the dog run because 2 minutes later I got another call from another neighbor who had the dog. At least this time he tied the dog up until my daughter ran down the street and got him. Whan I got home from work tonight, I went out in the back yard to see where the dog got out and fix it. I knew I still smelled the odor but thought not too much until I decided to pet the dog!!!!!! (big mistake) nobody wants to be around me. My question is, what is the best way to unscent my dogs from this horrendous smell?
tomato juice bath from what I have heard.

76ANTHONY
06-07-2007, 06:00 PM
tomato juice is the remedy sweety. and yes it has been proven and proven and so on, been there done that. fill the tube and submerge them, i know its gonna be messy but 15 minutes in the tube and you'll love em again...
and keep some on the side and make bloody mary's:D

squirt'nmyload
06-07-2007, 06:02 PM
try this....tomato juice just covers up the smell,,,doesn't anyone watch mythbusters? :D :D :D
Step One
Mix 4 c. hydrogen peroxide with 4 tbsp. baking soda and 1 tsp. dish-washing soap.
Step Two
Put cotton balls in your pet's ears to protect the inner-ear tissue from the cleaning mixture, which could easily drip in.
Step Three
Don rubber gloves to protect your hands during this process.
Step Four
Start with your pet's head, taking care not to get the solution into his eyes, ears or mouth. Apply a drop of olive or baby oil to his eyes to prevent irritation.
Step Five
Rub the mixture evenly into your pet's coat. It will probably be more pleasant to do this outdoors.
Step Six
Rinse the coat with clean water.
Step Seven
Repeat if the smell persists.

topless
06-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Mopar got jacked a year ago or so. I put a post up here and got a few remedies. The tomato juice deal worked the best, but nothing really helped but "time"
Took almost a month for the smell to go away
BrianI heard time was the best thing too but it still sux now!!! Has anyone tried peroxide and water? Someone told me that one today.

squirt'nmyload
06-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Will he still have the pleasant tomato-y smell?
if he still has that not so fresh feeling then try some summers eve :D :D

wsuwrhr
06-07-2007, 06:06 PM
if he still has that not so fresh feeling then try some summers eve :D :D
didnt work at all

topless
06-07-2007, 06:07 PM
try this....tomato juice just covers up the smell,,,doesn't anyone watch mythbusters? :D :D :D
Step One
Mix 4 c. hydrogen peroxide with 4 tbsp. baking soda and 1 tsp. dish-washing soap.
Step Two
Put cotton balls in your pet's ears to protect the inner-ear tissue from the cleaning mixture, which could easily drip in.
Step Three
Don rubber gloves to protect your hands during this process.
Step Four
Start with your pet's head, taking care not to get the solution into his eyes, ears or mouth. Apply a drop of olive or baby oil to his eyes to prevent irritation.
Step Five
Rub the mixture evenly into your pet's coat. It will probably be more pleasant to do this outdoors.
Step Six
Rinse the coat with clean water.
Step Seven
Repeat if the smell persists.
I think I'll try this one because everyone I've talked to that has done the tomato juice deal says it just takes time and the juice doesn't work......although, I'll go get some form myself for during the process. If you have never been through this, I honestly hope you never do.

wsuwrhr
06-07-2007, 06:08 PM
I heard time was the best thing too but it still sux now!!! Has anyone tried peroxide and water? Someone told me that one today.
I heard that as well.
Unfortunately Mopar got it in her face, so that wasn't an option.
Brian

Bense468
2 weeks ago, my 2 boxers got out. I found them running down the street, and one of them had a dead skunk in his mouth. He killed it. They both have been sprayed multiple times. Tomato juice doesn't work. Read online. Most places says it a myth.
The guy above me has the trick...I used both hydrogen peroxide and vinager with baking soda and dawn. This dries their skin out though. Do it multiple times, then wash with doggy shampoo. One of the times before I used womens douche...It worked, I just had to have the chicky go buy some. You will still smell it, but it won't be near as bad and eventually will go away.

squirt'nmyload
didnt work at all
i know this.....just making a joke :)

topless
06-07-2007, 06:09 PM
BRB, going to the store to get skunksmellelimintor supplies. I'll keep you all informed.................Oh,and since they were in the garage, how do I get the smell out of there?

Bense468
06-07-2007, 06:11 PM
BRB, going to the store to get skunksmellelimintor supplies. I'll keep you all informed.................Oh,and since they were in the garage, how do I get the smell out of there?
Light it on fire

squirt'nmyload
06-07-2007, 06:11 PM
I think I'll try this one because everyone I've talked to that has done the tomato juice deal says it just takes time and the juice doesn't work......although, I'll go get some form myself for during the process. If you have never been through this, I honestly hope you never do.
good luck :) growing up in pennsylvania, my mutts have had there fair share of encounters with skunks :mad: :D :D

RitcheyRch
06-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Think Petsmart and Petco both carry a skunk off spray.

topless
06-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Now it's getting complicated. At this point, I'd put my house up for sale and buy two new dogs. ;)
Skunk wasn't in the garage but the dogs were earlier. It's not too bad there but I certainly won't be cuddling up with them soon.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Skunk wasn't in the garage but the dogs were earlier. It's not too bad there but I certainly won't be cuddling up with them soon.
sniff sniff.. Damn!! Topless,, you smell something? LOL!!:D

squirt'nmyload
06-07-2007, 06:27 PM
:D :D
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/Pepe.jpg

topless
06-07-2007, 06:27 PM
sniff sniff.. Damn!! Topless,, you smell something? LOL!!:D
I think I need to call a plumber and have him root around the garage. Do you know someone?:idea:

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-07-2007, 06:30 PM
I think I need to call a plumber and have him root around the garage. Do you know someone?:idea:
not a reliable one. :D :D
I feel so bad for you having to wash that smell off the poor doggy. I bet he is going nuts with that smell on him.

squirt'nmyload
06-07-2007, 06:31 PM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/buttcrack.jpg

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-07-2007, 06:35 PM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/buttcrack.jpg
is this the same plumber?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2511dd36.jpg
:D :D :D

squirt'nmyload
06-07-2007, 06:37 PM
is this the same plumber?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2511dd36.jpg
:D :D :D
LMAO....it would appear so :D :D :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-07-2007, 06:38 PM
LMAO....it would appear so :D :D :D
LOL!! :D

squirt'nmyload
06-07-2007, 06:43 PM
LOL!! :D
although, this one is a little better on the eyes :D :D :D
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/unexpected_plumbers_crack-794247.jpg

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-07-2007, 06:44 PM
although, this one is a little better on the eyes :D :D :D
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/unexpected_plumbers_crack-794247.jpg
:jawdrop: Looks like someone found my pic.. :jawdrop: :D :D

squirt'nmyload
06-07-2007, 06:47 PM
:jawdrop: Looks like someone found my pic.. :jawdrop: :D :D
:jawdrop: very niiiiice :D :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-07-2007, 06:52 PM
:jawdrop: very niiiiice :D :D
LMAO!! :D :D

Baja Big Dog
06-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Garlic and olive oil, with tomato paste....mix it up rub it in and cook at 375 for 20 minutes....opps..forget the cooking part.

lucky
06-07-2007, 08:09 PM
In your particular case - I have a solution :) I say let the little bastards out the front door , let the pound pick them up ( as ususal) smile pretty and dress suductivly ( for both genders , cause ya never know ) hopefully when the dogs get picked up they will wash and fluff them for you - if that doesnt work - drop em off at the drycleaners and pick them up the next day :)

beerjet
06-07-2007, 08:22 PM
This was a few years back when me and a freind were driving down second st. I think, and we had to turn around due to it being the wrong street . Come up over this hill and there were about a hundred of them suckers in every size .Luckily my buddy has no heart or soul so we just plowed on through . Felt like a bumpy gravel road for bit is all. Best of all , no smell. :D

YeLLowBoaT
06-07-2007, 08:40 PM
The skunk smell remover stuff at the pet store actaully works pretty good. Tomato juice does nothing. the vinger and h2O2 works too

Havasu1986
06-07-2007, 08:48 PM
My wife was over at the neighbors house one hot summers nite and they had all there windows open. So they were sitting out by the pool when our dog Marina started messing with a skunk. They have never invited her over again. She was giving Marina a tomato bath until 2am. Didn't work so well. :D

Quest4Fun
06-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I don't know if this has been posted yet and it may sound weird but, bathe the dog in Scope Mouthwash. The plain, old fashioned kind, nothing fancy. Depending on the size of the dog, you may need more than one bottle.

Quest4Fun
06-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Do you put the dog into the bottle? :D
Sure if he'll fit :D If so I want to see the pics :D :D

Riverkid
06-07-2007, 09:29 PM
My sis bought a new house in San Diego. She walked into a closed screen door and broke her nose... Get's it fixed and the night she gets home the golden wants in. JUST got sprayed. She smells nada and lets him run around. I get down there the next morning, she opens the door and WTF?!
Lotsa Tomato Juice.

Roaddogg 4040
06-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Everyone forgot to tell you that the Tomato juice is for the Vodka... You have to drink about a gallon of it... After a while you won't even notice the dogs...:D
Steve

91nordic29
06-08-2007, 11:01 AM
when we were kids, we were camping at lake isabella. all us kids were in a big tent and our moms were outside sleeping on cots (our dads were back at home during the week).
one night they dogs were barking and my aunt woke up (slightly) and smacked what she thought was the dog with her flip flop. game over. the next day they were rubbing their hair, sleeping bags, everything down with peanut butter and washing it out with tomato juice. i don't recall if it worked or not but i know we had half the campground to ourselves after that, lol.

Old Texan
06-08-2007, 12:22 PM
My faithful fool attacked a skunk about 3 months ago and after getting the spray down, obediently ran into the garage and "kenneled up" thinking he would do good after his big mistake.
Next morning after he spent the night tied in the open back yard, I threw him in the back of the truck and had the Vet do the washdown. They've got some good stuff. Kept him over and did it again the next day. Worked good and $125 was well worth the effort not to have to wrestle a 60 lb dog in a washtub.
Garage and kennel bedding was another story. Bedding in the trash but garage still has a taint to it.

ChumpChange
06-08-2007, 02:45 PM
........ I knew I still smelled ........nobody wants to be around me.......from this horrendous smell?
Do some editing with ...... and wha-la! some more signature material!!:D