PDA

View Full Version : Rough first weekend at Big River

Squirtcha?
06-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Well the motorhome made it o.k. I was a bit concerned as it's 20 years old and I just had to replace one of the smog pumps on it (yep it's got two). Cruised 70 mph all the way. Had a belt start slipping and pulled into a truck stop to snug it up. Went the rest of the way no troubles.
First day went great other than the electric window on my truck broke a cable and ended up stuck in the down position. O.k. that sucks but what the hell.
Second day the water was coming up pretty good and I figured I'd let my girlfriend's oldest boy drive some. My plan was to head up river because I knew it better, then after the water came up some run down towards Lost Lake etc. I nixed the first plan because the water was coming up pretty quick and we headed south. He was at the wheel and we were cruising along at 42 mph gps. I noticed some kids standing thigh deep by a jetski on the right side and motioned Harley to steer left and slow down some. I steered him towards the middle and that turned out to be a huge mistake. Like two seconds after that we were sliding/grinding across a bigass'd rock bar. We probably hit it at about 30+ mph. Of course I knew instantly we were in trouble. No other boats around at all. The kids had freed up the ski and headed back north. My pump was full of rocks and I figured bottom damage to boot.
After kicking myself in the ass for a half hour or so, we saw someone headed down river and they were going towards the same rock bar we had just gotten off. I waved him off and he managed to get through unscathed. About a half hour later he was coming back up river (by then the water was running full tilt and everything was plenty deep enough).
He stops and we discuss the alternatives. I already knew there was only one and that was a pull. My hand hole is covered due to a setback pump. I had a rock grate in it and there was no way anybody could get their hand up in the pump to clear it out.
We're like 8-10 friggin miles down stream from Big River and the current is really cooking. The guy hooks us up and pulls us up river. I approximate that he was turning 4500 rpm just to go 5 mph with us in tow. It took a good 2 hours and a whole tank of gas to get us up to the public park at Big River where I knew they had a ramp I could use. The guy drops me off and one of my buds gives me a ride up to the RV park so I can get my truck and trailer. I promise the dude that gave us a pull that I was going to pay him and he tells me where they're staying.
I trailer up the boat grab the kids and my girl and head into the BofA straight away to get some money for this dude and then try to find the RV park he said he was at. No go. I tried following his directions and couldn't find the damned place. I know this guy is cussing me big time right about now and sure would like to find him to repay.
I got nothing to go on (no name, couldn't find the park and I don't think they're regulars at the river). I know this'll sound weird but it's the only thing I can think of..........The guy was wearing a speedo and he's the only person I've ever seen wear one other than on TV or the European beaches. Also rumored to wear a pink thong once in awhile. Okay okay beach attire aside, this odd dude helped me out in a very major way. On the way back up stream we didn't see another boat for 5-6 miles. I could still be there without the pull.
He was driving a 21 or 22 foot stock cruiser type jet mostly white with blue and pink stripes and a gray bimini top. His wife was blonde and they had a kid along with probably around 10 or 11.
Anybody runs into this dude on the river tell him I'll be back.
P.S. I was hoping I could clear the pump and maybe find them on the water somewhere. Turns out my boat's pretty much a mess. Shaved a bunch of glass off the bottom in the center (first point of contact). Rolled the leading edge of my shoe back about a half inch. Mangled the rock grate and I pulled 5 rocks the size of chicken eggs out of my impeller. Leading edges of the imp are all messed up too, also shaved off about half of my skegs on the intake. I'm going to have to strip it and flip it to fix the glass. Here we go again!

MudPumper
06-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Squirt, that totally sucks. At least everybody has all their pieces attached. Boats can be fixed.

jbone
06-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Hey that was my buddy. I always make fun of him and his speedos. You are right, he was cussing you out the whole night.
Send me the $$$ and I'll make sure he gets it.
J:D :D :D

Squirtcha?
06-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Hey that was my buddy. I always make fun of him and his speedos. You are right, he was cussing you out the whole night.
Send me the $$$ and I'll make sure he gets it.
J:D :D :D
Check's in the mail bone.
Squirt, that totally sucks. At least everybody has all their pieces attached. Boats can be fixed.
That's the way I learn most of my lessons. The hard way. You're right of course. Most important nobody got hurt.

OverKill
06-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Holy S**T Dan hell of a first trip. Let me guess you hit just past the hay stacks on the left of the river, or just past the bridge going down river. Also did you go down south before noon. Anyway's sorry to here about your luck that just can not feel good.
Hey look at the bight side, if you don't reglass the bottom you just might get back your 85 mph LOL. Sorry I couldn't resist.
Well let's not wait to long to get started. Maybe I can ask my wife to drop me off at your place this Saturday to give you a hand. Guess I can hand you beers while I watch LOL.

squirt'nmyload
06-10-2007, 09:36 PM
sorry to hear dan. if you need help replacing the window regulator, let me know. :)

79centurion
06-10-2007, 10:03 PM
That sucks Dan. I am in a similar situation as you. I thought the starter on my picklefork had just fallen off on memorial weekend. That wasnt the case. The intake valve on #7 cylinder dropped, destroyed the piston, block, connecting rod, head, and crank. So I have some work ahead of me.
Dan

OverKill
06-10-2007, 10:07 PM
That sucks Dan. I am in a similar situation as you. I thought the starter on my picklefork had just fallen off on memorial weekend. That wasnt the case. The intake valve on #7 cylinder dropped, destroyed the piston, block, connecting rod, head, and crank. So I have some work ahead of me.
Dan
Did you happen to see what rpm you were at when that happened??

pebo
06-10-2007, 10:17 PM
I nixed the first plan because the water was coming up pretty quick and we headed south.
Remember you can beat the flow down to LL. You have to give it awhile. Saw your boat in the upper cove between 2-4 pm. Looked and sounded good.

vee-driven
06-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Now this is what i consider a rough weekend! Oh yah and expensive.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/boat3-1.png

cave
06-11-2007, 04:30 AM
Dan, you got to be the master at flipping that hull. Are you done with the local boating?

Squirtcha?
06-11-2007, 05:13 AM
sorry to hear dan. if you need help replacing the window regulator, let me know. :)
I've actually got two of em out right now. I really like my little Dodge, but those things suck big time. $256 ea. You can't just replace the broken part. You have to buy the whole damned thing even though the motor is fine. Both broke the same way by the cable end coming off. Why couldn't they make em all mechanical with tracks like GM? Should've special ordered it with manual crank type windows like I wanted to.
Holy S**T Dan hell of a first trip. Let me guess you hit just past the hay stacks on the left of the river, or just past the bridge going down river. Also did you go down south before noon. Anyway's sorry to here about your luck that just can not feel good.
Hey look at the bight side, if you don't reglass the bottom you just might get back your 85 mph LOL. Sorry I couldn't resist.
Well let's not wait to long to get started. Maybe I can ask my wife to drop me off at your place this Saturday to give you a hand. Guess I can hand you beers while I watch LOL.
Didn't see no stinkin hay bails. There's a phone line crossing the river with those big orange balls hanging from it. We hit about a half mile south of that.
Actually considering putting some hook back into the bottom in an effort to get my old ride back. Not sure about that yet though.
Remember you can beat the flow down to LL. You have to give it awhile. Saw your boat in the upper cove between 2-4 pm. Looked and sounded good.
Sorry we missed ya Steve. I couldn't remember what your boat looked like. I made up a list of who was on what spot before I left, but forgot it at home. Next time hollar at me or I'll try to catch you on your spot? Funny thing is we only missed the full flow by 20 minutes or so. Still kicking myself that I didn't stick with the first plan (instincts were right, but I chose to ignor).
Dan
Ouch!
Dan, you got to be the master at flipping that hull. Are you done with the local boating?
Not exactly something I'm proud of Jimmy. Not done with local boating. We'll be bringing it back and forth but the MH will stay there. Gotta say though after dropping the coin on a spot and all, the majority of our time will be spent there.

mdunn01
06-11-2007, 07:57 AM
This is why I want to go to Big River with someone very familiar with the river my first visit on June 23rd, i dont want to screw my boat up.

Danhercules
06-11-2007, 08:07 AM
Hey Dan,
Sorry to hear about the troubles. Now that you have an RV, time to start heading down to Martinez. Only sand there. Cant find a rock if you tried. I am really beginnin to like that place.
Hope ya get it fixed soon.

cyclone
06-11-2007, 08:17 AM
that's a damn shame. sorry to hear it.
next time you are there i'll point out a few objects on the arizona shoreline that you can see from camp that will indicate if the water is high enough to head south. we'll be out 4th of july weekend and hopefully you'll be fixed up before then.

79centurion
06-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Did you happen to see what rpm you were at when that happened??
Not really sure. I wasnt really on it when it happened, so maybe 4,000-4,500 rpms. I think the casue was from prior damage though(lean nitrous pass).
Dan

Squirtcha?
06-11-2007, 10:10 AM
that's a damn shame. sorry to hear it.
next time you are there i'll point out a few objects on the arizona shoreline that you can see from camp that will indicate if the water is high enough to head south. we'll be out 4th of july weekend and hopefully you'll be fixed up before then.
That'd be great Mike. Definitely not looking to repeat this one.
The boat is messed up some, but all repairable and mostly work (not a lot of cash). I'll know more when I can get a light up in the intake tonight after work.
We'll definitely be back for the 4th one way or the other.

jetovatorjeff
06-11-2007, 05:05 PM
wait for those water pipes to cover up across the river and always stay way left when you get past the turn after the houses.

Squirtcha?
06-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Pulled the rock grate, shoe, rideplate out tonight. Got one small knick in the impeller and the shoe was way mangled. I took the grinder to it and although it's a bit shorter now, it's cleaned up and still fits o.k.
Interior is pulled, fuel tanks are drained, electrical disconnected, battery out, driveline undone. Basically just need to take the mounts loose and pull her out.
I tipped the trailer forward so I could get at the grate, shoe etc. and water started running out from the damaged area (from inside the boat). Looks like it's got a at least a couple spots where it's all the way through.
Thanks for the tips. Albeit a little late, it'll help once I get back out there again.

tx-19
06-11-2007, 07:29 PM
squirtcha,sorry to here about that.let me know if u need any help.

OverKill
06-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Dan
Think you might be working on this thing Saturday?? I will be at Phill Bergeron's tommorow and will pick some things up for you if you need. Let me know, I have to get out of this house. Besides I hear your getting low on Mic Ultra ;) :) :)

bakerjet
06-11-2007, 10:32 PM
well looks like you were low on aiming fluid j/k that sux.:mad:
bust loose for a tunnel,you know you want to.?

Squirtcha?
06-12-2007, 06:06 AM
well looks like you were low on aiming fluid j/k that sux.:mad:
bust loose for a tunnel,you know you want to.?
Honestly I'll be looking for another hull here in the next year or two. This one is gonna have to last that long. I would probably lean more towards the gullwing than a tunnel just because they have more room in them and whatever I get has to be o.k. to pull skiers with. I don't see many tunnelhulls pulling skiers and I have to think there's a reason for that? Hoping that the gullwing would lend itself better to that, although you don't see many people skiing behind them either.
Dan
Think you might be working on this thing Saturday?? Let me know, I have to get out of this house.
I'll definitely be working on it this weekend. I don't need anything other than some resin and I'll be picking that up today.
squirtcha,sorry to here about that.let me know if u need any help.
Thanks Joey.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/fiberglass1.jpg
Fiberglass job. I was hoping I could do it while on the trailer. I think once I grind all the
dead/bashed/frayed glass off, it's gonna be a pretty good sized hole. Over she goes.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/skegs.jpg
Messed up skegs. Already did a little grinding/shaping on them, but it needs some more work.
I'll wait til they're more accessible.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/impeller.jpg
Lotsa dings, but only one little chip missing.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/shoe.jpg
Shoe cleaned up o.k. considering it looked like someone beat hell out of it with a hammer. Like I said, the first 1/2" or so was completely wasted. She's a little shorter now, but my boat wasn't riding like it used to anyway and I doubt it'll hurt anything.

pebo
06-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Sorry we missed ya Steve. I couldn't remember what your boat looked like. I made up a list of who was on what spot before I left, but forgot it at home. Next time hollar at me or I'll try to catch you on your spot? Funny thing is we only missed the full flow by 20 minutes or so. Still kicking myself that I didn't stick with the first plan (instincts were right, but I chose to ignor).
I was driving the Flattie' past weekend. We were across from you in the upper cove. We will be out the weekend of the 4th. I will have to swing by your camp sometime.

pebo
06-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Dan, This one::::::::::::
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/100_0435.jpg

Squirtcha?
06-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Oh man! That was you? I was admiring your boat and almost stopped by once when walking around the park.
I pulled the motor tonight and I'll do the bottom repairs this weekend. We'll be there for the 4th for sure.
I want to get a close up view of the flattie if you're bringing it. That thing sounded great.

MikeF
06-12-2007, 08:36 PM
I hate it when that happens.:jawdrop:
Sounds like you're on it!

HokeySon
06-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Now Dan, I distinctly remember telling you about that rockbar when you came out to Big River for the first time about 5 or 6 years ago to pick up those DOVE heads from me. You shoulda paid better attention. JK of course. SOrry to hear of the troubles.
Haven't been out there since 2003. Bought a place south of blythe, but I honestly miss Big River.
Take care Charlie.

Squirtcha?
06-13-2007, 04:51 AM
Wow, blast from the past. How ya been Charlie? Yeah that was 6 years ago I believe. That trip is probably the one that got me started on BR. I really liked it that day and my boy had a blast.
Funny though..................I don't recall the warning about the rock bar :D

Danhercules
06-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Funny though..................I don't recall the warning about the rock bar :D
HEY DAN!!! There is a rock bar down there!
sorry, I had to. :D

Xerophobic
09-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey Dan sorry to hear about this and obviously I missed the origional thread, it was too close to the worlds I guess.
Anyway Im sure you're back in the water and hopefully the event is behind you now but I do see an alloy hull in your future buddy!
There is a very good chance you would have driven away from this event needing nothing more than a change of pants.
Also the other thing we learn quick when tin boating is when you get nervous your foot MUST go to the floor. Its unatural yes but you just have to learn that to keep the boat up and using minimal water. Hesitation or being only "half" on plane is ALWAYS bad.
The only other tip I can offer is when towing use a relatively short line, put EVERYone in the tow boat and get the boat being towed up on plane(short line helps here as the jetwash lifts the 2nd boat) you will use WAY less fuel and obviously make better time. Of course due to boat size etc thats not always possible
Glad you made it back, did you ever locate this guy?
Cheers
What do you consider shallow?
http://outlaweagle.com/cmpTomcatShoal1.wmv
:O:O:O:O