PDA

View Full Version : strut bushing

howard69
11-14-2001, 05:08 PM
Does anyone know of an easy way to remove strut bushings. I've never done it,or even tried it yet,so before killing myself are there and secrets to it.

superdave013
11-14-2001, 05:13 PM
I take a hacksaw blade and carefully cut the bushing in a few places. Then it comes out real easy.

Stab-n-Steer
11-14-2001, 05:16 PM
I spray a little Liquid wrench on it let it work awile and then use a mandrel that is slightly smaller than the strut I.D. and has a 1" Pilot on it(assuming your shaft is 1"). With that it should tap right out. The mandrel is the key, I made one on my lathe but maybe there are some McGeivers out there that may have a more home grown approach.
Good luck,
Randy

schiada96
11-14-2001, 05:48 PM
Saw'em in half there is two pcs in most struts. Then get some all thread rod and some washers to pull them back in. SD is right again but was he right on the pcv???

Costello
11-16-2001, 01:40 PM
Stab, the McGiver approach.....take a deep socket of the proper diameter to fit inside of the strut and pound them right out, use extension or other sockets as needed. A little lubricant and this approach works just fine, at least on aqua lube type bushings. BTW, has anyone used these "turcit" bushings that Jim Wilkes wrote about a couple of months ago in HB? Just curious as I am replacing bushings on my DiMarco this winter and thought I might try them.
[This message has been edited by Costello (edited November 17, 2001).]