PDA

View Full Version : I think I did the right thing???

marty722
06-07-2007, 06:07 PM
I have my boat up for sale:
http://www.martyandchristy.com/boat%20ad.htm
I get a call from a guy in Plam springs who wants to come out and buy it.... So he shows up and he checks it out and everything is cool.... We agreed on a price and before we start the paperwork he asks... How do you start it??? My mouth dropped. Then he goes on about this is his first boat and he and his family which is his wife and little daughter about 6 are going to havasu next weekend for the first time..... Then he asks how do you get it off of the trailer? Again my mouth is on the ground right now... So I go talk to my wife and tell her the story and we both agreed that this family will be in big danger this coming weekend in havasu if I sell them this boat.... Again if you look at the boat you will understand... So I do some quick thinking. Should I sell it and don't give a shit about the family or others around them this weekend? Or should I stop the sale and maybe save his and other familys from gettting hurt??? As bad as I wanted to sell this boat I backed out..... I explained to him that he will put him and others in danger if I sale him this boat and I was firm about it.... He was not to happy at first but then he thought about it and agreed.... So did I do the right thing? I would hate to see my old boat in the paper next week showing that it either killed someone or even killed his daughter.... So now I missed out on selling it but I feel better knowning that maybe I saved his daughter from getting hurt..... Now my boat is still up for sale????? I did my good deed for the day... maybe even saved a life.....

Boatcop
06-07-2007, 06:10 PM
I would have suggested to him that he (and his wife) go through a Boating Safety Course, and then come back.

76ANTHONY
06-07-2007, 06:13 PM
I get a call from a guy in Plam springs who wants to come out and buy it.... So he shows up and he checks it out and everything is cool.... We agreed on a price and before we start the paperwork he asks... How do you start it??? My mouth dropped. Then he goes on about this is his first boat and he and his family which is his wife and little daughter about 6 are going to havasu next weekend for the first time..... Then he asks how do you get it off of the trailer? Again my mouth is on the ground right now... So I go talk to my wife and tell her the story and we both agreed that this family will be in big danger this coming weekend in havasu if I sell them this boat.... Again if you look at the boat you will understand... So I do some quick thinking. Should I sell it and don't give a shit about the family or others around them this weekend? Or should I stop the sale and maybe save his and other familys from gettting hurt??? As bad as I wanted to sell this boat I backed out..... I explained to him that he will put him and others in danger if I sale him this boat and I was firm about it.... He was not to happy at first but then he thought about it and agreed.... So did I do the right thing? I would hate to see my old boat in the paper next week showing that it either killed someone or even killed his daughter.... So now I missed out on selling it but I feel better knowning that maybe I saved his daughter from getting hurt..... Now my boat is still up for sale????? I did my good deed for the day... maybe even saved a life.....
shoulda told him to call me, i'd a taken him to havi in your boat and showed whats up. let me know. im 15 minutes from palm springs

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-07-2007, 06:14 PM
I think you did the right thing.. If he didn't know how to start it or get it off the trailer then how is he going to drive it.. I'm suprised he didn't ask where the breaks were.
you IMO did the right thing.:)

uvindex
06-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Sorry, but it's just not your responsibility. If the buyer is of legal age and not mentally incompetent, then you should have sold away! :)
Now it's perfectly fine to recommend that he take a safe boating course before taking the boat out, or that he ask an experienced friend to go with him the first few times, or to buy some boating books (or all of the above) but in my opinion you should have let him take it.
Good luck with the sale. :)

76ANTHONY
06-07-2007, 06:15 PM
ok i just looked at the pics again, ummm the key is in the ignition and hes asking you how to start it? hmmmm :D :D

pw_Tony
06-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Yah I would have suggested a boating course also. Jet boats I always thought were the safest and one of the best starter boats. They're not that fast, handle turns great, and no prop... but maybe you should give him a call back. If it was a twin outboard Picklefork that would make more sense to me... just my $.02

wsuwrhr
06-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I would have suggested to him that he (and his wife) go through a Boating Safety Course, and then come back.
I second that.
Everyone has to start somewhere.
Take the guy out to Smellsomemore, Perris or Puddlestone.
I learned the hard way because no-one in my family ever boated.
I think you overreacted...but that is me. It isn't like you are selling them a hydro with blower motor.

voodoomedman
06-07-2007, 06:19 PM
You did but you didn't. Everybody has to start somewhere. I would have given the option of a day on the lake teaching him the ropes would be the only way I would sell it to him.

Jordy
06-07-2007, 06:19 PM
C'mon now, it's just a jet boat, and it's not being sold on Ebay so it can't be that fast. :D :D :D

RitcheyRch
06-07-2007, 06:22 PM
A very tough decision to be in. Would have sold it to him but told him you would really like for him to take a boating course or something before he uses it or you could have taken him out to Elsinore for an hour or so to show him everything.

acatitude
06-07-2007, 06:26 PM
yup back in 45 bc I bought my first boat a glencoe jet awesome purple metalflake... I was to embarrased to ask how to drive it.... went to moabi the next weekend and learned... But if you feel better then you did the right thing for you... If it was cash I woulda took it:D

voodoomedman
06-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Of course you could have sold him a boat he didn't know how to drive "as is" and then he could have broke it not knowing what he was doing. He could then turn around and sue you for not warrantying it and then post all about it with his wannabee friend on ***boat. :D

RitcheyRch
06-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Worth a try since others have done it and bragged about it.
Of course you could have sold him a boat he didn't know how to drive "as is" and then he could have broke it not knowing what he was doing. He could then turn around and sue you for not warrantying it and then post all about it with his wannabee friend on ***boat. :D

Jordy
06-07-2007, 06:35 PM
No way!!! That kind of stuff never happens. Just ask Greggie the little bitch boy. :D :D :D

HocusPocus
06-07-2007, 06:38 PM
sell it to him and suggest he use site 6. :D
i would have sold it to him and taken him out to show him how to use it.. sooner or later he is going to buy a boat, it might as well be yours.

bigq
06-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Maybe you should have just told him how to start it and get it off the trailer:idea: Most people are going to be careful especially with a wife and kid. That might have been more then the next guy he goes to and buys a boat from would have done. :rolleyes:
but hey at least you will sleep better. You'll be broke, but not tired:D .

atomickitn
06-07-2007, 06:59 PM
hopefuly you explained it to him that it was in his best interest and safety , however , every boat i ever sold,wheather it was new or used i always told the people buying it that i would suggest that we go to the lake for the first short trip out just soo they could see how the boat works and that every thing was infact perfect, and to give them some sort of ( boating ehticks ) (sp) ,so that they would not hurt themselves or anybody else .....however now this being hindsight, you could give them a call and ask them if they still wanted the boat that you being such a responsable boater and all around nice,helpful ,carring person that you would be soo inclinde to go out with them for a few hours to help them to get to know their new boat..... just my .02.....you never know they might just take you up on it, and you could still make the sale..good luck:)

RaceFace
06-07-2007, 07:06 PM
You could have sold it to him and given him directions to Site 6...gone down there and filmed the whole mess from him launching to trailering it!! LOL!
Just kidding, I think he would have been fine with the jet as long as he didnt try to go through the channel. As everyone knows, jets are "butt bucket bingo" at low speeds and to hear about the guy getting his ass kicked for ramming a $100+ would suck. He needs to learn on Elsinore, mid week, not Havi on a weekend.
When I bought my first house in Havi 4 years ago, I met my neighbor that had also bought his first Havi house at the same time. He towed up a brand new 28' Eliminator deck boat the weekend we were both moving in and asked directions to a ramp. I gave him directions to Windsor.....THEN he tells me this is his first boat and he doesnt know how to back up a trailer (he had a GMC 2500HD Diesel with a 6" lift). As I start talking to him, I find out that he had never driven a boat before....never launched or trailered. I ended up going with him and his boat over to the high school and I spent an hour or so with him teaching him to back up a trailer...AND taught him "ramp etiquitte".
His buddy ended up showing up later that day and we started talking. I was trying to feel him out on his boating experience and he started laughing. Turns out, he came out to teach is friend how to drive the boat. I felt much better about the whole situation. I wanted to help him and hopefully the life I was saving was his OR mine and my family! ;) ;)

HavaSkank
06-07-2007, 07:13 PM
I once overheard a couple retards on the launch ramp say "where did he say that blower thingie was again?" Then retard #2 says, "we only need that if we need to pump out the water, we're good"

Mountainstone
06-07-2007, 07:21 PM
I am too new here to have an opinion, but since you asked I'll toss my two cents into the mix.
Since I enjoy reading (and agreeing) with everyone here about the idiots seen on our various waterways on any given trip I am surprised to hear folks say that you do not need to feel responsible for enabling yet another accident waiting to happen. Perhaps you do not need to feel responsible, but I commend you for having the courage of your convictions. If it had been me, I would prob'ly have reflected upon this moral dilemma and found the middle ground suggested above, of agreeing to sell the boat to this man on the condition that he accompany you for a sea trial, where you could take him through the operational characteristics of the boat. Maybe frap him against the gunnels a few times to impress upon him the capabilities of the boat, along with carefully explaining the virtues and vices of a vessel with a low freeboard on an active lake. Then strongly suggest he take the boater safety course with his wife before cashing his check. You are certainly not his babysitter, but I for one do appreciate having one less guy and/or 6-year-old girl to avoid or worse yet, try to save.

Bradman
06-07-2007, 07:37 PM
What I think you did was cool, but I would have handled it differently. I would have sold him the boat and spent a day with him at one of our local lakes. Remember, anybody with lots of cash or decent credit can go to a custom boat builder and buy what ever they want with no experience at all. Go to site 6 and you'll see what I mean.:D

marty722
06-07-2007, 07:42 PM
heres the kicker hes heading to havi tomorrow. I offered to take him out to show him everything but they were leaving in the am... So I feel good about it.... I know its not a million dollar boat like some of yours and maybe you would have thanked me if he was to run into you or your family but I guess we will never know at least with my boat anyways.... He was heading over to look at another boat so I hope you don't have a run in with him this weekend...

GUGS102
06-07-2007, 07:48 PM
I agree that you had a moral dilema, however the boating course is a good idea and I may use that in the future.
I sold a boat to a newbie, took them to the lake to demonstrate how to etc. (prior to him paying me) I asked the guy (who I knew had never driven a boat) to HOLD the boat on the ramp while I get the truck. I run to get the truck and this yahoo is doing doughnuts in the no wake area and attempting to come in on the trailer. I rushed into the water and grabbed the keys as soon as he shut it down.
The whole time I'm picturing him taking out my boat, trailer, truck and he did not own it yet. I suggested many easy helpful tips, in one ear and out the other. This boat had over transom pipes with water injection. I told him 15 times not to adjust the water valve and that it was set correctly.
Two weeks later he called and was pissed because after he adjusted the valve so that water was coming out like a garden hose at idle, he milkshaked the motor.
Long story short, some people just don't listen. I respect your thoughtful ness and looking out for other boaters. The scarier part is that he will get another boat with no more education than he showed up in your driveway with.
I would have recommended payment first, then a trip to the lake for a shake down run..after all you never know when you need to break out another thousand...:)
Gugs

Bradman
06-07-2007, 07:53 PM
heres the kicker hes heading to havi tomorrow. I offered to take him out to show him everything but they were leaving in the am... So I feel good about it.... I know its not a million dollar boat like some of yours and maybe you would have thanked me if he was to run into you or your family but I guess we will never know at least with my boat anyways.... He was heading over to look at another boat so I hope you don't have a run in with him this weekend...
I will be the first to thank you for trying to protect all of us and them, but how many first time drivers are there on the roads everyday driving that brand new cars? I just sold two of my motorcycles, one to a women and one to guy, neither had riding experenice. If they don't take the time to take the riding saftey courses like I did and get hurt or even worse, is that my problem? Aleast when they picked up the bikes, they took them away with a trailer. Remember JMHO.

marty722
06-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Hey Marty722. In your first post you said they were heading to Havasu next weekend. Am I reading this wrong? If they in fact were buying your boat and heading to the river the next day with no experenice at all, then I would re-think my position.
Sorry if you misunderstood but they are leaving tomorrow morning.... Thats why I really pulled the plug... Again I offered to take him out over the weekend but no go...

Bradman
06-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Sorry if you misunderstood but they are leaving tomorrow morning.... Thats why I really pulled the plug... Again I offered to take him out over the weekend but no go...
I did in fact misunderstand your first post. My bad..

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I still think you did the right thing. I don't think anyone on here would sell a 15 year old kid a car without a lic. and or driving experience knowing he had to drive it home. or at least I would hope not. Just my .02.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I did in fact misunderstand your first post. My bad..
well what the heck is wrong with you.. :D :D :D

Bradman
06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
I still think you did the right thing. I don't think anyone on here would sell a 15 year old kid a car without a lic. and or driving experience knowing he had to drive it home. or at least I would hope not. Just my .02.
I don't think anybody on here would. But what about an adult? Would you check their drivers license before selling them a car you were trying to sell. I know I wouldn't.

Bradman
06-07-2007, 08:10 PM
well what the heck is wrong with you.. :D :D :D
I just posted in the ARE YOU DRUNK THREAD. That should anwser your question.:D

HavaSkank
Would you check their drivers license before selling them a car you were trying to sell.
Man, if this became the trend, buying tampons would become awkward.

MRS FLYIN VEE
I just posted in the ARE YOU DRUNK THREAD. That should anwser your question.:D
LMAO!!:D :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-07-2007, 08:14 PM
:D I don't think anybody on here would. But what about an adult? Would you check their drivers license before selling them a car you were trying to sell. I know I wouldn't.
that is true.. But I honestly do make a copy of the lic so if they don't register the vehicle and wreck it with no ins. They have a copy of the lic from me :D :D I think I over react on that but previous bad experience with my father selling a motorcycle.:jawdrop:

Bradman
06-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Man, if this became the trend, buying tampons would become awkward.
LMAO:D :D :D

boatsnblondes
06-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Begrudgingly, I support your decision. Had he had time to at least go out with you for an hour or two, you should have sold it...BUT, not knowing how to get it off the trailer, or how to start it?? He needed a quick class from you. Also, jets can be a steep learning curve at first, you guys volunteering him for site six are sick and wrong, funny as hell, but sick and wrong.......:D

Bradman
06-07-2007, 08:26 PM
:D
that is true.. But I honestly do make a copy of the lic so if they don't register the vehicle and wreck it with no ins. They have a copy of the lic from me :D :D I think I over react on that but previous bad experience with my father selling a motorcycle.:jawdrop:
That is good. I learned early on that when I sell any type of vehicle, I go down to the DMV the next day and fill out the change of ownership paperwork. I sold a vehicle a few years back, and one day I received a ticket in the mail for parking in a handicap zone.:eek: Took it down to the DMV and they handled it from there.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-07-2007, 08:27 PM
That is good. I learned early on that when I sell any type of vehicle, I go down to the DMV the next day and fill out the change of ownership paperwork. I sold a vehicle a few years back, and one day I received a ticket in the mail for parking in a handicap zone.:eek: Took it down to the DMV and they handled it for there.
I here ya there.. Good deal. usually DMV sucks big time. with a few exceptions. :D :D

Bradman
06-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Begrudgingly, Also, jets can be a steep learning curve at first, .......:D
Ya, just ask Later.:) :) :)

Legal Chemistry
06-07-2007, 09:14 PM
it's called karma... womens intuition (lol).... whatever. You felt something might go wrong esp. with a kid involved. Somehow it may just be the right decision -now you don't have to worry about it or have that decision sitting on your shoulders. :D
steps off bucket

marty722
06-07-2007, 09:17 PM
it's called karma... womens intuition (lol).... whatever. You felt something might go wrong esp. with a kid involved. Somehow it may just be the right decision -now you don't have to worry about it or have that decision sitting on your shoulders. :D
steps off bucket
thanks thats what I thought

LEADFOOTjosh
06-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Well.. I think you did the rigtht thing.. Even though I would prob of sold it to him.. Even after I had a bad experience sellin a Mustang Drag car (650hp to the ground off the bottle) about 8 years ago.. Kid came out with his girl friend and a buddy.. liked the car.. yada yada yada.. sold it to him. Never had a stick shift car of his own.. and the highest HP thing he owned was a Automatic Honda civic.. well then took off in it and wraped it around a pole that night on his way home.. his girl friend was ****ed up.. I was younger.. and kinda laughed it off. But they could of eaily killed themselves
well my .02

catman-do
06-08-2007, 07:30 AM
I would have sold it to him on the condition that he agreed to let me deliver it to him at a lake so that I could teach him proper boating techniques, most importantly LOOK OVER SHOULDER BEFORE TURNING!

eliminatedsprinter
06-08-2007, 08:59 AM
I would have asked him to rent a small runabout or sea doo boat for his weekend at Havazoo and then told him he could purchase the above boat after learning to launch etc. I also would have suggested he take a boating safety course. I would not have nixed the deal completely, if he was willing to make a reasonable comprimise, like the above.
P.S.
I would have also givin him the # of the Ca dept of boating and waterways, so he could at least take thier free class via the mail.

desertbird
06-08-2007, 09:09 AM
...and you gotta do what you think is right.
10yrs ago I had my "High School Sweetheart" for sale. '68 El Camino, 500+ HP BBC, etc, etc, etc. Standard Friday night 13 second car (when the back wheels would stick!)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Elkosmall.jpg
So, dude comes to me and offers cash, full asking price. Halfway through the deal I realize he was buying this for his son for his 16th B-Day. I explained to him this was not the car for his kid and recommended he not buy it, but money talks and we made a deal. He agreed to monitor the kid, disconnect the secondaries on the carb, etc.
2 weeks later it's on the 11:00 news. Kid totalled it in a street race. You know who I felt bad for? The car. I loved that car and should have known better than to sell it to some ass like I did. I almost bought it back from the insurance yard, but just didn't have the strength to re-build it or see it again. (I'm actually getting a little choked up here writing this!!!!)
Fast Forward to 3 yrs ago, and I have my 19ft Cheetah for sale. This time it's an old man who's retired and wants a hot-rod to terrorize Lake Cachuma. I have my reservations, but instead, take him to the water, teach him how to launch, dock, fuel, etc. I spend a half day on the water with this guy for his own safety, and because I loved that boat too much to let some idiot sink it!
Gosh I hope it ain't sunk yet! :jawdrop: :) :) :jawdrop: At least I know you ***boat peeps would help me raise the money to resurrect it! lol