PDA

View Full Version : Boat 1, Me Zero - How to Get My Boat off My Trailer?

C-2
06-07-2007, 07:50 PM
I need to get my boat off my trailer so I can have the trailer painted.
Yeah, I know, the easiest way would be to take it down to dry storage at the bay and have them lift it off; storing the boat in dry storage until the trailer is fixed (the drive is also off the boat, so no floaty at the local lake).
But being the hillbilly/909’er that I am, there’s gotta be a “better” way.
So, any suggestions or past experiences?
Today I had the boat strapped in my wife’s horse barn and it would have worked fine – but the steel beams started to bow and I figured wifey would get a little pissed if the barn crashed down on her horsies.
In the alternative, do you know the names of any dry dock places in Newport?
Thanks

HavasuSelect
06-07-2007, 07:54 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2544479&posted=1#post2544479

acatitude
06-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I know, the easiest way would be to take it down to dry storage at the bay and have them lift it off; storing the boat in dry storage until the trailer is fixed (the drive is also off the boat, so no floaty at the local lake).
But being the hillbilly/909’er that I am, there’s gotta be a “better” way.
So, any suggestions or past experiences?
Today I had the boat strapped in my wife’s horse barn and it would have worked fine – but the steel beams started to bow and I figured wifey would get a little pissed if the barn crashed down on her horsies.
In the alternative, do you know the names of any dry dock places in Newport?
Thanks
easy fix put the damn horses outside.... life has priorities:D

C-2
06-07-2007, 07:58 PM
easy fix put the damn horses outside.... life has priorities:D
Trust me, those bastards have a taste for fiberglass and when I saw the beam bowing - I kind of had this shiat arse grin on my face.:D

wsuwrhr
06-07-2007, 07:59 PM
I did something supercool in my garage to lift the boat off the trailer.

Old school Ultra
06-07-2007, 08:04 PM
call Bear Trailers 818-727-1585

C-2
06-07-2007, 08:05 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2544479&posted=1#post2544479
Funny, I saw your trailer rebuild and that's what got me going.
United Rentals huh......let me take a looksy, thanks for the idea :)

C-2
06-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I did something supercool in my garage to lift the boat off the trailer.
And what would that be.....:idea:

uvindex
06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Found this on another site. Good luck! :)
First find a level spot(hint driveway) Get two jackstands. Let the front of the trailer down as low as it will go. Place the jackstands under jackplate, might need a timber or two to get high enough to support it. Make sure they are far enough apart so the boat will not rock. Then crank up the front jack as high as it will go. Should raise back of boat off trailer. Now you need two saw-horses and a long timber(6"X6"Xwider than outside of trailer)capable of supporting the boat.Place saw-horses with timber across and under the eyelet in bow(to keep from sliding)and use a piece of good carpet between boat and timber. I cut a small V-notch in mine to get closer to boat. Now lower the front until everything is clear. Then just pull trailer out from under boat and do your work. Then reverse process. Only takes 20minutes to get boat off trailer and same time to put it back. Also lets you look at underside of boat while suspended there.

HavasuSelect
06-07-2007, 08:13 PM
LOL, well in that case I apologize for getting you into this mess. :D

Pussywhippled
06-07-2007, 08:15 PM
When do you need to do it?

C-2
06-07-2007, 08:18 PM
When do you need to do it?
Within the next week or two - no hurry, still have to send a carb off to be rebuilt a the CarbShop (2-3 week turnaround).

Pussywhippled
06-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Within the next week or two - no hurry, still have to send a carb off to be rebuilt a the CarbShop (2-3 week turnaround).
I have a 8000lb capacity overhead bridge crane but what to do with the boat after its off the trailer?

C-2
06-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Found this on another site. Good luck! :)
First find a level spot(hint driveway) Get two jackstands. Let the front of the trailer down as low as it will go. Place the jackstands under jackplate, might need a timber or two to get high enough to support it. Make sure they are far enough apart so the boat will not rock. Then crank up the front jack as high as it will go. Should raise back of boat off trailer. Now you need two saw-horses and a long timber(6"X6"Xwider than outside of trailer)capable of supporting the boat.Place saw-horses with timber across and under the eyelet in bow(to keep from sliding)and use a piece of good carpet between boat and timber. I cut a small V-notch in mine to get closer to boat. Now lower the front until everything is clear. Then just pull trailer out from under boat and do your work. Then reverse process. Only takes 20minutes to get boat off trailer and same time to put it back. Also lets you look at underside of boat while suspended there.
Thanks - I know there's a way to do it with jacks, I've always wondered how to get them to stay on the vee \/ without moving and going thru the hassle of mocking up some type of jack plate. Maybe this the way everybody does it?

YeLLowBoaT
06-07-2007, 08:24 PM
just build a dolly, floor jack( or 2 for a bigger boat) and some blocks of woold... done it many many times. Just lift up the boat... pull the trailer forward a 1 foot or 2... slide the dolly in, repeat.

C-2
06-07-2007, 08:29 PM
I have a 8000lb capacity overhead bridge crane but what to do with the boat after its off the trailer?
That's part of the hassle too - if I did it at the horse property - it's on an acre of land.

shrek
06-07-2007, 08:43 PM
I think I know where I can get a United Rentals forklift.......
Let me know if I can help.......
"Shrek"
Matt
Branch Manager
United Rentals

SPOCKER
06-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Put it in the water !!!! :D :D lol

plaster dave
06-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Go to a Foam shop for construction use and tell them to make you some block to set the boat on and make sure it is 2lbs. foam. Cal Foam is the place I use and the number is 818-678-6655 ask for Jerry and tell him Dave Petty sent you.

Old Texan
06-08-2007, 05:01 AM
I'm getting a feeling the next thread will be titled- "Need help on getting my boat back on my trailer, it's beached in my back yard".........:devil: :D :D

91nordic29
06-08-2007, 07:15 AM
LOL, well in that case I apologize for getting you into this mess. :D
ROFL:D :D

C-2
06-08-2007, 07:28 AM
-- Thanks for the offers of help everybody --
In addition to those on this thread, I also received a few PM's. This place is great. :)
------------
At this point, I'll see if I can find a beam which can support the weight (it's only 2K pounds or so). My straps and winch pick it up fine and I'd like to keep the boat at my property in case the trailer project turns into...a project, lol.
I'll keep everybody updated. :)

Mountainstone
06-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks
Here's an easy way from a different thread (this place is full of great ideas):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/empire231/4ukvhg3.jpg

wsuwrhr
06-08-2007, 05:23 PM
C2
I owe you one, I will bring my by apparatus and even help you out if you need me to. I have everything you will need except for two come-alongs.
I'll even throw in the boat cart until you get your trailer done.
Brian
-- Thanks for the offers of help everybody --
In addition to those on this thread, I also received a few PM's. This place is great. :)
------------
At this point, I'll see if I can find a beam which can support the weight (it's only 2K pounds or so). My straps and winch pick it up fine and I'd like to keep the boat at my property in case the trailer project turns into...a project, lol.
I'll keep everybody updated. :)

wsuwrhr
06-08-2007, 05:24 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63Image4.jpg

wsuwrhr
06-08-2007, 05:24 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63Image5.jpg

wsuwrhr
06-08-2007, 05:27 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/boathang.jpg

bigq
06-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Dude your in the 909 just put up on blocks on the lawn or street:D

Noisy Nova
06-09-2007, 05:39 AM
I used one of these:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/noisynova/DSCF0376.jpg
and one of these:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/noisynova/DSCF0377.jpg

Batsfly
06-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Easy, Buy a house in Lake Havasu, launch one boat in water, drive to London Beach resort, pay 200-300 per night for room, Pay extra for boat dock. Dock boat. Run back in 130 Degree heat to Windsor ramp pick up now empty boat trailer and truck. There!! Easy Fun and no physics, balance acts or jacks involved.

C-2
06-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the offer of help wsuwrhr - I appreciate it.
My wife told me to quit being a p**ssy. I picked up 3 Doug Fir 4X6 beams. They should hold it fine. :)

wsuwrhr
06-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the offer of help wsuwrhr - I appreciate it.
My wife told me to quit being a p**ssy. I picked up 3 Doug Fir 4X6 beams. They should hold it fine. :)
Anytime, you are welcome.
I am thinking you are using three straps to lift the boat, it may be ok.
A pair of 4x6 supported on the ends with an 8 foot spread may not be enough.
Just my opinion.
Brian

r erfert
06-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Just keep your weight under the stringers
http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/album41/Mvc_005f_009.sized.jpg

C-2
06-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Anytime, you are welcome.
I am thinking you are using three straps to lift the boat, it may be ok.
A pair of 4x6 supported on the ends with an 8 foot spread may not be enough.
Just my opinion.
Brian
You were right, twin stacked 4X6's were not enough over a 12' spread. Amazing, but they too started to sag.
I might have to take you up on that offer - I also have a 14' trailer to carry crap around in - would your stuff fit in that?

Riverkid
06-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I've got a 20' BigTex carhauler if you need it...

wsuwrhr
06-10-2007, 03:59 PM
You were right, twin stacked 4X6's were not enough over a 12' spread. Amazing, but they too started to sag.
I might have to take you up on that offer - I also have a 14' trailer to carry crap around in - would your stuff fit in that?
I could bring all my shiz over in the pickup no problem. I have 8x8 beams I use for my apparatus.
Why the 12' spread anyway? Your trailer isn't that wide is it?
BTW...Boat 2, you zero
Brian