PDA

View Full Version : pump shaft runout

bakerjet
06-09-2007, 08:57 PM
berk 12jg A
can a guy check the runout on the shaft with the pump out but still together and just spin the shaft i'm showing .003-.004?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-10-2007, 12:24 PM
berk 12jg A
can a guy check the runout on the shaft with the pump out but still together and just spin the shaft i'm showing .003-.004?
If memory serves me correct I think the runout is .002-.003

bakerjet
06-10-2007, 01:44 PM
thanks 396 i have a vibe. in the boat that i can't figure out:mad: pulled the pump and done the runout on the shaft and pulled the end cap off the thrust bearing, grease looks like a silvery pearl color and i'm guessing its going out but not sure if the shaft is bent and caused the bearing to start to fail the run out i got sure isn't much past what you said??:mad:

HammerDown
06-10-2007, 02:13 PM
thanks 396 i have a vibe. in the boat that i can't figure out:mad: pulled the pump and done the runout on the shaft and pulled the end cap off the thrust bearing, grease looks like a silvery pearl color and i'm guessing its going out but not sure if the shaft is bent and caused the bearing to start to fail the run out i got sure isn't much past what you said??:mad:
With the Shaft out and the Impeller on in a Lathe set up a Dial Indicator...check the runout at the outside and front area of the Impeller where it meets the Wear Ring.
My shaft was out .002...the Impeller was off even more.
I cut it to zero on a Lathe.
A bad Thrust Bearing and or bad Bowl Bushings can cause your vibration as well as something in the Engine, Driveline or Flexplate!