PDA

View Full Version : Lake Travis Boat Accident

Turbojack
06-10-2007, 06:52 AM
The girl was the daughter of the man.
Boat's engines did not die after accident & was circling. A red Fountain that was near by resued the two out of the middle of the circling boat.

H20Advantage
06-10-2007, 07:26 AM
That was cryptic but here is a news story:
Deadly Boat Accident On Lake Travis
6/10/2007
Newsroom
A 10 or 11 year old girl is dead after being thrown off of a boat in Lake Travis Saturday night near Paradise Cove. Officials say the girl was in a boat that was traveling at high speed over the water when it hit a wake and became airborn. The girl and her father were thrown from the boat and injured. The girl later died at Brackenridge hospital. The father broke his leg in the ordeal.

Thorsinc
06-10-2007, 08:32 AM
This brings a harsh reality to boating, one minute your on top of the world, the next your life is upside down. I could not even begin to imagine the emotional pain the family is in. God speed to them. And all be safe this summer.

HTRDLNCN
06-12-2007, 07:33 AM
That was Rick and his daughter,he lives right down the street from me.
He is still in the hospital , I cant imagine what it will be
like for him in next few months.
There is a pretty complete story from freinds and witnesses on OSO
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160460
PS: they have determined niether speed(approx 40mph) nor alcohol were involved. The rear of the Fountain powerboat seperated after hitting a large cruiser wake causing it to veer sharply throwing the occupants out.

Sherpa
06-12-2007, 08:39 AM
I read some of the posts on OSO............ the conversation between the
driver and his freind (which posted the conversation on OSO) indicated he
saw the large wake, and told his daughter to "hang on".........
this to me means he had enough time to tell her to hang on, and also had enough time to just back way off the throttles and slow down... waaay down.
terrible tragedy, the guy will never forget what happened....
surely sounds like a poor, poor decision on his part by not backing down.
--Sherpa
PS: I HATE the fact that the only way to view pics on OSO is to become a
member... which you gotta pay for............ OSO sucks for that..

seanv
06-12-2007, 08:56 AM
and fathers day is coming.... poor poor family.
accidents happen sherp. cmon man show compassion.

RiverDave
06-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Terrible Tragedy..
Pictures of the boat if you want to see it, and what actually failed.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-z9i16k
Incidentally if you read the last 4 or 5 posts on OSO, there's a few people saying it's not uncommon for Fountains hulls to fail in this fashion?
RD

DMOORE
06-12-2007, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE=Sherpa;2615069]I read some of the posts on OSO............ the conversation between the
this to me means he had enough time to tell her to hang on, and also had enough time to just back way off the throttles and slow down... waaay down.
--Sherpa
Oh really. And you know this for sure? How do you know he didn't try to slow. I just said the words "hang on" and it took less than a second. If his boat were traveling at 40 and he pulled the throttles back, it would not slow down a great deal in less than a second. Way to slam the guy. It shows real class on your part.
Darrell.

shippingguy
06-12-2007, 09:07 AM
I read some of the posts on OSO............ the conversation between the
--Sherpa
PS: I HATE the fact that the only way to view pics on OSO is to become a
member... which you gotta pay for............ OSO sucks for that..
Pretty weak post bro. Nice assumption:) By the way I do not pay to look at pics on OSO. You may want to check again.

DMOORE
06-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Terrible Tragedy..
Pictures of the boat if you want to see it, and what actually failed.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-z9i16k
Incidentally if you read the last 4 or 5 posts on OSO, there's a few people saying it's not uncommon for Fountains hulls to fail in this fashion?
RD
Most of the time when a hull fails like that, it's due to a spin.
Darrell.

RiverDave
06-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Most of the time when a hull fails like that, it's due to a spin.
Darrell.
There saying in these cases it's backwards.. The hull is failing whicn in turn is inducing the sharp turn.. Not the turn or "spin" is causing the failure.
RD

Mardonzi
06-12-2007, 09:16 AM
None of us were there so it's hard to say what should have been done, or even if the right thing under the circumstances was done. Boating on Powell and experiencing Tour boat wakes has shown me only one thing,, no two wakes or approaches are the same. We've had people injured from hitting the wake at speed, and we've had people injured and killed from backing off the throttles as they've hit them..
We can all Monday Morning quarterback this thing to death,, but the end result will be the same. A little girl lost her life and a father will be without her.
RIP and Best wishes Rick

phebus
06-12-2007, 09:55 AM
I agree. "What If'ing" it is worthless, but fact finding is a very important to help something similar from happening in the future.