PDA

View Full Version : Flights to Hawaii

wsuwrhr
06-10-2007, 12:02 PM
A good friend of mine just finished renovating his house in Hawaii. He gave me first dibs to stay in it before he starts renting it out. He said we can leave as soon as we want and stay for as long as we want. A week or two would be all I could afford anyway, but the offer rocks.
Sweet!!!
What is the best way to get deals on airfare for 2-4 adults?
Weekend-midweek-redeye, whatever it takes.
I am sure enough HB peeps have been to the big island to give up some travel tips.
Flying into Hilo from either Ontario(preferred) or LAX, Burbank or wherever.
I have never been off the continent and never flew over water.
Crazy!!!
Brian

Ziggy
06-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Flying Aloha out of John Wayne has always been the best deal we've found...this year we flew from San Diego for the same price.
Directs may be limited to Hilo, but the drive from Kona to Hilo isn't too bad though, and is scenic no matter which way you take.
I do believe Aloha may have some flights from ONT as well....
do yourself a favor and avoid flights that need a transfer in Honolulu or Maui, those are often late, alway heard people moaning about that.
I love the big island..............do not pass the chance to go expore Vocano's National Park, fancinating beyond.

BoatPI
06-10-2007, 12:16 PM
www.sidestep.com

zudnic
06-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Find Alaska/Horizon Airlines usely has the best short notice web special deals. If you left tomorrow two week stay $1,682.22 Economy seats and rental car included, package price is for two adults. For example..

OverKill
06-10-2007, 12:28 PM
My wife and I were married on the Big Island in June of 2005. Let me tell you this if your 6'3" like I am. Don't sit in the middle of three seats on a 6 hour flight. You will be cramped and pretty much eating your shoulders. Also if you like to drink alcohol like I do, ask to sit on an isle seat. It makes it easier to get to the bathroom.
We used expedia.com and got a great rate, that was flying out of Phoenix then to LAX then to the Big Island. We did use Delta Airlines to get there and I tell you this for some extra cash. Fly First Class.
Couple things you have to do. First you have to go Para Sailing. Look up UFO Para Sailing when you get there, we went 1200 feet and I tell ya the peace and quiet up there is unforgetable. Also not expensive. A great place to eat is, Panco's and Lefty's, and the Hard Rock Cafe. Alway's a party there at night. If your looking for a real nice place to eat try the Four Seasons resort, the view of the ocean is priceless. Well thats all I can think of at the moment. I will rethink everything outside of our hotel room LOL and post up later.

Ziggy
06-10-2007, 12:39 PM
The view at sunset from the 4 Seasons Hualalai.......;) http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32607&stc=1&d=1181507900

Ziggy
06-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Sand court next to HardRock cafe.....guess the girls were interested in the boys down there and snapped this pic.. :D:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32608&stc=1&d=1181508175

imbndvs
06-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Check Hawaiian Airlines. Good prices, GREAT service and they have newer planes that are much nicer than anyone else and if you fly coach, its like flying business class on any other airline. Sign up for a Hawaiian airlines frequent flyer number and when you sign in under your number they take $10.00 of each round trip airfare.

R.A.D.man
06-10-2007, 02:14 PM
What is the best way to get deals on airfare for 2-4 adults?
Brian
I can save you a solid 25% if I am one of those 4 adults.;)

Baja Big Dog
06-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Look out for the scams, Make sure you get a non-stop flight!!!:D

C-2
06-10-2007, 02:45 PM
My in-laws have a house there and when we went last September, he got us round trip ticks for three, and a weeks car rental for $1100. AA to Kauai direct, no layover on the big island.
Lemme check with him.

wsuwrhr
06-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Apparently the house is located in Paniolo Green or greens.
It is somewhere near a state park and the volcano.
How far is it from Pearl Harbor?
Thanks for all the info so far peeps.
Brian

OverKill
06-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Well if your going to the Big island it's no where near it, and pretty far

Ivan Dan
06-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Flying Aloha out of John Wayne has always been the best deal we've found...this year we flew from San Diego for the same price.
Directs may be limited to Hilo, but the drive from Kona to Hilo isn't too bad though, and is scenic no matter which way you take.
I do believe Aloha may have some flights from ONT as well....
do yourself a favor and avoid flights that need a transfer in Honolulu or Maui, those are often late, alway heard people moaning about that.
I love the big island..............do not pass the chance to go expore Vocano's National Park, fancinating beyond.
This was the best deal we could find as well. Flying out of Ontario is SOO much easier but it was worth the hassle flying out of John Wayne for the deal Aloha had. When we went a year ago for our wedding it was $700 round trip of both of us. We went to the big Island and flew into Kona.
This is a picture of our wedding at the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Dan_Kaatz_Wedding_Photo.jpg

OverKill
06-10-2007, 07:01 PM
This was the best deal we could find as well. Flying out of Ontario is SOO much easier but it was worth the hassle flying out of John Wayne for the deal Aloha had. When we went a year ago for our wedding it was $700 round trip of both of us. We went to the big Island and flew into Kona.
This is a picture of our wedding at the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island.
Where was the Hilton at from the Airport. My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont Orchid. I did love the pool side drink service but did not like the $600 dollar bill at the end of our stay.
That reminds me if you have a Costco card bring it. They have one there on the big island. My wife and I stocked up on liquor and some stuff to snack on. That saved some cash. Also if you have a rental car you can gas up a Costco to. Just to save more $$$$$$ ;)

MBlaster
06-10-2007, 07:44 PM
2 words...
Costco travel.
I just booked 4 united roundtrip nonstop LAX-LIH(kauai) with a car for 9 days for 2300 bucks.
We are staying in a house on the beach in Hanalei Bay(paradise).
You must book a car or hotel through costco travel. Knowone could beat Costco's price.

MBlaster
06-10-2007, 07:54 PM
My in-laws have a house there and when we went last September, he got us round trip ticks for three, and a weeks car rental for $1100. AA to Kauai direct, no layover on the big island.
Lemme check with him.
3 rountrip nonstops and a car for a week for 1100...ahhh OK

H2O
06-10-2007, 08:06 PM
PM me if you want a quote. I'm in the biz and I book flights to Hawaii almost daily. I can usually get better deal than Expedia, etc. and if I can't, I'll let you know that too. (Quotes are free, no obligation, etc..)

OverKill
06-10-2007, 08:13 PM
2 words...
Costco travel.
I just booked 4 united roundtrip nonstop LAX-LIH(kauai) with a car for 9 days for 2300 bucks.
We are staying in a house on the beach in Hanalei Bay(paradise).
You must book a car or hotel through costco travel. Knowone could beat Costco's price.
Costco Costco Costco. You got that right. Our Resort didn't like it to much when we walked up to our room with three box's full of food and liquor ;)

No Name
06-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Good looking couple. But really would it have killed you to throw on a pair of slacks?:D

Magic34
06-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Pearl Harbor is on Oahu, so you would need to take a flight over there. It is about a 25 minute flight and about a 4-6 hour ordeal to get through the whole thing.
The Hilo airport is completely outdoors, so dont show up with long pants, you'll sweat your a$$ off.
The big island is huge and takes hours to drive around it. It has many different aspects. Parts of it are rainforest, then you have a section that looks like the desert in AZ, then you have the volcano and a ton of lava, as well as a mountin that gets snow. The fastest way to see it all is to do a helicopter ride.
The hike (from where you park) to the lava hitting the water is at least 1.5 miles if I can remember from last year.
And if there is a natural disaster like an earthquake.... good luck, then cant deal with those things, period. I was there last October for the big one. Shut the whole state down for a few days.

C-2
06-10-2007, 10:52 PM
3 rountrip nonstops and a car for a week for 1100...ahhh OK
10 days, and a car upgrade (wait till you're there) for $150 for a Chevy SUV. They go twice, spmetimes 3 times per year - so they know where to get the smokin deals. We are going back, probably December to watch the big surf.
Just down the street from Hanalei in Wainiha Bay

shockwaveharry
06-11-2007, 02:19 AM
Aloha has $199 one way specials this month from OC airport. check their site and see if you can make the dates fit.

roostwear
06-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Dude, you can't even make it to the river.....

wsuwrhr
06-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Dude, you can't even make it to the river.....
No motorhome, sorry.
I am not sleeping in a tent.

wsuwrhr
06-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Well if your going to the Big island it's no where near it, and pretty far
Bummer, I always wanted to see Pearl Harbor

Magic34
06-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Bummer, I always wanted to see Pearl Harbor
You have 3 options...
#1, get a flight into Honolulu and delay the connecting flight 7-8 hours. That way you can go to Pearl Harbor while waiting for your next flight. Do this in the middle of the week though.
#2, do the same as above but get a cheap hotel in Honolulu ($150) and stay 1 night. That way you can check out the main island as well. Then continue to Hilo the next day.
#3, fly over on Hawaiian Air for a day trip, it is $39/one way per person.
If this is your first time to go and you really want to do.... do it. Dont hold anything back if you dont plan on going again anytime soon.