PDA

View Full Version : 1st time on the rope

Ken F
06-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Well guys for it being my first time on the "starting Rope" I gotta say it aint as easy as it looks! LOL Hauled the boat to Creve Couer lake in St.Louis this weekend. Duane Oblander met me up there for technical support thank god!
I was really fighting to keep the boat pointed down the track (by hanging onto the rope), starting the engine, turning on the data acquisition system, setting the divirter in the right hole, ect ect. I was kind of confused the first few times and my holeshots really sucked! My first ET was in the high 11's and I had registered fot the 10 second class.
Also, I had done qrite a lot of changing to the boat since I've last run it, and the set-up was no where near right for the new engine. We didn't even have the right parts with us to get the set-up tuned right. The Engine preformed flawlessly all weekend and never missed a lick! I"m going to have to shave the impeller a bit (gear it lower) to get it up to the peak 6500 rpm. It would only turn 58-5900 this weekend, so I was leaving quite a bit on the table, plus it was hopping coming out of the hole pretty bad, so we've got some set-up to do. The Engine dynoed at 710 hp and 663 ft.lbs. @ 6500 on 93 octane pump gas.
My last run was the best of the weekend. I finally got the holding rope/lights deal figured out, and cut a .02 light, and a 10.87 e.t. @ 96.7
I've got some videos of the runs which we will try and get up tomorrow and post some links to.
Boy, without Duane there if would have been a really sucky weekend, but as it turned out I made 8 passes and improved on each one. In two days he was able to trim over a second off the ET's which is pretty substantial~
Just a word of thanks to Duane for coming. He's clear up to his neck in alligators, trying to get his business moved to Missouri, yet he took time out that he sure could'nt afford to come and help out a friend. Thanks Duane!!
Now I'm really hyped to do some tuning on it and get to OKC next month!!!
Ken F

victorfb
06-10-2007, 10:09 PM
yeehawwwww, sounds like a great day at the track. glad it all worked out for you and got it dialed in. hope to hear alot more as the season goes on. :D

kp216
06-11-2007, 03:38 AM
Congrats on getting the first time jitters over with Ken.
I'm sure that once Duane gets moved down by you, y'all will get it set up right.
Have fun and be safe!

blue wonder
06-11-2007, 09:13 AM
congrats on your first race...a little advice if you would like it...if there is wind on the rope or you are just plain having trouble holding it straight make sure your hands are as far apart as possible...it will help keeping it straight...its kinda like standing with your feet 2 inches apart or 2 feet apart...which is more sturdy????...just a little bit of advice that i have learned from the rope...good luck in your next race...this stuff is addicting isnt it????

Liberator TJ1984
06-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Ken F , glad you had fun !
I only ran mine at 1 race , just too see what it would do ? That darn rope is alot harder to deal with than it looks :mad:
At least I hope you kept the nozzle straight and didn't drown the others on takeoff like I did a couple of times :rolleyes: but they were a bunch of good guys and understood my dillemma :D

Jet Hydro
06-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Glad you had fun Ken , that's what it`s all about right there.
We are getting ready to test our new motor in the jet hydro, you should come up for a cold one or two. :idea: It`s gonna be a wild ride for sure :D

maxwedge
06-11-2007, 02:58 PM
I forgot that was going on this weekend or I would have come down to watch. Sounds like it was a good time though.:D