PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Bearings

hallett72
06-10-2007, 05:08 PM
I inspected my bearings and things looked good, i'll keep an eye on them and replace in a season or two. I went with Stalub Marine grease which is what they had at the local auto parts store. Then i read some threads and some people don't like using Marine grease and had some problems with it. But to the point, I was wondering what kind of preload for the bearings. I hand tightened the nut by hand and then gave it a 1/4 turn to set the bearing then back them off and hand tightened the nut. Does that sound about right? What do you guys do?

spectra 224
06-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Thats what I do. Then after I take the trailer around the block I like to jack the trailer up and wiggle the tire around to make sure there isnt to much play in the bearings

21TUNL
06-10-2007, 08:41 PM
So Im looking at going through all the bearings on this triax trailer. Is there any tech book for the first timer?? Also want to go through the brakes sys.
Job for a newb or take it to the shop???
Any input would be appreciated.
http://www.nloc.net/photopost/data/1982/medium/209-2.jpg

YeLLowBoaT
06-10-2007, 09:08 PM
if you can do a brake job on a car. you can do it on a trailer.
The barrings are pretty ez as well, there are plenty of "how too's" with pics on the web, just do some googling, you will find them.