PDA

View Full Version : damage from memorial weekend

79centurion
06-13-2007, 11:15 AM
The boat died while driving. I tried to restart it but no luck. The starter had shook loose and couldnt get to it to tighten it at the lake. Well that wouldnt have mattered since it actually ripped the starter off(stripped the block). So I got longer bolts and put them in and the motor wouldnt turn over. This is what I found.

HBjet
06-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Ouch!
Sorry to hear/see that.
I actually know someone who is looking to sell a BBC 454 that has been assembled but never ran. I do not know the exact condition of the motor but I am sure it is a sound piece as everything this person owns is very nice.
If interested let me know
HB

El Prosecutor
06-13-2007, 11:23 AM
The boat died while driving. I tried to restart it but no luck. The starter had shook loose and couldnt get to it to tighten it at the lake. Well that wouldnt have mattered since it actually ripped the starter off(stripped the block). So I got longer bolts and put them in and the motor wouldnt turn over. This is what I found.
Yep, that'll do it
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32839&d=1181762075

AZKC
06-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Died while driving:eek: at about 5000rpm you failed to mention.;)
I fell your pain I did that 3 times in one season, :D

bulldawg art
06-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Mine wouldn't start either. I guess I'm not the only one who had a rough memorial day weekend...Not bad for a motor with 33 hours on it.:mad:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/11535chamber.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/11535hole.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/11535rod.JPG

lucky
06-13-2007, 11:35 AM
just died, not even a rattle ????

wsuwrhr
06-13-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm sorry, but I couldn't help to laugh.
It just died ey?
No noise or anything?
That was one hell of a bang I think.
Sorry about your day on the lake.
Looked like it obviously dropped a valve, but may have hydrolocked first. Make sure you check out the exhaust system before you put another motor in.
Might save you from buying a second motor.
Brian

LAFD
06-13-2007, 11:52 AM
holy shit did someone put a granade in there. that had to be loud as fock...:eek:

79centurion
06-13-2007, 11:59 AM
It made a noise, but sounding like the starter hitting the flywheel. I normally cruise about 4-4500 rpms, so 5,000 is probably close.
Dan

roostwear
06-13-2007, 12:00 PM
It "lost power"....

wsuwrhr
06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
holy shit did someone put a granade in there. that had to be loud as fock...:eek:
:2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

79centurion
06-13-2007, 12:04 PM
I dont think it hydrolocked due to the exhaust. I barely run water through the headers. The dont look to be rusted through anywhere.
Dan

wsuwrhr
06-13-2007, 12:14 PM
I dont think it hydrolocked due to the exhaust. I barely run water through the headers. The dont look to be rusted through anywhere.
Dan
You don't need a large amount of water, I'm just saying.
You have some serious damage to the cylinder wall, almost like it was just blown out, maybe not water from the exhaust, maybe a blown head gasket then.
In my opinion, I am just saying, to me, unless you just kept running the motor, on the gas, with a broken valve bouncing around in there, it is not going to blow out the whole cylinderwall out and turn the piston sideways before it breaks off the wrist pin boss.
I have seen some brokenracecarshit that let go at a Kagillion RPM and driven a ways "cause it's already broken" and I haven't seen too many like that.
Course I'm not the expert, I was just offering suggestions so you make sure the motor is the only problem you are having and not something else.
Brian

wsuwrhr
06-13-2007, 12:16 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32841&d=1181762095

AZKC
06-13-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm sorry, but I couldn't help to laugh.
It just died ey?
No noise or anything?
That was one hell of a bang I think.
Sorry about your day on the lake.
Looked like it obviously dropped a valve, but may have hydrolocked first. Make sure you check out the exhaust system before you put another motor in.
Might save you from buying a second motor.
Brian
It made a noise, but sounding like the starter hitting the flywheel. I normally cruise about 4-4500 rpms, so 5,000 is probably close.
Dan
I'm bettin the noise was the valve hittin the piston, it looks very similar to the damage I was having.
How old was the motor, did you have any bent push rods?

nielly
06-13-2007, 12:28 PM
That sucks, I hear TAPS in the background!!!!!

79centurion
06-13-2007, 12:29 PM
I appreciate the help Brian. I am not sure what all happened wither. The headgasket looked good with no visable spots of it leaking. The head and block dont have anything showing a head gasket problem. Motor was about a year old. No bent pushrods.

AZKC
06-13-2007, 01:11 PM
What type of valves are/were you running?

79centurion
06-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Stainless steel. The intake valve is the one the broke.
Dan

pw_Tony
06-13-2007, 03:58 PM
OW!!!!! That just made me sick looking at those photos.... sorry to hear your bad ness, looks expensive

cave
06-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Dan sorry to read this. Good thing you still have the cruiser. That is on hell of a picture.

3 daytona`s
06-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Get to Jetaholic,he has the answer to any and all jet/motor related issues:idea:

Oldsquirt
06-13-2007, 05:35 PM
This pic pretty much tells the story. The valve hung open, piston came up and busted the head off. The pic of the piston makes it looks like it took a number of hits before the head of the valve broke off. Are the spring, retainer and keepers still on the stem?
If this had been a case of water in the cylinder from something like a head gasket that was going away or a crack in the head or block, both the combustion chamber and the head of the piston would have little or no carbon left on them. Both the piston and combustion chamber in your pics show normal amounts of carbon. I am concerned that the exhaust valve looks rusty, though.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32842&d=1181762101

wsuwrhr
06-13-2007, 05:48 PM
It would take more than 100 revolutions to steamclean the cumbustion chamber.
If this had been a case of water in the cylinder from something like a head gasket that was going away or a crack in the head or block, both the combustion chamber and the head of the piston would have little or no carbon left on them. Both the piston and combustion chamber in your pics show normal amounts of carbon. I am concerned that the exhaust valve looks rusty, though.

Hotfish
06-13-2007, 05:54 PM
I thought that Brian took the boat out and as soon as he hit the nitrous the dipstick shot out of the block. Then you took it out to see what was wrong with and thats when you got towed in.

Oldsquirt
06-13-2007, 06:03 PM
It would take more than 100 revolutions to steamclean the cumbustion chamber.
Exactly. Headgaskets dont just -----POOF!-----. They start slow and get worse. Most people don't even realize that they are feeling and sometimes seeing the symptoms LONG before they finally give up completely. I've never pulled a head from an engine with a blown headgasket that didn't have a real nice steam cleaned finish. Been in the mechanic biz for 28 years.......
BTW, where did the "100 revolutions" come from??

Cs19
06-13-2007, 09:50 PM
dang thats some torn up stuff, sorry to see that, good luck with the repairs..

OverKill
06-13-2007, 09:52 PM
I thought that Brian took the boat out and as soon as he hit the nitrous the dipstick shot out of the block. Then you took it out to see what was wrong with and thats when you got towed in.
Hot fish hows that new motor coming along. I have to hear that beast when she fires.

centerhill condor
06-14-2007, 03:18 AM
another one bites the dust! dude, sorry 'bout your bad luck.
thanks for posting the pics.

Hotfish
06-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Hot fish hows that new motor coming along. I have to hear that beast when she fires.
Running pretty good. I am tinkering with the carbs right now. Seems to be starving for fuel after I stay in it a couple of seconds. Going to try the jet extentions to see if that helps. Glad to see you up on your feet. You gotta be wanting to take the boat out pretty bad eh?

67weimann
06-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Sorry to hear that Dan... Build it bigger and better...:D

79centurion
06-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Looks like its getting a 468 in it.
Dan