PDA

View Full Version : My dog was almost killed

78Eliminator
06-12-2007, 09:40 AM
My girlfriend was walking the dogs last night (we have two chihuahuas) when an unleashed dog ran from his yard and grabbed the female "Penny" by her neck and tried to kill her like dogs do to rabbits by shaking them violently. Eventually the owners came and pulled the dog away and got him to release Penny. She had three large lacerations on her chest right below her neck. She was drenched in blood. We rushed her to the ER and the doctor said he couldn't operate immediately because she was in shock and we had also just fed her an hour earlier. Lucky for us her lungs were not punctured and no major arteries were bit.
So the doctor bandaged her up and put her on an IV for about an hour then sent her home with some pain medicine. I didn't sleep all night because she was screaming in pain about once every 10 minutes and wincing in between the screaming. This morning we took her back to be operated on. The dog that got her is a little larger than a german shepard but is solid white so you can imagine the damage to a 9 lb dog like Penny.
Anyways, she is being operated on right now to stitch her muscle tissue and skin back together. She has to be on an IV for two days so that means she stays over night tonight at the hospital. I already really miss my dog. I am just glad she was not killed. At the same time I am really upset at my neighbor. Why he would leave his dog in his front yard, unleashed is beyond me......especially if his dog is violent.
So we get to pick her up tomorrow at 6PM. Here is a picture of her as we left her this morning in pre-op.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0612070842.jpg

DesertGirl
06-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Poor thing. I hope she heals quickly!

Mrs. Bordsmnj
06-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Same thing happened to one of our dogs a few years back. We were devasted but she recovered and is going on 13 yrs old now!!
Hope your little one heals quickly!! :)

78Eliminator
06-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Same thing happened to one of our dogs a few years back. We were devasted but she recovered and is going on 13 yrs old now!!
Hope your little one heals quickly!! :)
Hearing that makes me feel a lot better. Thank you.

All-Star
06-12-2007, 09:53 AM
The little dog was attacked by an Owl two weeks ago. I guess she was heavier then she looked. When I fainally got to her, She was drenched in blood. I was so scared. But the vet said that she will be totally fine. But still to this day she is so jumpy. Her nerves are just fried.
So I totally feel for you.
I wish your puppy a speedy recovery.

KineticoH20
06-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Sorry to hear that, the same thing happened to my wife walking our dog. Two pit bulls broke through a window and tore him up pretty good, thank god he survived. Hope yours is ok, looks like the vet has him squared away pretty good.

Steamin' Rice
06-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Hope your dog recovers - It's really frustrating to me when dog owners let their dog off leash - There have been a few times when I have been walking my dog, and a dog that's off the leash comes running up with the owner nowhere to be found. Most of the time they just want to play, but sometimes you can't tell, and a dog that is on a leash can get agressive when an off leash dog comes running up to it.

OC28HEAT
06-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Make sure the owners of the dog pay the bill. My Friends mom was on the news thed other night because she was attatcked by two Pit Bulls and her dog killed.
Responscible pet ownership is important.

78Eliminator
06-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Make sure the owners of the dog pay the bill. My Friends mom was on the news thed other night because she was attatcked by two Pit Bulls and her dog killed.
Responscible pet ownership is important.
You know it. The bill is already at $2,000 and I don't pick her up until tomorrow.

Eliminator 4 Life
06-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Sorry to hear about Penny. I pray for a speedy recovery and that she will be okay.

YeLLowBoaT
06-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Also makes sure you file a report with animal control, it might not be the 1st time the dog has done something like this.

photo chick
06-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Poor Penny....the look on her face must just yank at your heart....I hope she heels quickly!!

zudnic
06-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Un-leashed, no fenced yard, dogs bugs me. I have three Rottweilers, they are trained and they are never outside alone. In fact for potty breaks even in my yard they are leashed, and, taken out seperate. In public area's, I only bring one if I'm alone and they are kept leashed. When off leash, they are in area's that are secured and kept under control at all times. I respect my dogs as powerfull animals, the latter means they can never be fully trusted. I do every thing possible to prevent my dogs from doing something like this even by accident.
Sorry your dog was the victim of bad ownership.

Mrs.HLB
06-12-2007, 10:18 AM
That is very scary .. I hope your dog heals quickly. That is the very reason I try not to walk my dog alone. There is always a dog loose. It sucks. I walk my neighborhood to see if there is any loose dogs and then I may take her if I feel it is safe for a walk with my pepper spray or make my hubby come with me.
Mrs.HLB

Jyruiz
06-12-2007, 10:19 AM
That sucks, hope your dog recovers quick. I think if I ever get a small dog, or any dog, I will carry a taser when walking the dog.

Angry Inch
06-12-2007, 10:23 AM
If I was capable of crying...I might of shed a tear. :( that sucks...My dog is my life. I rescued him; but, in reality, he rescued me.

riverbound
06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Un-leashed, no fenced yard, dogs bugs me. I have three Rottweilers, they are trained and they are never outside alone. In fact for potty breaks even in my yard they are leashed, and, taken out seperate. In public area's, I only bring one if I'm alone and they are kept leashed. When off leash, they are in area's that are secured and kept under control at all times. I respect my dogs as powerfull animals, the latter means they can never be fully trusted. I do every thing possible to prevent my dogs from doing something like this even by accident.
Sorry your dog was the victim of bad ownership.
I was the same way with mine... I had 2 females 120+lbs. they were one of the most friendly dogs I have ever had. but I always kept them on a leash when they were out front (just in case) Lost one a couple months ago to cancer and the other one is too old to do any attacking I let her walk around out front occasionaly with no leash, but there is still always someone close in case she decides to act up.
As with ANY breed responsible pet ownership is key.

RiverDave
06-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Sorry to hear it Justin... :(
RD

Devilman
06-12-2007, 10:30 AM
That sucks, hope your dog recovers quick. I think if I ever get a small dog, or any dog, I will carry a taser when walking the dog.
LOL, a Taser...... Damn.... :220v: :D

Slow What
06-12-2007, 10:32 AM
My Pops had the same thing happen with one of thier dogs , It always seems to be the little dogs getting attacked .
Pops dog recovered fully and lived to be 16 and the guy that owned the other dog had to pay the medical bills , I don't know if that's the case all the time , but worth looking into , Vet bills are $$$$$$
Hope your Dog recovers Quickly

Angry Inch
06-12-2007, 10:34 AM
More like a .22 :D

UltraStealth
06-12-2007, 10:37 AM
I just had a similar situation with our white german shepard. Our dog was in the backyard and the neighbor had there dog off the leash in their front yard. The dog ran accross the street up our side hill and the two started going at it. Our GS is really protective of his yard, especially when the kids are around or in the house. We heard the fight start and ran to the other side where the dogs were fighting. As we called our dog off, the other dog bit him through the gate and tore his lip up. The F'in neighbors couldn't control the dog. So after 1K our dog has a helmet on for 12 days. What if that was my son that got bit through the gate? I told the neighbors that if it happens again they are not gonna like the outcome.

photo chick
06-12-2007, 10:38 AM
My Beagle got bit by a rattlesnake....my husband was so mad he first chopped the head off of it then proceeded to skin it and now the skin is hanging in our garage! Bo ended up needing two vials of anti venom and three days in the hospital but he's fine now....unlike the snake!
No I'm not suggesting you skin the dog!!! :D

R.A.D.man
06-12-2007, 10:49 AM
My cousins baby Boston Terrier was attacked by an unleashed dog at the lake house. She's fine because my sisters big headed pit bull took the attacking dog down and pinned it causing him to release the little dog when the tables were turned. It was a very fast and kind heroic on her behalf. The little terrier had a rough night coughing, wheezing etc., but has recovered fully since. I hope yours does too.

little rowe boat
06-12-2007, 12:53 PM
So, have you spoken to the neighbor about the vet bills yet?? If so, what did they say??

syke-o
06-12-2007, 01:00 PM
sorry about your little dog.. .btw - what kind of dog grabbed your little one???

Rexone
06-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I hope your little guy recovers. :(
I'd definately take it to the neighbor with the vet bill. If he balks, small claims court it is. Take lots of pics and keep receipts.
I'd also report it to animal control particularly if the owner continues to have it out unleashed. Some people should just not have dogs.
I carry a tball bat when I walk my dogs. Have only had to use it on a couple occasions. Considering a taser though. I have a little guy too that would quickly be overwhelmed if attacked by a large dog and I happened to miss my mark with the bat. Not too many strays in my area but all it takes is one aggressive one.

Quest4Fun
06-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Poor little pup...hope she recovers fully. The owner of the runaway dog should pay for the Vet bills. I have seen this on the Judge Judy type court shows several times and they always rule in favor of the injured party, especially when the attacking dog is off-leash.

Tremor Therapy
06-12-2007, 01:13 PM
I hate irresponsible pet owners! My wife and I were walking our malamute and he was attacked by a wayward Rott. He gave as good as he got, but it took me a couple of minutes to get them seperated, that and about $1000 in vet bills.
I have never seen that dog again, but my wife and I now walk the dog with either a 9 iron or our 7 foot manzanita walking stick. Unfortunately I have had to use both more than once....when will people learn!:mad:

Miss Perfect
06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
That is scary stuff. I wish Penny a speedy recovery.

mrs.rvrluvr
06-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Poor baby....she is adorable....hope she is better soon.

yopengo
06-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I hope your little guy recovers. :(
I'd definately take it to the neighbor with the vet bill. If he balks, small claims court it is. Take lots of pics and keep receipts.
I'd also report it to animal control particularly if the owner continues to have it out unleashed. Some people should just not have dogs.
I carry a tball bat when I walk my dogs. Have only had to use it on a couple occasions. Considering a taser though. I have a little guy too that would quickly be overwhelmed if attacked by a large dog and I happened to miss my mark with the bat. Not too many strays in my area but all it takes is one aggressive one.
Same thing happened to my daughter and my dog. Report it as Rex said, the county will keep track of this stuff. Document everything. In our case, the owner of the other dog paid everything.
WARNING:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32781&stc=1&d=1181684019

78Eliminator
06-12-2007, 01:36 PM
So, have you spoken to the neighbor about the vet bills yet?? If so, what did they say??
Not yet. I am waiting until I get her back from the hospital. So far the bill is around $3,000 after the last phone call with the vet.

78Eliminator
06-12-2007, 01:36 PM
sorry about your little dog.. .btw - what kind of dog grabbed your little one???
Not sure. It was a large white dog with the build of a german shepard.

RiverDave
06-12-2007, 01:42 PM
What racked up a 3000 dollar bill so fast?
Incidentally Justin, the dog your describing kinda sounds like a Semoan (sp?) to me?
RD

ratso
06-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Incidentally Justin, the dog your describing kinda sounds like a Semoan (sp?) to me?
RD
We're in the wrong business...

78Eliminator
06-12-2007, 01:49 PM
RD
The first visit was an emergency room deal last night which was $700. In addition to last night, the estimate for her surgery today including two days under observation (she is spending the night there tonight) with an IV is $1800. Because of the depth of her injuries they have to cut out all the tissue that the dogs teeth touched to avoid infection and also sew up some muscle tissue. She has three very large lacerations and the rest is cuts and bruises.
Yeah, the bill is pretty hefty, but I don't plan on being stuck with it.
RD, this is the dog you were talking about. The dog that attacked mine is a little taller than the one in the picture, has shorter hair, blue eyes and its head looks more like a german shepard. But it is very similar and just might not be a full breed. You know your dogs Dave!
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images17/SamoyedHolly3YearsOld.JPG

yopengo
06-12-2007, 01:59 PM
The first visit was an emergency room deal last night which was $700. In addition to last night, the estimate for her surgery today including two days under observation (she is spending the night there tonight) with an IV is $1800. Because of the depth of her injuries they have to cut out all the tissue that the dogs teeth touched to avoid infection and also sew up some muscle tissue. She has three very large lacerations and the rest is cuts and bruises.
Yeah, the bill is pretty hefty, but I don't plan on being stuck with it.
That sounds about right. My daughter also got bit and that was an additional grand. My insurance covered her but we put the $ is her college fund :D
Hope you puppy gets well soon.
Lucky I did not find the dog (daughter would not tell me location at first). I would have ended up in jail. Focken irresponsible dog owners. :mad:

INSman
06-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Down right "negligent" and it bears repeating that some people should just not be allowed to own a dog. Small Claims court could be the way to go, and although I am not a big fan of "suing", I probably would see if a Police report or similar could be filed and sue him via his homeowners policy.
Ignorance need not be tolerated, period !! :mad:

78Eliminator
06-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Well, she made it back.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCN7748.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCN7747.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCN7749.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCN7750.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCN7751.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCN7752.JPG

RiverDave
06-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Down right "negligent" and it bears repeating that some people should just not be allowed to own a dog. Small Claims court could be the way to go, and although I am not a big fan of "suing", I probably would see if a Police report or similar could be filed and sue him via his homeowners policy.
Ignorance need not be tolerated, period !! :mad:
I don't think he should sue anybody... I just think the other guy should pay it. Honestly this could've happened to anybody that owns a large dog. Everybodies dog gets out sooner or later. The question is, was the dog out on it's own kind of a rare occurence? Or is the guy being neglegent? We don't know.. So why try to be a jury?
I'm a pretty responsible pet owner (atleast I like to think I am) but I'm not going to lie.. My dog has gotten out before (jumped the fence) when I wasn't home. Granted it's only happened a few times in 7 or 8 years, but it has happened. Damn near any dog owner has had it happen to them.
The owner of the attacking dog should definately pay the bill though.. No matter what.
RD

RiverDave
06-13-2007, 03:57 PM
double post...
by the way, that sucks that happened to your dog Justin.. :( :(
On the semoan thing, lots of people get their hair cut in the summer time becuase of the heat? The blue eyes make it sound like a husky mix to me though..
RD

Phat Matt
06-13-2007, 03:57 PM
It looks like the Dr forgot his straw in your dog. :eek: j/k
I hope your dogs makes a full recovery. :)

78Eliminator
06-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Yeah RD. What I am going to do is go talk to the owner tomorrow when I get all my bills totaled up and ask him to pay the doctor bills. If he is a reasonable man, he will pay them. If not, I will just have to settle the deal in court, which I am also happy to do. I am not even going to ask the guy for pain and suffering, time off work to drive my dog to and from the vet(she has been to the vet for three visits because I refuse to let her stay the night in a steel cage all alone), and the fact that I have not slept for more than 4 hours the past two nights because my dog is laying next to me whimpering and every time she makes a peep I make sure she's ok.......

Quest4Fun
06-13-2007, 04:12 PM
OMG 78E - :eek: Those pics are heart wrenching. I can't imagine the pain she must be in. And I feel for what you must be going through. Hang in there!

Quest4Fun
06-13-2007, 04:18 PM
OMG 78E - :eek: Those pics are heart wrenching. I can't imagine the pain she must be in. And I feel for what you must be going through. Hang in there!

buzzaro
06-13-2007, 04:20 PM
I had a neighbor down the street that would leave a part pit off leash in the front yard, it would terrorize the neighborhood. So i kept a 2x4 in the garage that was pretty handy. Theres still a blood trail in the street back to his doorstep........

Tom Brown
06-13-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm sorry about your dog, 78E. Both you and your dog have my best wishes.

angry dad
06-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Sorry for your dog!!
my dog (chalupa) looks just like yours!!

repo man
06-13-2007, 06:10 PM
i was walking my 135lb bandog about a month ago when a German Shepard charged us from the other side of the the street. needless to say it was a very one sided fight. the neighbor said i should've let my dog kill the bastard. i guess he did this all the time. the owner wanted my info to pay the his vet bills because i did nothing to stop the fight until they came out.
i don't break up dog fights alone any more because it's too dangerous.

H20Advantage
06-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Last week here in Tustin we had two loose pitbulls attack a 75 year old ladies poodle she was holding when she walked out the front door of her house. The pits ripped the head off the poodle, killing it, and she took a few bites to the hand.
One pit was caught fairly quick but the second was tazed. The tazed dog dropped, chit itself and when the electricity stopped it jumped up and ran breaking the tazer leads.
It was seen and caught in the afternoon after animal control shot it with a tranquilizer gun and then officers shot it with kinetic munitions until the tranquilizers took effect.
Not sure if an owner has been found yet.

Eliminator 4 Life
06-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Whats the update on the dog.

78Eliminator
06-14-2007, 08:52 PM
She's back now and seems to be doing a lot better. She's already bossing the cat around again, which is a good sign. Just spent an hour cleaning all her drain tubes with cotton balls. I wonder what goes through the mind of a dog when something like this happens? Does she understand what happened?
I talked to the neighbor and he seems ok. Yeah, there was some shock at the bill but he said he would call his homeowners insurance and let me know what's going on. I am sure he will pay the bill.
Like I said, I am just damn glad my dog lived and she's ok. I know his dog is just a dog, and for all i know it could have been me with the big dog and somebody else's chihuahua walks by and I am the one who ends up with the bill. I just think it's fair that he pay the bill. Just like if you are rear ended, it is pretty obvious who's at fault. I sort of live by personal policy which includes the "no personal law suits" clause as part of it.......unless somebody really really is asking for it. I just can't stand to participate in that sort of thing. I work for the justice system and I just try and avoid being a part of it like the plague.
But she is actually acing like she's a dog again, and a ton of weight is off me now. Thanks for all the support.

YeLLowBoaT
06-14-2007, 08:55 PM
hes going to use his home owners INS for this? can you say canceled next at the end of his term...

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-14-2007, 09:00 PM
She's back now and seems to be doing a lot better. She's already bossing the cat around again, which is a good sign. Just spent an hour cleaning all her drain tubes with cotton balls. I wonder what goes through the mind of a dog when something like this happens? Does she understand what happened?
I talked to the neighbor and he seems ok. Yeah, there was some shock at the bill but he said he would call his homeowners insurance and let me know what's going on. I am sure he will pay the bill.
Like I said, I am just damn glad my dog lived and she's ok. I know his dog is just a dog, and for all i know it could have been me with the big dog and somebody else's chihuahua walks by and I am the one who ends up with the bill. I just think it's fair that he pay the bill. Just like if you are rear ended, it is pretty obvious who's at fault. I sort of live by personal policy which includes the "no personal law suits" clause as part of it.......unless somebody really really is asking for it. I just can't stand to participate in that sort of thing. I work for the justice system and I just try and avoid being a part of it like the plague.
But she is actually acing like she's a dog again, and a ton of weight is off me now. Thanks for all the support.
:) That's good news. I am glad she is o.k.. She will be right back to herself in time. :)

Baja Big Dog
06-14-2007, 09:10 PM
I don't think he should sue anybody... I just think the other guy should pay it. Honestly this could've happened to anybody that owns a large dog. Everybodies dog gets out sooner or later. The question is, was the dog out on it's own kind of a rare occurence? Or is the guy being neglegent? We don't know.. So why try to be a jury?
I'm a pretty responsible pet owner (atleast I like to think I am) but I'm not going to lie.. My dog has gotten out before (jumped the fence) when I wasn't home. Granted it's only happened a few times in 7 or 8 years, but it has happened. Damn near any dog owner has had it happen to them.
The owner of the attacking dog should definately pay the bill though.. No matter what.
RD
IM sorry, thought we were on the Hot Boats forum!!!
Remember the Rod Bernsten story a couple of days ago....:mad:

Eliminator 4 Life
06-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Im glad to hear she is getting back to her old self. Sometimes I wonder what my dog thinks to. It would be nice to know what goes through there minds.

sponger_2
06-15-2007, 10:39 PM
dogs choke out easily, just get the dog in a sleeper and it will die quickly. for any future altercations.

Beer-30
06-16-2007, 05:54 AM
In the future, when walking small dogs like that, carry a plastic squirt gun full of Ammonia. You can even dilute it up to 50% if you wish. Get the clear guns so people don't freak out. Some of the water pistols these days look just as real as actual weapons. Anyway, a squirt or two at the head of an attacking dog stops them in their tracks. No harm. Pepper spray works good too, but the mist can get on you or your dogs and everyone will be crying instead of just the attacker.

78Eliminator
06-20-2007, 01:18 PM
In the future, when walking small dogs like that, carry a plastic squirt gun full of Ammonia. You can even dilute it up to 50% if you wish. Get the clear guns so people don't freak out. Some of the water pistols these days look just as real as actual weapons. Anyway, a squirt or two at the head of an attacking dog stops them in their tracks. No harm. Pepper spray works good too, but the mist can get on you or your dogs and everyone will be crying instead of just the attacker.
That is a damn good idea.
By the way, here is an update. Still not back to 100% and sleeping a lot, but she is finally feeling better and you can see it in her attitude.
Note the blue soft cone she has. You can get these instead of the hard plastic cones. The plastic ones are kind of miserable for the dog making it hard for them to eat, drink and just walk around the house. These new soft ones seem to work out a lot better.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCF0034.JPG

R.A.D.man
06-20-2007, 02:17 PM
hes going to use his home owners INS for this? can you say canceled next at the end of his term...
Maybe not, I used mine when my dog hurt a Dodge truck to the tune of $1500.00. I was renewed with a normal increase in cost. Maybe it's different that it was just a Dodge:D
Glad to see the dog is doing better here.

Fast Freddy
06-20-2007, 06:10 PM
so sad. that just breaks my heart. i said a prayer for your dog

78Eliminator
06-20-2007, 07:18 PM
thanks for the kind words. yeah i talked to the neighbor today and he said he was going to pay me out of pocket because all his friends told him to not report it under any circumstances. oh well. in my opinion, that's why you have homeowners insurance......but i guess it's his business. i'm glad he stepped up like a real man and agreed to pay the vet bill that's for damn sure.