sanger ss396
06-07-2007, 07:44 PM
nice looking

boatguy222
06-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Boyd has the old gal looking good. Now let get the injection on it!:D

fc-pilot
06-07-2007, 10:05 PM
I agree. Get that carb/intake off of that thing and put some injection stuff on it.
Paul

FlatRat
06-08-2007, 02:04 AM
Boyd has the old gal looking good. Now let get the injection on it!:D
Yea!!!
Looking good there Boyd:sleeping: :sleeping:

CircleJerk
06-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Well, Larry did it. Tanks.... We bought this boat for parts for a low price of 2500 running! I robbed all the good stuff for Robins Lavey including its trailer and sold what was left. Then Harlan told me what it was, I was the first in line to buy it back. Many Thanks goes to Gary (eticket) who bought my Barron Sprint and gave me part of the cash neccessary. My favorite black cat named 'Greaser' died and this boat was just as black and dirty as she was so hense the name.
The original gold metalflake gel can be seen on the transom where I carefully sanded the orange enamel off. Twin 20 gallon fuel tanks have been cut open to create storage pockets and replaced with a stringer mount alum 8 gallon. Maybe these original big tanks gave some clue as to its former life as a marathon racer? Add to this its narrow stringers, balsa floor, and sparse dash gauges might suggest what the original owner had in mind for this 1968 shark. Wish someone would share with me IF these style boats had any real success on the race course.
A while back someone (KurtisKraft?) posted their parents wood deck Shark and said it was copied or splashed by Rusty Beisemeyer and Jullian (the King). Now can anyone see a resemblance in the bottom? The four strakes appear to be whittled and ground on to reduce their depth and or change their length. The strut area shows a 1/4 inch for every 4 feet of front to back rocker. And you can see the side to side 5/8 rocker from keel to chine. The boat really absorbs big water like a v-bottom. You can see the 8 in. stainless steel cav plate.
The injection will go on as soon as I am beaten by worthy competition, I need gas mileage at the moment. By the way that is a weiand dominator intake with a Jerk highly modified 830 now sporting 950 cfm and it works just fine Mr. Rat!
A polished 12 degree runs 15 gears and turns a Stellings 12X15 prop with an Algon shaft release. Originaly powering the 'Warlock' Barron Sprint drag boat of Glen Shoeman its 468 LS7 was built in 1976 by Joe at Reaths Custom Engines. It still has its original rings and bearings since it was carefully stored for the last 27 years!
In case you cant tell, I am trying to create a Nostalgic K class.....jErK

CircleJerk
06-08-2007, 09:08 AM
One other weird detail, in picture #013 you ran barely see between the e and the a of the name a slight seam which runs from top to bottom. This is a factory seam! It's proof of a THREE piece mold. The left side, the right and the deck. Yup the seam goes right down the middle of the boat. how many boats were made this way and why?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-08-2007, 09:13 AM
In case you cant tell, I am trying to create a Nostalgic K class.....jErK
Cool boat Boyd.
There were 6 registered K boats in nov 1968 and 73 by years end 1969. Most were unblown. :)

Rattle Can Lou
06-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Boyd, if I was a guessing man I would say that mold design was done for a couple reasons. Having the deck sit on top of the boat instaed of a normal seam was probably stronger. I think the idea was either Joe Mandella or Lou Brummett with the Mandella hulls. If you think about stress cracks in the conventional hulls they seam to break around the cap. You also never had to glass and grind a seam to get rid of the rub rail. Also the split mold was easier to "pop" the boat out...just a few observations.

Poverty Case
06-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Hey Boyd, take care of that engine. I have the Warlock / Barron waiting for its original engine. :) Actually, I will either install my 402 or a 502+ something. Not sure yet. The Warlock made a safe trip home. We really enjoyed talking to Gary E-ticket. He is one of the best! Lots of fun stories. Hey Lou, I have an all wood 68 Wickens under restoration. There is quite a story behind that one on a v-drive.com forum. It looks alot like Boy's Shark, but without the strikes on the bottom. It's a true flat. Wonder if the shark has Fred Wickens influence?
Too many projects...Na!

Rattle Can Lou
06-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I read the story. Quite a past, road rash and all. It will be a great boat when your done..

Poverty Case
06-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Road Rash..LOL. Its Strawberry field rash. Or is that Strawberry Fields forever? The trailer was totally trashed. Don't want to hijack the thread, so I will save it for another story. Can't believe CircleJerk has not sold his other two boats. Looks like a great deal...If I only didn't have so many toys already. Interesting strakes Boyd. Looks like a flatty, but rides like a V. Way too cool!

CircleJerk
06-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Road Rash..LOL. Its Strawberry field rash. Or is that Strawberry Fields forever? The trailer was totally trashed. Don't want to hijack the thread, so I will save it for another story. Can't believe CircleJerk has not sold his other two boats. Looks like a great deal...If I only didn't have so many toys already. Interesting strakes Boyd. Looks like a flatty, but rides like a V. Way too cool!
Actually the most current Canary B=boat has four strakes and I think were experimented with for quite some time on numerous models, just look at your wild bottom and explain that! Jullian did say he had to change their angle to aid in cornering and this boat does slide quite a bit in the turn, but in comparison to what I used to, a real race Lavey, I guess I'm spoiled!:D

CircleJerk
06-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Boyd, if I was a guessing man I would say that mold design was done for a couple reasons. Having the deck sit on top of the boat instaed of a normal seam was probably stronger. I think the idea was either Joe Mandella or Lou Brummett with the Mandella hulls. If you think about stress cracks in the conventional hulls they seam to break around the cap. You also never had to glass and grind a seam to get rid of the rub rail. Also the split mold was easier to "pop" the boat out...just a few observations.
You know, that makes real sense! You are a pretty smart fellow. Now ask your Dad if there were any that were competitive in their day..... Not that I care to go any faster:D or invest in a 'B'! I have an 'A'!

CircleJerk
06-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Cool boat Boyd.
There were 6 registered K boats in nov 1968 and 73 by years end 1969. Most were unblown. :)
That's real interesting, I knew I was close but not perfect, chances are if the mold was made somewhere in 68, some ran in the class. Anyone know for sure? Kurtis? Billy?

CircleJerk
06-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Third race of year,,,,,this weekend at Newport Wa. the boat is ready to test, now if I can just find a driver.

FlatRat
06-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Third race of year,,,,,this weekend at Newport Wa. the boat is ready to test, now if I can just find a driver.
Ya never know,
maybe a Rat and a half will show up.....:idea: :sleeping: :confused: :D :D

CircleJerk
07-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Newport had 9 flats and two jets. By Sunday, only three were racing! I and Flat Rat were the first casualtys. Tim felt like the five man electric band with signs everywhere he looked and the one on his oil pan said: "Too Hot to Touch"/?@*:# YUP, crying towels all around....At least we didnt spit rods out like the SS701,,,Ouch, No Crashes to report! SS76 orange Crush Lavey won the fast bunch and 535 Hondo barely claimed the SK class with Steve's Hallet within inches every lap!! Great driving everyone on a difficult river.
Of special interest: the 'E-Motion' #E39 Marlin with it's 350 sbc ran right with the BBC SKs for two heats with veteran driver, Dave Weber returning to the wheel after 28 years away from the craft. Great to see this super guy and nearly extinct hull reappear! Dave, it was a thrill to nail the clock with you right beside me in lane 5, I only wish I could have stayed closer so I could see your armpit to armpit smile!:) Watch for the Dave and Son Weber team running up front once more! Welcome back!
Breakfast was fun with our 'kids' sitting at the small table deciding on the: Special at 'Audreys restaurant' :
Spotted Owl breasts simmered to perfection in light Exon Valdeze oil (logging country), or Biscuits and Gravy.
Oh, and I did blow a head gasket, should buy the good ones next time! Timmie needs an oil cooler, anyone have one? Boy that Howard was putting a spanking on last years Champion in 'Sweet Caroline'!
Good times really outweigh the bad, Thanks Smyth family, Bobbie, Robin, Aaron, Scotty, SLORA, and all those boat holder helpers!

FlatRat
07-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Yea buddy,
I broke it...but yes Jerk no rods but ....I didn't go for a swim.It felt good to get back in the saddle after flippin' last year.10-4 on the good times all around.Now back in the box there Jerk...:D :D

GofastRacer
07-02-2007, 04:51 AM
Boat looks good Boyd!.:cool:
Sorry to hear about the mishap Tim!..:(

FlatRat
07-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Boat looks good Boyd!.:cool:
Sorry to hear about the mishap Tim!..:(
Thanks Art,
we'll get it sorted out.Not sure why the front cover and balancer was so hot.Bearing maybe...??It runs strong and I'm a smarter driver than last year.:D

sanger ss396
07-02-2007, 09:32 AM
i came up to newport after i got off work and the jerk said that u had left before i could get there and i had my sanger with me. i have a oil cooler if you would like it. if you do i can get shipping info from the jerk. mrs jerk drove the last heat of the day in that really nice white and purple sanger. and after the race she drove my boat.

FlatRat
07-02-2007, 11:54 AM
i came up to newport after i got off work and the jerk said that u had left before i could get there and i had my sanger with me. i have a oil cooler if you would like it. if you do i can get shipping info from the jerk. mrs jerk drove the last heat of the day in that really nice white and purple sanger. and after the race she drove my boat.
Hey Larry,
sorry we missed ya.We wanted to see your nice Sanger.Do ya have any info or pics of the oil cooler?If ya do send pics to:
Choppers@interbel.net
thanks,Rat:idea:

72 superlite
07-03-2007, 06:55 PM
[
Of special interest: the 'E-Motion' #E39 Marlin with it's 350 sbc ran right with the BBC SKs for two heats with veteran driver, Dave Weber returning to the wheel after 28 years away from the craft. Great to see this super guy and nearly extinct hull reappear!!
I told you guys that hull would work, but nooooo! everybody said it was too small. Boyd you going to black lake?

Billdoe
07-08-2007, 12:51 PM
i have a 69 Aqua-Craft flatty im getting ready to get running and have been wondering how you can tell the Shark hull . i noticed the flat edge on the bottom of the boat showing some mini runners . is that how you tell if you have an actual Shark hull? ive been trying to find out if mine was one or not and i know its a Wickens design i have but no one has been able to tell me how you identify if its a shark hull .. nice looking boat by the way looks just like mine from what i seen so far . Bill

CircleJerk
07-08-2007, 10:15 PM
[
Boyd you going to black lake?
NO! I am raced out! And make a bum spectator!

CircleJerk
07-08-2007, 10:22 PM
i have a 69 Aqua-Craft flatty im getting ready to get running and have been wondering how you can tell the Shark hull . i noticed the flat edge on the bottom of the boat showing some mini runners . is that how you tell if you have an actual Shark hull? ive been trying to find out if mine was one or not and i know its a Wickens design i have but no one has been able to tell me how you identify if its a shark hull .. nice looking boat by the way looks just like mine from what i seen so far . Bill
I think they call them 'strakes'?? Or little pointy long bumps running parallel to the keel. They are modified Wickens, for sure and have the b-boat profile. There are some additional pictures at www.v-driveboat.com in the General BS about 'Aquacraft'. And thanks!