PDA

View Full Version : Bullhead City/Laughlin in July

Cole Sanger
06-12-2007, 02:35 PM
I am looking to go up to Bullhead City the weekend after 4th of July. I have never been there before. I am a little nervous about taking my boat somewhere I have never been before. It is 27ft long and has a deep hull. We are looking at launching at Kathrines Landing. Can someone put my mind at ease that has been there before? Maybe someone lives there that can give me a little peace of mind. I just want to make sure that the lake is deep enough (I am sure it is, but I don't know about the narrower areas I see on the maps). Is there anything I should look out for? Any help would be great. Thanks.

ULTRA26 # 1
06-12-2007, 02:41 PM
I am looking to go up to Bullhead City the weekend after 4th of July. I have never been there before. I am a little nervous about taking my boat somewhere I have never been before. It is 27ft long and has a deep hull. We are looking at launching at Kathrines Landing. Can someone put my mind at ease that has been there before? Maybe someone lives there that can give me a little peace of mind. I just want to make sure that the lake is deep enough (I am sure it is, but I don't know about the narrower areas I see on the maps). Is there anything I should look out for? Any help would be great. Thanks.
You won't have any problems launching at Kathrines Landing. Plenty of water. Lake Mohave is a good size deep lake. Kathrines Landing, is nice facility more than enough water for a 27 deep V.
John M
PS Kathrines Landing is generally crouded so be prepared for a line

Desert Rat
06-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Water will be deep enough on the lake BUT Katherines is a FRIGGIN ZOO on the 4th. Good luck!!

pw_Tony
06-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Lake Mohave will be fine for you. They have all the semi shallow areas marked with markers. But Katherines landing can be packed sometimes. If you buy all your gas and ice and drinks and such before hand you can go a 1/2 miles north and go to Telephone cove, but tha might not be deep enough, it's a dirt launch ramp. But if you go to Princess cover a few miles north of Katherine's they have a nice, deep concrete launch pad, and usually it's never busy there at all. And if you go to the river, you have to watch out for all the shallow areas.

Cole Sanger
06-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys, that makes me feel better.

455Rocket
06-12-2007, 04:00 PM
But if you go to Princess cover a few miles north of Katherine's they have a nice, deep concrete launch pad, and usually it's never busy there at all.
How do you get to Princess? Do you keep on the highway, or take that road to the right before the paybooth at Katherine's? I assume they honor the season pass?

pw_Tony
06-12-2007, 04:17 PM
How do you get to Princess? Do you keep on the highway, or take that road to the right before the paybooth at Katherine's? I assume they honor the season pass?
You go past the toll booth, and then a right lane appears and you turn right on it. You go about half a mile, just past telephone cove, and you turn right onto a dirt road. There should be a brown sign that says Princess cove. The dirt road is a mile or two long, but once you get there it's an all ashpahul parking lot with a big ramp for any deep boat. And there's a dock for loading your stuff. Much much much less busy than Katherine's. Last time I went to Princess there was only two trucks with trailers there, but it should be busyer now.

455Rocket
06-12-2007, 05:01 PM
You go past the toll booth, and then a right lane appears and you turn right on it. You go about half a mile, just past telephone cove, and you turn right onto a dirt road. There should be a brown sign that says Princess cove. The dirt road is a mile or two long, but once you get there it's an all ashpahul parking lot with a big ramp for any deep boat. And there's a dock for loading your stuff. Much much much less busy than Katherine's. Last time I went to Princess there was only two trucks with trailers there, but it should be busyer now.
Beautiful! Thanks man.

mdunn01
06-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Best bet for you is this:
1.Get a Room at the Ramada Express in Laughlin, cheapest and best rates. Plus they wont ask for 3 day stay that weekend. I spent $175 for Friday and saturday on memorial weekend.
2. have dinner down stairs in the Italian restaurant on saturday night, the food is INCREDIBLE and the price is more than fair. The servings are HUGE!! You can share this stuff.
3. If you want the best Buffe in all of Laughlin, go to the Harrahs buffe, its $16 and you will be blown away, INCREDIBLE.
4. Launch at Princess Cove, as soon as you pay just follow the rd straight down, the first street make a right( its marked and says telephone cove). Follow that road a couple miles and you will make another right down into princess cove, its very low key and you wont fight anyone there, better than Katherins or Telephone..
5. Eat Mc Donalds in the AM, save money on Breakfast....pack your lunch and bring plenty of drinks, it gets hot.
6. Fill your boat up in AZ, gas is about 10-12 cents cheaper, lots of places to get fuel.
Mike

pw_Tony
06-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey Mike when's the next time you're goin to be on the lake? I go Jet-skiing there bout 2 or 3 times a week and would love to see how that thing runs (mopar guy obviously lol).
Tony

voodoomedman
06-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Best bet for you is this:
1.Get a Room at the Ramada Express in Laughlin, cheapest and best rates. Plus they wont ask for 3 day stay that weekend. I spent $175 for Friday and saturday on memorial weekend.
2. have dinner down stairs in the Italian restaurant on saturday night, the food is INCREDIBLE and the price is more than fair. The servings are HUGE!! You can share this stuff.
3. If you want the best Buffe in all of Laughlin, go to the Harrahs buffe, its $16 and you will be blown away, INCREDIBLE.
4. Launch at Princess Cove, as soon as you pay just follow the rd straight down, the first street make a right( its marked and says telephone cove). Follow that road a couple miles and you will make another right down into princess cove, its very low key and you wont fight anyone there, better than Katherins or Telephone..
5. Eat Mc Donalds in the AM, save money on Breakfast....pack your lunch and bring plenty of drinks, it gets hot.
6. Fill your boat up in AZ, gas is about 10-12 cents cheaper, lots of places to get fuel.
Mike
Excellent advice. Also if you want to spend an extra couple of bucks for a room then ask for the Parlor Suite. Bigger with a soak and poke in it. If you launch at Katherine then get there early. You can use the main ramp if your on before 7:30 at the absolute latest. Of course you need to be out by 2 as well. If going to Princess Cove then you will have to deal with a couple miles of dirt road but you should be able to get out whenever you feel like it. You still want to go early though as for a big weekend the line will be past the Ranger station so you will have a long wait just to turn right towards Telephone and Princess Cove. Don't gas up at the Chevron right across the river in Arizona. It used to be a good deal until the realized they were right across and cheaper then Nevada so they started raising prices. Go a little farther and you will get a much better price. Don't worry about dinner. It will be super cheap in Laughlin.

Cole Sanger
06-12-2007, 08:57 PM
All very good info. What's this about the toll or fee? Is that for CA or AZ? I have the AZ year pass that is supposed to be good for all the lakes except pleasant, but Bullhead is pretty far away so I don't know if that is covered. Is it a parking fee or entrance fee or just a take it fee? Thanks again.

voodoomedman
06-12-2007, 09:06 PM
All very good info. What's this about the toll or fee? Is that for CA or AZ? I have the AZ year pass that is supposed to be good for all the lakes except pleasant, but Bullhead is pretty far away so I don't know if that is covered. Is it a parking fee or entrance fee or just a take it fee? Thanks again.
Lake Mohave is a National Park. It is part of the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. It's only like $15 bucks for three days of launching. If you plan on coming back then you can get an annual pass for about $35 or around there. Not very expensive. The same pass and the same price will get you into Cottonwood Cove. If you don't mind the drive and really don't want to worry about the crowds then you can do the hour drive out of Laughlin and launch at the top of the basin on the Nevada side.

Cole Sanger
06-12-2007, 09:25 PM
$15 for three days? That is nice. Down here it is $10 a day for parking.

voodoomedman
06-12-2007, 09:41 PM
$15 for three days? That is nice. Down here it is $10 a day for parking.
Yeah it is cool. I actually like Mohave better than Havasu but I like Lake Havasu City better than Bullhead and I think the real estate is better too so we bought our place in Havasu. You will have fun out there. One last tip is that after about noon the basin of that lake can get some big rollers. You will be okay in a 27 but your going to have to drive it. If you don't want to worry about it then get your fun up by Cottonwood done early and get back to the other side of the basin before noon.

78Southwind
06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
If you’re looking for a little entertainment you can swing by Gasoline Alley. Gasoline Alley is about 2 miles north on your right hand side on your way to Cottonwood. There is usually a small gathering of boater’s there parting it up and jumping off the rocks. Cottonwood Cove has a little café if you want to get something to eat.
If you’re looking for a beach close by the Nevada Telephone Cove has some nice beaches and is less crowded than the Arizona Telephone Cove; however you still need to get there early if you want a spot. Rock House Cove or it might be Miners Cove is one of the deeper coves that have a beach at the end of the cove. It’s a pretty cool cove with shear red rock walls and a place to jump of the rocks.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1676LakeMohave_KatherineLanding.JPG
Gasoline Alley
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1676sGasoline_Alley.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1676sGasoline_Alley_Out.JPG

finsfan4life
06-13-2007, 12:15 AM
If you’re looking for a little entertainment you can swing by Gasoline Alley. Gasoline Alley is about 2 miles north on your right hand side on your way to Cottonwood. There is usually a small gathering of boater’s there parting it up and jumping off the rocks. Cottonwood Cove has a little café if you want to get something to eat.
If you’re looking for a beach close by the Nevada Telephone Cove has some nice beaches and is less crowded than the Arizona Telephone Cove; however you still need to get there early if you want a spot. Rock House Cove or it might be Miners Cove is one of the deeper coves that have a beach at the end of the cove. It’s a pretty cool cove with shear red rock walls and a place to jump of the rocks.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1676LakeMohave_KatherineLanding.JPG
Gasoline Alley
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1676sGasoline_Alley.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1676sGasoline_Alley_Out.JPG
Like u were told earlier, Katherine's ramp is no fun..1 to 2 hr wait sometimes (on a reg weekend), maybe u should consider driving 45 to 50 min's to Cottonwood.....?

mdunn01
06-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Hey Mike when's the next time you're goin to be on the lake? I go Jet-skiing there bout 2 or 3 times a week and would love to see how that thing runs (mopar guy obviously lol).
Tony
I was just there on memorial weekend, it was actually not that bad. I am still trying to figure out IF i go to Big River or Laughlin agian this coming weekend of the 23rd.
Mike

mdunn01
06-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Excellent advice. Also if you want to spend an extra couple of bucks for a room then ask for the Parlor Suite. Bigger with a soak and poke in it. If you launch at Katherine then get there early. You can use the main ramp if your on before 7:30 at the absolute latest. Of course you need to be out by 2 as well. If going to Princess Cove then you will have to deal with a couple miles of dirt road but you should be able to get out whenever you feel like it. You still want to go early though as for a big weekend the line will be past the Ranger station so you will have a long wait just to turn right towards Telephone and Princess Cove. Don't gas up at the Chevron right across the river in Arizona. It used to be a good deal until the realized they were right across and cheaper then Nevada so they started raising prices. Go a little farther and you will get a much better price. Don't worry about dinner. It will be super cheap in Laughlin.
This is exactly right, IF you had a jet boat Telephone cove is the best bet but you dont. Also, get the Annaual pass, I have one for my boat and truck and when i came for Memorial weekend, you get to stay to the far right as you approach the pay booth and DONT have to wait in line you drive right in there. Gas ...when you cross the river from Laughlin to AZ, make a right at the light. Go past Mc Donalds and other places and on the left side is a Circle K/ 76 gas its actually not overpriced and just a ways down there.
Mike

455Rocket
06-13-2007, 01:02 PM
This is exactly right, IF you had a jet boat Telephone cove is the best bet but you dont. Also, get the Annaual pass, I have one for my boat and truck and when i came for Memorial weekend, you get to stay to the far right as you approach the pay booth and DONT have to wait in line you drive right in there. Gas ...when you cross the river from Laughlin to AZ, make a right at the light. Go past Mc Donalds and other places and on the left side is a Circle K/ 76 gas its actually not overpriced and just a ways down there.
Mike
If you go stright over the bridge up the Bullhead Parkway there's a station about two miles up and to the left. Prices are good, it's wide open, and no traffic worries in/out.
mdunn01: looks like you roll like I do... hit me up next time your out.

mdunn01
06-13-2007, 01:25 PM
If you go stright over the bridge up the Bullhead Parkway there's a station about two miles up and to the left. Prices are good, it's wide open, and no traffic worries in/out.
mdunn01: looks like you roll like I do... hit me up next time your out.
Send me a PM and keep me in your address book. I roll at least once a month, same routine when going to Laughlin. Its easy on th pocket book and easy on me ;)
Mike

455Rocket
06-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Send me a PM and keep me in your address book. I roll at least once a month, same routine when going to Laughlin. Its easy on th pocket book and easy on me ;)
Mike
Amen bro... I keep the boat in Ft. Mohave, try to get out there every 2-3 weeks.

3queens
06-13-2007, 08:06 PM
the road to princess cove is very dusty way, if you have time go to cotton wood cove about 1hr north never a line easy on and off
katherins is busy after 9am get there early
plenty of room and depth:)

mdunn01
06-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Amen bro... I keep the boat in Ft. Mohave, try to get out there every 2-3 weeks.
I am thinking about going back up there in late July. I will be at AVI on July 14th for the BIG Jet boat bash.
Mike