PDA

View Full Version : When I get bored I tinker (455 intake question too)

TahitiTiger
06-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Ok so the boat has been running to good so I had to mess with it. I have since reinstalled my saddle tanks, new senders, new fuel gage, new fuel hose, new Holley Red fuel pump, and a nice new water seperator. I have also been replacing hardware with stainless allen head bolts (adds hp :D). I am reinstalling my new carpet after a harsh lesson with carpet glue, tonight.
I am squirelling away parts for winter time project when the motor comes out. And I am looking to maybe upgrade my intake manifold. I am running a 40 over bore, on a bbp block. I have another set of heads that I plan on gasket matching. I currently have an Edelbrock Torquer intake, I have been looking at some Offy intakes, the Port O Sonic, and the single carb tunnel ram. Seeing as this boat is just for pleasure, spends alot of time at 2-3.5k rpms. Is the Torquer the best choice for my 455? or should I change out this winter?
Thanks
BTW here was my latest brain storm :D shot gun shell alt spacer.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Qckslvr/STUFF.jpg

El Prosecutor
06-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Conventional wisdom has it that the Torker is better for higher RPM, the Performer is better for what you are doing. Timinator is on record saying that the O4B is the best for your ap if you can find one, and whatever you get to block the crossover.
If and when I change my stock iron intake out on the Olds I will go with the O4B. There are a couple on fleabay right now, they are both painted though.

victorfb
06-13-2007, 10:04 AM
you might want to point that shotgun shell the other direction. if it goes off it will put a serious hurt on ya. :)

Taylorman
06-13-2007, 10:24 AM
My hypothesis based on the words of those who know is that the torker is the best for your rpm range which is up to 4500-5000. I run a Victor and love it but i was told the other day by an olds expert that im leaving hp on the table with the Victor vs the Torker. Oh well, the Victor looks cooler. Stay away from the single carb tunnel ram or the dual tunnel ram. My single carb victor runs much better than my tunnel ram did.

DelawareDave
06-13-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm running a Torker, mild cam, G heads, OT headers with mufflers, and a :eek: :eek: Rochester Quadra-Jet! I have absolutely no complaints about performance.

R.A.D.man
06-13-2007, 01:24 PM
I run a Victor and love it but i was told the other day by an olds expert that im leaving hp on the table with the Victor vs the Torker.
Did he give a reason, was it that the engine rpms are too low to take advantage of the Victor?

TIMINATOR
06-13-2007, 01:25 PM
STOP THE PRESSES!!!!! Professional Products has made their version of an RPM Performer airgap for the 455 OLDS!! It is in the catalogue, has a part#, but has not gotten farther than a preproduction model. They are sending me one to evaluate when ready. Should be 5-7 weeks or so. Keep the faith! If you find an O4B, we weld and repair them all the time, if you don't want to wait this is another option. TIMINATOR

TahitiTiger
06-13-2007, 01:44 PM
I found the O4B on fleabay, and am watching it. So far they claim it has been welded.
My Torquer is plugged already. I had a perferormer, and discovered it was cracked, I smacked it with sledge hammer and turned it in for beer money. (it was free on the wrecking yard motor).
I was looking at the Offys for Power, and cool factor. We used to run Offy stuff on the race cars, in the vintage circuit they were a force to be reconded with. :D Just like Isky Cams, you rarely hear of them any more, yet this Olds 455 is the first performance motor I have not installed an Iskenderian.

pw_Tony
06-13-2007, 01:47 PM
An RPM performer air gab would be sweet for an olds!:D
After goin to the dyno a few times the RPM air gap seems to be the best all around intake. After I took my Torker off my 460 I was grossed out how small the intake runners were. I was in a rush and bought what they had on the shelf, a performer. An RPM air gap would look sweet as well as perform like one of the best. Good luck searchin...

TahitiTiger
06-13-2007, 02:38 PM
STOP THE PRESSES!!!!! Professional Products has made their version of an RPM Performer airgap for the 455 OLDS!! It is in the catalogue, has a part#, but has not gotten farther than a preproduction model. They are sending me one to evaluate when ready. Should be 5-7 weeks or so. Keep the faith! If you find an O4B, we weld and repair them all the time, if you don't want to wait this is another option. TIMINATOR
that is a sexy intake manifold :D
http://www.professional-products.com/manifoldsProductOlds.php
btw what RPM range would this be for?

TrollerDave
06-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Everything I have read about single carb t-ram is that it is not a good option. Something about leaning out the front and back cylinders and burning pistons. Does Edelbrock make a Performer AirGap for 455? I have the Offy T-ram with 2 750's and have been thinking of going to a single with a Torker.
But I am curious to see what Timinator finds out about that new manifold.

bruleracer
06-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Victor vs. Torker ??? HMMM, the Victor looks better, the Torker looks
Weak. I,d bet on the Victor! BOY WAS I WRONG!!! Just got done testing
the victor vs. the ol stand by torker for one of the magazines, the Torker
had the same curve as the Victor but was about 15 better across the board,
(3000-6500) I couldn't believe it ,but numbers are the numbers, We even
thought there might be another problem,,, but checked it all,, put the Torker
back on and , Vualaa, the power was back.
Brule'

Cs19
06-13-2007, 10:11 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Qckslvr/STUFF.jpg
shotgun shell spacer, now thats custom.

YeLLowBoaT
06-13-2007, 10:19 PM
old saying...
if it ain't broke, fook with it til it is. :D
I kind of dig the shot shell.

lilsquirt
06-14-2007, 12:59 AM
An RPM performer air gab would be sweet for an olds!:D
After goin to the dyno a few times the RPM air gap seems to be the best all around intake. After I took my Torker off my 460 I was grossed out how small the intake runners were. I was in a rush and bought what they had on the shelf, a performer. An RPM air gap would look sweet as well as perform like one of the best. Good luck searchin...
I have an rpm air gap on my 460 and dont think I could get a better intake. Builds power everywhere that motor can make it. If you can get your hands on one for the olds thats the way to go.

Taylorman
06-14-2007, 04:08 AM
Victor vs. Torker ??? HMMM, the Victor looks better, the Torker looks
Weak. I,d bet on the Victor! BOY WAS I WRONG!!! Just got done testing
the victor vs. the ol stand by torker for one of the magazines, the Torker
had the same curve as the Victor but was about 15 better across the board,
(3000-6500) I couldn't believe it ,but numbers are the numbers, We even
thought there might be another problem,,, but checked it all,, put the Torker
back on and , Vualaa, the power was back.
Brule'
What magazine should i be on the lookout for?

jetboat
06-14-2007, 04:31 AM
hay taylorman,arnt you going to broken bow?

Taylorman
06-14-2007, 06:22 AM
When is that?

jetboat
06-14-2007, 08:06 AM
thats tis weekend in ok!thought you new?dont you get on the taylor site!

ck7684
06-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Arent the Torker and Victor for completely different RPM ranges?? HGow about comparing a Performer to the Victor...? :rolleyes:

Taylorman
06-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Performer, Torker and Victor are for 5500, 6500 and 7500 rpm's respectively according to Edelbrocks web sight.

ck7684
06-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Right... but if I had, say, a performer camshaft I wouldnt buy a victor intake manifold and expect more power...
I'd really like to see a comparison of a "typical" aftermarket intake and a similiar Offy...they seem to have some unique designs...

maxwedge
06-14-2007, 02:33 PM
This seems like a good time to see if anyone has more input on the Olds Dual quad manifold I asked about the other day in this thread...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152897
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x111/Brunehr/mani2.jpg

pw_Tony
06-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Arent the Torker and Victor for completely different RPM ranges?? HGow about comparing a Performer to the Victor...? :rolleyes:
Well a Torker is a single-plane for higher RPM, but yet they're barely taller than a performer, and the small runners being so low I would think not much velocity to them.
A Victor is so tall with larger runners that they're all high RPM power, which looses alot of torque, and alot of Jets don't spin that many RPM 6500+
And performer's are just gay lol, thats what I have on my boat. Lots of torque, but in a jet boat you're passed 3000 RPM in a snap anyway, so I never understood the reason alot of boaters run performers, but oh well

Taylorman
06-14-2007, 06:14 PM
When i decided to switch from my tunnel ram and go to a single carb, the Victor was really the only choice for me. Im not gonna lie, i bought it mostly for the looks, everything else looks gay imo. Theres not a huge selection of intakes out there, so the Victor was the only choice for me. Steve said the torker made 15 more hp over the Victor. I doubt that would make 1 mph in my boat and i can live being 1 mph slower to have a cool looking engine. Heres a bunch of intakes for the olds.
http://www.mondellotwister.com/IntakeFuelSys.htm

ck7684
06-15-2007, 05:10 AM
True!! Those Victors sure do look cool...
BTW, Summit sells offy intakes new...I dont have much info about them, but I ran an Offy dual quad intake in my '65 Impala and I really liked it!! Mostly for looks, as it was over carbed (327 with 2 500's) but that thing would haul azz!! :D :D