PDA

View Full Version : Menkins V-Drives

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-13-2007, 11:03 PM
I got to thank Tom Bentley for tricking out my Casale v-drive.
I had him hog out the cases for 48's leaving the water jacket in place. Also went with the 1/2 inch plate and everything was checked out and replaced as necessary.
I went with Tom because of his outstanding reputation and ability to go beyond factory spec in setting these up.
The detail and finish is awesome! I can't wait to turn Dave Sammons loose on the boat. The paint job is nearing completion.
Thanks again Tom! I'll be sending up another one in a week or so.
--Jerry
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/DSC01923.JPG
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/DSC01922.JPG

dmontzsta
06-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Nice. I wish my case still had the water jackets. :(

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Nice. I wish my case still had the water jackets. :(
You should've went through Tom. ;)

beaverfab
06-14-2007, 04:59 AM
Looks real good Tom work is first rate. j.j.

ColeTR2
06-14-2007, 05:33 AM
Looks nice Jerry!

wsuwrhr
06-14-2007, 05:38 AM
My case looks exactly the same. Course I was a dick and never posted pictures.
I will have to do that.
Looks nice VDV.
Brian

Mr. V-Driver
06-14-2007, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=V-DRIVE VIDEO;2619195]
I went with Tom because of his outstanding reputation and ability to go beyond factory spec in setting these up.
Beyond factory Specs.????????????????????????????
That'z a NEW one!!!
Don't like the Allen Head Bolts, Should of used ARP stainless 12 pt., or standard Grade 8 HEX.
Overall,................................ Looks NIICE!!!

Mr. V-Driver
06-14-2007, 07:49 AM
My case looks exactly the same. Course I was a dick and never posted pictures.
I will have to do that.
Looks nice VDV.
Brian
Don't be so hard on yourself DUDE! LOL........:)

Racey
06-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Lookin nice and clean, those allen head bolts make me nervous, they always seem so prone to stripping. but other than that it looks badass, that natural finish with polished fins is always a hit.

WannabeRacing
06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
I have a v-drive here that we just took apart for the first time two days ago. It has been clearances inside for a larger gear, but did not take the water jacket out. Was wondering while it was coming apart, and you may have just answered it.
Is that the magic number? 48's about as big as you can go without hitting the jackets? How about the biggest without needing the clearancing?
Oh yeah, that thing looks awesome!

BrendellaJet
06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Lookin nice and clean, those allen head bolts make me nervous, they always seem so prone to stripping. but other than that it looks badass, that natural finish with polished fins is always a hit.
use the right size allen wrench and they wont.

Roaddogg 4040
06-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Buzz... I just had mine done the same way. I think that you might able to go a little further but don't know for sure...
Steve

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-14-2007, 01:43 PM
I have a v-drive here that we just took apart for the first time two days ago. It has been clearances inside for a larger gear, but did not take the water jacket out. Was wondering while it was coming apart, and you may have just answered it.
Is that the magic number? 48's about as big as you can go without hitting the jackets? How about the biggest without needing the clearancing?
Oh yeah, that thing looks awesome!
Billy has 54's in his and its still water jacketed.
As far as fastners go.... Tom asked me what I wanted and I couldn't decide so those went in. I think they look ok, but they're easily changed if I change my mind.

dmontzsta
06-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Billy has 54's in his and its still water jacketed.
As far as fastners go.... Tom asked me what I wanted and I couldn't decide so those went in. I think they look ok, but they're easily changed if I change my mind.
I know a guy (on the boards) his Dad had a K-Boat. He was hauling some butt when the thin walled water jacket sprung a leak and singed the gears, he came to a stop fast and had a whirlaway, but still said he was scared as shit.
Be carefuly out there, these K-Boats are no honda civics, if you know what I am saying. HA HA HA HA HA HA.
Maybe I am just mad cause I run little bitch gears, yet I have no water jackets...someone want to trade?

ubin
06-14-2007, 02:34 PM
casales gear page says anything bigger than 32s needs machining. does that mean it needs releaved of taken clear out? im thinking of going bigger but that seems like quite a bit of work for some top end.

FLATMVN
06-14-2007, 04:49 PM
If you get the right case's from Casale then you can run up to a 60% overdrive gear in them. They are a raised water passage case. That way you don't have to do any machining or worry about thin water passages springing leak's or weakening the stock cases by machining them out.

superdave013
06-15-2007, 04:49 AM
:idea: or maybe prop the boat different to run smaller gears ????:idea:
yeah that's a great idea. Maybe you could be the guy to try these new 22" pitched props. lol
I've put 37 in more then one v drive with no problems. They were close but fit. 40's fit with just a little die grinder work to a few spots on the jacket. 35's are the bastard gears and won't fit with out work. They seem kinda rare anyway. The bottom gear is straight and the top one had the taper if I recall.
Water jackets are over rated unless you're ski racing or endurance racing if you ask me.
Oh, I have the same Tom Bentley bolts in mine too. What's wrong with a touch of class put on a 1940's design gear box?? If nothing else it shows his details. West Coast Stainless does all their bolts that way. The high end street rod crowd pays big bucks for them too. Heck, with a chucker lathe and a buffing wheel you could do every bolt in your boat in a few hours.

Racey
06-15-2007, 06:20 AM
use the right size allen wrench and they wont.
You can use the right size allen wrench all day long, even snap-on, they are nice when they're new, but those things are only good for 3 uses before they start to get wallered out, they are no comparision to a 12-point for durability, it seems like we have the snap-on guy over to the shop every week to replace worn out allen sockets, they just don't seem to last around our place. when's the last time you had to replace a worn out 12-pt socket or box wrench...... never

Mr. V-Driver
06-15-2007, 09:49 AM
You can use the right size allen wrench all day long, even snap-on, they are nice when they're new, but those things are only good for 3 uses before they start to get wallered out, they are no comparision to a 12-point for durability, it seems like we have the snap-on guy over to the shop every week to replace worn out allen sockets, they just don't seem to last around our place. when's the last time you had to replace a worn out 12-pt socket or box wrench...... never
I totally agree 100%
The 12 pt. ARP Stainless case bolts are nice as the head has a built in washer underneath. Pressnuts are only good if there is enough meat to install them into the OLDER style cast case. NO PROBLEM for the Billet Casale CAses.
Casale has NEW and IMPROVED, CAst cases, built-up in the bosses for pressnutz.

Mr. V-Driver
06-15-2007, 10:08 AM
What's wrong with a touch of class put on a 1940's design gear box??
Noth'n!
Davy,...the Square top is a late 40's- 50'S design
The split case is a 60's design and the 10* came in around 72-73.
The 1st twin screw is a Hand Made billet box 70's made by us when we were in Los Angeles on Goodrich Blvd.
The 1st Billet Casale box was made for Braaksma in early 80's, larger than todays box to run BIG overdrive 3-1 and up gears. Custom, special order billet boxes were created shortly after, justlike the standard split case.
And, of course the Larger cast and billet cases, parallel, Z,
c-500, c-1000, c-2000, Allison/Rayson craft style, Porsche, and Unlimited. Have been around since the 60's-70's. :)

superdave013
06-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Noth'n!
Davy,...the Square top is a late 40's- 50'S design
The split case is a 60's design and the 10* came in around 72-73.
The 1st twin screw is a Hand Made billet box 70's made by us when we were in Los Angeles on Goodrich Blvd.
The 1st Billet Casale box was made for Braaksma in early 80's, larger than todays box to run BIG overdrive 3-1 and up gears. Custom, special order billet boxes were created shortly after, justlike the standard split case.
And, of course the Larger cast and billet cases, parallel, Z,
c-500, c-1000, c-2000, Allison/Rayson craft style, Porsche, and Unlimited. Have been around since the 60's-70's. :)
yeah yeah yeah, but at the end of the day they all just have 2 gears, 2 shafts and a handfull of bearings. The billet ones are just fancy old designs as the internal parts are the same. I would have said late 1,800 design but they don't have babbet bearings. ;)
I must be doing something wrong. Allen wrenches seem to last along time around here. Heck, all my machines are full of allen bolts.

Sangster
06-15-2007, 11:38 AM
If you're wearing out Stainless Allenhead bolts on a v-drive, there must be something wrong with the v-drive itself to need to be torn apart so much that it's not cost effective to replace them every couple a times they're removed...........:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mr. V-Driver
06-15-2007, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=superdave013;2622246]yeah yeah yeah, but at the end of the day they all just have 2 gears, 2 shafts and a handfull of bearings. The billet ones are just fancy old designs as the internal parts are the same. I would have said late 1,800 design but they don't have babbet bearings. ;)
Maybe,........... Wooden gears, shafts, and cases. Oak, redwood, or petrified Rock.
The STone age, Bronze age, and Steel age.
In the FUTURE, Bullet Proof Acrylic, SEE through cases. They are making rear-end covers out of this stuff, so you can see your differential gears turning and the OIL inside. :)

Highlimit9000
06-15-2007, 02:44 PM
:):) :) :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/Menkens_v-drive.jpg:) :) :) :D

connell50
06-15-2007, 03:27 PM
I had Tom do my v-drive. He does great work. I used the hex head arp bolts.
instead of the twelve point. I think they look better than the 12pt.:) :)