PDA

View Full Version : AN Fitting Assembly

BrendellaJet
06-07-2007, 07:15 PM
What the heck is the trick to not marring the hose ends upon assembly? Ive got them clamped in the vice(I've got some jaws on there that are not causing a problem. The crescent wrench Im using is leaving marks though. I even tried covering the wrench with numerous layers of tape and while that works for a couple rotations, the wrech eventually cuts through it. Do I really have to buy those annodized aluminum wrenches?

Cs19
06-07-2007, 08:05 PM
The aluminum wrenches actually aernt for doing assembly, they are for removing and tightening hose ends, the adjustable aluminum wrench might work for assembling hose ends, not sure...
Ive had real good results with using aluminum soft jaws (hose end goes in that v-shape notch in the soft jaw) in a vise, then i use a regular (thinnest one you've got) end wrench on the hose end and install it, just gotta be careful when its about bottomed out that you dont scratch anything. I put anti sieze on the threads and a little oil on the tip, never had a leak or failure and rarely scratch them when assembling.

BrendellaJet
06-07-2007, 08:13 PM
good idea. I actually just tried wrapping the fittings in some thick nylon belt(think tool belt-thats where mine came from...:D ) and use some vice grips. Not a scratch.

67weimann
06-07-2007, 08:17 PM
I used the AL wrenches and no scratches...:D

steelcomp
06-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I know not everyone has them, or can afford them, but Snap On wrenches don't scratch the anno. Everything else I've used does, and I hate that!!!! The magnetic aluminum soft jaws for the vise work real nice.
Make sure you leave a little clearance between the bottom of the fitting and the barrel...don't tighten them tight together. If you line up the flats on the hex it looks nicer. :D

BrendellaJet
06-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks Steel. I could probably go 2 more rotations. Flats are lined up. My method is definitely ghetto, but hell it worked.:D

Kindsvater Flat
06-07-2007, 09:00 PM
This is what happens trying to line up that last flat
http://www.schoutenranch.com/miscboat/fitting.JPG

obnoxious001
06-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Using the aluminum wrenches will probably end up with bent aluminum wrenches, they are not designed for that much force. Normal care with any wrench, crescent or otherwise should keep from scratching the anodizing. I set the fitting as low as I can in the vice, so the moving wrench does not scrape the part held in the vice. I don't have the "trick" magnetic aluminum jaws,, just a couple of pieces of 2" aluminum angle cut the same width as my vice jaws,, work fine. It's mostly common sense, proper lubrication and being just a bit careful, and yes, lining up the flats is common practice.

Rexone
06-07-2007, 10:42 PM
I know not everyone has them, or can afford them, but Snap On wrenches don't scratch the anno. Everything else I've used does, and I hate that!!!! The magnetic aluminum soft jaws for the vise work real nice.
Make sure you leave a little clearance between the bottom of the fitting and the barrel...don't tighten them tight together. If you line up the flats on the hex it looks nicer. :D
As a veteran of many thousands of hose end assemblies back in the day I can tell you Steel is right on the money here (see bold above).
Also good quality hose ends with good quality threads help prevent galling. Cheapies are cheap for a reason. Use oil on the threads as well. Not any WD40 type substance as it is not made for lubrication under pressure.

steelcomp
06-07-2007, 10:45 PM
This is what happens trying to line up that last flat
http://www.schoutenranch.com/miscboat/fitting.JPGThat's why you always leave .020-.030 clearance.
Crescent wrenches, and Craftsman/ other inexpensive wrenches usually have pretty rough surfaces on the faces of the wrench, which easily mar the soft anno. Snap-On, Proto, and some of the other nicer wrenches have nicely polished faces that don't scratch or mar. I wouldn't use a crescent wrench to hammer a stake in the ground...to me, they're useless, unless you're just trying to ruin something. The alum. wrenches aren't meant for assembly. Like everything else, the right tool for the right job, works every time.

steelcomp
06-07-2007, 10:50 PM
As a veteran of many thousands of hose end assemblies back in the day I can tell you Steel is right on the money here (see bold above).
Also good quality hose ends with good quality threads help prevent galling. Cheapies are cheap for a reason. Use oil on the threads as well. Not any WD40 type substance as it is not made for lubrication under pressure.After a year and a half of teaching hydraulics in Army helicopter maintenance school, I had my fill of AN/MS fittings. There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Army's way. :notam: :D

YeLLowBoaT
06-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Crescent wrenches, and Craftsman.... I wouldn't use a crescent wrench to hammer a stake in the ground...to me, they're useless, unless you're just trying to ruin something. T
hey thats why I buy craftsman... when I brake them, its just a 5 min drive in the car to sears and I get a new 1. I would never abuse a tool... honest. :D

Rexone
06-07-2007, 11:43 PM
My expererience is that cresent wrenches make pretty good hammers in a pinch and hammers assemble AN fittings about as good as cresent wrenches.

76miller
06-08-2007, 01:47 AM
Brendella, instead of using tape on your wrenches, use wax paper. It wont scratch and works really good. Just place it over the fitting then put your wrench to it and your fittings will stay perfect. 76miller

BA Kurtis
06-08-2007, 05:37 AM
I tried the polished nickle plated fittings and I like them, you have to have the right vice jaws but on these fittings you can use steel wrenchs no problem, just my $.02

steelcomp
06-08-2007, 06:19 AM
My expererience is that cresent wrenches make pretty good hammers in a pinch and hammers assemble AN fittings about as good as cresent wrenches.That right there made me spit my milk!!!
(thanks a f*ckin lot, Mike!) LOL!!!! :D

BrendellaJet
06-08-2007, 07:19 AM
I tried the polished nickle plated fittings and I like them, you have to have the right vice jaws but on these fittings you can use steel wrenchs no problem, just my $.02
In hindsight that would have been a simpler process. Maybe next time...

RandyH
06-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Use oil on the threads as well. Not any WD40 type substance as it is not made for lubrication under pressure.
Really, So does everyone lube the threads before making connections? I had not heard this one. Makes sense.

Rexone
06-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Really, So does everyone lube the threads before making connections? I had not heard this one. Makes sense.
They should be lubed with oil during assembly to prevent the liklihood of the aluminum threads galling.

GofastRacer
06-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Anodizing against anodizing is like stainless against stainless, gotta lube it!...

GofastRacer
06-09-2007, 07:56 PM
My expererience is that cresent wrenches make pretty good hammers in a pinch and hammers assemble AN fittings about as good as cresent wrenches.
Those new aluminum anodized crescent wrenches work pretty good though!..:)

Fiat48
06-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Refer to this old thread if you need to cut braided hose.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46347&highlight=hammer+chisel

HONDOG
06-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Anodizing against anodizing is like stainless against stainless, gotta lube it!...
I use Nevr-Seize on the threads, works great!

GofastRacer
06-10-2007, 05:40 PM
I use Nevr-Seize on the threads, works great!
Yep that works, I use moly grease though, not as messy as Anti-Sleize!..:D