PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from snoot & diverter?

R/C-PILOT
06-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Newbe here, I just purchased a 1988 Tahiti 16ft w/ski package. Has a Berkley 12-JE-A pump and a small block chevy 350ci. The boat is completely stock, and has less than 100 hrs on it. Incredibly clean. I purchased it from the original owner, he said he bought it from the Chicago boat show, new in 88. I was looking at the droop snoot and/or the hydrolic place diverter. What can I expect from these individualy or together. Are there benefits to these, or just for fun? Thanks for listening.

Sleeper CP
06-12-2007, 08:35 PM
R/C- Pilot,
The short answer to your question is: The Droop snoot lowers the thrust line of the water exiting the pump. The lower thrust line lifts the boat out of the water reducing the wetted area, so it lightens up the boat allowing it to move easier across the water. The Place diverter can not only be fun shooting rooster tails but it allows you to adjust the attitude of the boat for cruising or racing. One of the best uses is being able to adjust the boat to stop porpoising as you are cruising.
Sleeper CP

CARLSON-JET
06-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Unless that "E' pump has a split bowl you cannot add a droop.. a diverter can add a few mph.. Where are you located?

R/C-PILOT
06-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Little town called Sugar Grove, IL. 60554. West of Chicago, about 50 miles west of Chicago. I'm a was a service writer/service manager for Lincoln Mercury, now a writer for a small marina. Nothing but stern drives and tiller steer's. Nobody here, (where I work) wants to know anything about jets. What are my best options for speed and handling? I've got a 40 ft houseboat, that we'll use this for skiing and tubing from. (and running for beer) Thanks for listening. ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED. RC

pw_Tony
06-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the E pump have adjustable trim already on it with a split bowl? If so you don't need a diverter, but you can't run a droop

CARLSON-JET
06-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the E pump have adjustable trim already on it with a split bowl? If so you don't need a diverter, but you can't run a droop
no...:D

pw_Tony
06-13-2007, 09:15 PM
My bad, was thinking of the JF

CARLSON-JET
06-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Little town called Sugar Grove, IL. 60554. West of Chicago, about 50 miles west of Chicago. I'm a was a service writer/service manager for Lincoln Mercury, now a writer for a small marina. Nothing but stern drives and tiller steer's. Nobody here, (where I work) wants to know anything about jets. What are my best options for speed and handling? I've got a 40 ft houseboat, that we'll use this for skiing and tubing from. (and running for beer) Thanks for listening. ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED. RC
Cool.. I'm up by the Chain O' lakes/ fox river (Mchenry).. there are a few guys down your way that have jets on the boards. I think total there are about 25 or so but alot lurk as I do from time to time in the chicagoland area. If you can post a picture of the pump it might be helpful.. Over time alot of things might have been changed to add performace so unless you know it is stock, it's hard to say what has been done. Anyways .. welcome to the board, there are alot of really great folks around here and a ton of information if you do a search.
As I said before and alot will agree, a diverter will give you trim control and possably a little extra speed. The trim option to me is really the best part of the diverter but the rooster is fun.
If you get a chance check out blarney island on the chain.. every thursday evening they have boat races.. http://www.blarneyisland.com/