PDA

View Full Version : strut bushing stuck on shaft

e-ticket
01-04-2003, 10:01 PM
Replaced strut bushings in strut. When I installed propshaft the front bushing pulled out of the strut about 3 feet down shaft. It is stuck real good. Should they have been lubed first? What do I do now? Should I cut it off and start over? burningm
[ January 04, 2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: e-ticket ]

01-04-2003, 10:24 PM
Did you clean the strut barrel first? Every time I change bushings I run a sanding roll lightly thru to clean out rust & scale. The bushing still has a press fit but doesn't interfere with the shaft.

e-ticket
01-04-2003, 10:32 PM
The bearings were in the strut already, so don't know how it was prepped. The bushings are bloater type. Do you lube the inside before putting in the shaft? I cleaned the shaft before putting in.

ACCEPTENCE
01-04-2003, 11:14 PM
I would think scrap the stuck one, reinstall a new bushing in the strut and before you put the shaft back in take some sand cloth or a cartridge roll and open the bushing very slightly. Thats what I have done in the past... Might work for you too. Hope it helps.

e-ticket
01-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Acceptance,
Thanks for info. :confused: Me, being stupid, but what is a cartridge roll? Are the strut bushings supposed to be put in the strut using Marintex or just inserted in the strut. Guess I just need to know the proper installation of the strut and alignment proceedure. This is my first time reinstalling the strut assembly. Help would be greatly appreciated.

GofastRacer
01-05-2003, 07:21 AM
The bushing slid out more than likely because the strut was not cleaned, there's always a certain amount of crud that accumulates between the bushing and the strut over time!, I always take some sand paper and clean both ends of the strut and make sure there's no dirt whatsoever, that way the bushing won't slide on the crud!..If you're using a fiber bushing, the shaft will always go in tight because the bushing compresses when it is pressed in the strut. I usually just use water while pushing the shaft up, it seems to work ok, or as Acceptance says, you can sand the bushing a bit, won't hurt anything!..What ever type of bushing you use DO NOT use anything to hold it in there, if you do, when it's time to replace it, you will have one hell of a time getting the old bushing out and cleaning the strut bore!.. As cheap as they are, I would start over, scrap the one that's in there, clean the bore good and put a new one in!. If the front one slid out, chances are the back one will too!...Just my .02....Good luck!..

V-Drive Tom
01-05-2003, 07:32 AM
e-ticket, Get that bushing off of the shaft.(Yes, lube the shaft)
If you ruin it, get a new one and lightly sand or clean the inside of barrel before pushing it in.(eg.058)
Then take a floppy type sander and LIGHTLY run it through a little.(eg acceptence)
Lube the shaft and make sure it will slide through without pounding.
You said something about reinstalling the strut.
MAKE SURE that the strut is in the SAME location as before or you will be moving the v-drive.
The shaft needs to be in the CENTER of the bottom of the boat. Not just the center of the hole in the boat.(sometimes the hole in the boat is off a little because the the hole saw will travel to the right)
You would only glue the bushings in if they realy need it.(NOT marinetex..3M or similar)
So scrap it, start over, make it fit nice!! smile_sp TOM.

schiada96
01-05-2003, 09:13 AM
e-tkt give me a call and I'll help

e-ticket
01-05-2003, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the info guys. It sure is great to come here and get help. I am going to get the old one off, reclean on get new bushings on order. May try the fiber bushings. Will keep you posted. Thanks again! :)

01-05-2003, 09:52 AM
To remove the stubborn old bushings try cutting it lengthwise with a hacksaw blade. You then should be able to just push it out.