PDA

View Full Version : SFO doesn't want the Blue Angels

JB in so cal
06-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Fawk them. Gay butt sex has killed thousandsfrom their fair city, but the Blues are dangerous:devil: ???
San Francisco Lawmaker Wants Blue Angels Grounded During Fleet Week
Tue, 12 Jun '07
Critics Include Anti-War Groups Who Cite Safety, Pro-Military Message
What would San Francisco's annual Fleet Week be, without a performance by the US Navy Blue Angels aerial demonostration team? A city official wants to find out.
The San Francisco Examiner reports Supervisor Chris Daly, with help from such groups as CodePink, Global Exchange and Veterans For Peace, is pushing for a Board of Supervisors resolution to ground the annual performance, calling it "dangerous and unnecessary."
Perhaps not surprisingly, critics of the performances point to the April crash of a Blue Angels performer at an air show in Beaufort, SC as "proof" the shows are dangerous. Paul Cox, a Vietnam veteran and member of Veterans for Peace, says the slightest miscalculation or mechanical problem could cause a plane to "go barreling into the Golden Gate Bridge or a high-rise and cause a significant amount of damage."
Cox, along with other members of the group, is also opposed to the pro-military theme of the show, and the fact the Blue Angels are a recruiting tool for the Navy. He also says the performances cause "noise pollution."
CodePink, a women-for-peace group, has started an online petition calling for city leaders to end the flyovers, citing concerns with public safety, pollution and fuel usage. The Examiner reports as of last week, about 500 people had signed the petition.
Despite those points and protests, the Blue Angels performances are a popular draw at Fleet Week and the 34 other locations the Blues have scheduled throughout the US this year alone. In 2006, more than 15 million spectators watched the team perform, including well over one million in the Bay Area alone.
Edward Leonard, chairman of the San Francisco Fleet Week Committee, notes in 2004 -- when the Blue Angels did not make an appearance -- attendance to the weeklong Fleet Week event dropped by more than 50 percent.
"We think it's safe," said Leonard, on questions about the safety of the Blue Angels performances. Leonard notes the Blues must receive approval from the FAA prior to each performance, and the more complex maneuvers are conducted over Bay waters.
Plus, he adds, "commercial airlines fly over the city all the time."
Daly's resolution calling for an end to Blue Angels performances over The City By The Bay may be introduced this week. The non-binding document wouldn't carry any legal weight, but it would present the Board's view on the issue -- and "We can then take the next steps we have to legally stop them," Daly told the Examiner.

Desert Rat
06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
I say for a first let the Blues drop bombs during their show! Friggin pickle puffers!:mad: :mad:

racecar.hotshoe
06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
And butt slamming your buddy at the bus stop is ok.....:mad: :D

DMOORE
06-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I personally think the US Navy should pull the entire fleet week in SF. Plenty of other cities would line up for the chance.
Darrell.

JB in so cal
06-12-2007, 11:49 AM
I remember a couple years ago when the navy was looking for a home for the last Iowa class battleship, these same council pukes told them no. "War stuff is so, I don't know...yucky" :D

CARLSON-JET
06-12-2007, 11:49 AM
I personally think the US Navy should pull the entire fleet week in SF. Plenty of other cities would line up for the chance.
Darrell.
Good call... the last thing they nead From S.F is more seamen... :devil:

driverno8
06-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Since when does being gay mean you can't be patriotic. What a bunch of idots.

CARLSON-JET
06-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Since when does being gay mean you can't be patriotic. What a bunch of idots.
I resent being associated with The Illinois Department of Transportation Services.

SB
06-12-2007, 12:20 PM
That's a riot. Pollution and fuel usage?
On a related note, we used to have lots of military presence such as soldiers, fighter planes, etc. at football games and other events in the 1950s.
It dwindled in the 70s and 80s, now it appears to be making a resurgence, glorifying the military. Good or bad?

Rexone
06-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Perhaps the US should pull all Military, Coast Guard included, Homeland Security and FBI presense in SF and grant SF the independent soverenty the city government obviously desires.

HBjet
06-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I guess they should ban weather systems from flying over too!
Never know when you will be hit by lightning :eek:

eliminatedsprinter
06-12-2007, 01:24 PM
I remember a couple years ago when the navy was looking for a home for the last Iowa class battleship, these same council pukes told them no. "War stuff is so, I don't know...yucky" :D
Yep I remember that. Plus they don't want ROTC or military recruting in their H.S.s either....

eliminatedsprinter
06-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Perhaps the US should pull all Military, Coast Guard included, Homeland Security and FBI presense in SF and grant SF the independent soverenty the city government obvioulsy desires.
Exactly.

Rexone
06-12-2007, 05:01 PM
I wonder if they'd tell the military to get the f out if they were attacked by terrorists in SF :idea:
No they'ed be whining like little bitches at Bush for not sending in the Guard and FEMA fast enough (not that it might not be deserved in most cases).
But f the Blue Angels and any other form of military museum or presense of strength or reverence to same (that made them all free to be tree hugging whiners). :rolleyes:
Without the military they seem to despise, SF would be Little Tokyo about 60 years ago along with the rest the country that wasn't speaking German. How quick they forget.
;)

Dribble
06-12-2007, 05:24 PM
What a bunch of fags.

Riomouse911
06-12-2007, 05:29 PM
I grew up in Berkeley, and remember all the hoopla from these types about military this and army that. Some folks forget that men and women sacrificed and shed blood which allows them the right and freedom to say what they want without fear of being imprisoned or shot. Unfortunately it occasionally needs to be done even today to keep us free.
While I am the first to say the current war in Iraq was an inevitable train wreck and mistake from conception to implementation, I strongly salute all who served in the past, and who still serve today. Heck, I get teary-eyed at video from Normandy, I can't imagine what I'll feel when I actually walk the sands myself.
The whole City of SF is such a mess, this should be that last thing anyone is debating. The assclown who put this in the paper is clearly desperate to put his name out there for recognition, because he is empty of ideas that'll actually benefit someone. The Navy should take their cash elsewhere, and let more of SF become vacant.

billet racing 1
06-12-2007, 06:00 PM
And fuel tankers explode, taking down bridges. How about we ban fuel into the City. that should keep em all there in thier happy little homes.
More people die on the streets every day there. Not one death attributed to Fleet Week. And it is a huge draw. I'm sure the hotels and store owners are all for it. NOT!
Jerry

SummitKarl
06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
damn pickle sniffers........:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/picklesniffer.jpg