PDA

View Full Version : 454 question

'78Konajet
02-13-2006, 02:02 PM
I have a stock 454, and I aquired a set of roller rockers. Can I just bolt them on or do I have to change the pushrods or anything else? If they just bolt on does anyone know how many ft/lbs to tighten them down?
thanks for any help

rich seibert
02-13-2006, 03:21 PM
roller rockers arms and all rocker arm must be adjusted correctly as they are installed, i do 1 cylinder at a time , in firing order 18436572
if it is a hyd cam?w/ hyd lifters
do you know for sure what you have?solid or roller? or hyd? or hyd roller?
soilid cams and soild rollers are easier to set valve lash.
i am guessing you you have a hyd if this is the case
remove all spark plug(makes it easier to find tdc)
turn motor over by hand if possible or bump it w/ starter
put the #1 piston at tdc on the compression stroke remove rockers from # 1 only
they should not be compressing the valve spring at this position
install new rockers tighten down the posi-lock w/ one hand (at the same time)
use finger tips to spin push rod til you feel the lifter compress slightly and give it a 1/4 turn and lock it, go through f-order( bring each # cylinder up to tdc)on comp stroke til you have them all done,compare how loose or tight (as you go) they are to stock ones to check yourself,
there is lots of info on this out there (once someone shows you,and you understand how the valvetrains works , its great fun )
i would say get someone to help if you don`t feel comfortable
hope i didn`t confuse you.
having the intake manifold off lets you see whats going on in the valley as well.

sdba069
02-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey Rich........ Good answer, but from what I can tell, I highly recommend having someone with experience do it. Very well could be the difference between a happy camper and why is my motor missing so bad and spitting back out the carb.

455Rocket
02-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Comp Cams (http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Instructions/Files/250.pdf)

SmokinLowriderSS
02-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Agreed rich & sdba. It's not hard to do, it does need to be done methodically, and if you are the least bit uncomfortable, get an experienced buddy to lend you a hand for the 20 min it takes to change them. Rich has a good procedure laid out there.