PDA

View Full Version : Question about Military reserves.....

Cole Trickle
06-14-2007, 10:40 AM
With the recent announcment that Windy is heading to the far east I was thinking about the reserves last night.
I have had a couple buddies that signed up back in the day to get there parents off there back when they were slacking so I understand you have to go to boot camp and then spend 1 weekend a month with your divison.
My question is what kind of pay do you get to join the reserves?
I have know a couple people in the last year that have been called to duty and every single one of them had to walk away (for a year) from a good relationship and a decent paying job.
I know personally my company couldn't operate without someone sitting in my chair. They would have to replace me if I was gone for a month let alone a year. (Is there a law that states you can come back to the same job with the same pay when you return?)
My Heart goes out to Windy and Bobby. I don't like being seperated from Jen for more than a week and I know they are in the same boat as us with an up coming wedding.
So do people join for the $$$$,benifits or to proudly serve our country?:idea: :confused:

Cole Trickle
06-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Military service is not something that should be entered into lightly or for a paycheck. Even active duty military pay is not very good. Reserve, active duty, Army, Navy, Air Force or Marine Corps, you have to be prepared to fight and die for your country. If you are, by all means, do it.
I know full time entry level millatary pay is bad.
Are we talking $500,$1000+ a month for reserves?
Just seems like a huge sacrafice when your card gets pulled for a part time gig..

Windy
06-14-2007, 10:57 AM
With the recent announcment that Windy is heading to the far east I was thinking about the reserves last night.
I have had a couple buddies that signed up back in the day to get there parents off there back when they were slacking so I understand you have to go to boot camp and then spend 1 weekend a month with your divison.
Yes as a reservisits you go to boot camp. Then you may or may not go to A school to learn your trade, I didnt have to go to A school. Then one weekend a month you reserve with your unit, and two weeks a year you go on AT Annual Training.
My question is what kind of pay do you get to join the reserves?
That depends..if you have a certain degree then the recruiter can bring you in as a commissioned officer. I came in the reserves as an E3 because I am a licensed EMT in my civilian job.
I have know a couple people in the last year that have been called to duty and every single one of them had to walk away (for a year) from a good relationship and a decent paying job.
I know personally my company couldn't operate without someone sitting in my chair. They would have to replace me if I was gone for a month let alone a year. (Is there a law that states you can come back to the same job with the same pay when you return?)
Yes, the ESGR says that your employer can not let you go. Most companies are supportive and some will even pay you for a few months while your gone. My company is very supportive.
My Heart goes out to Windy and Bobby. I don't like being seperated from Jen for more than a week and I know they are in the same boat as us with an up coming wedding.
The seperation will be the hardest part.
So do people join for the $$$$,benifits or to proudly serve our country?:idea: :confused:
I joined the reserves for several reasons. GI Bill was one. The main reason I joined is because I dont want to look back on my life and say "I wish I wouldve done that." I come from a military family and Im proud to serve my country and be apart of my families tradition. This is one of the goals I have set for myself. The expirences are priceless.

Windy
06-14-2007, 11:00 AM
So, were you a reservist called to active duty?
Yes.

Windy
06-14-2007, 11:05 AM
What's the deal with that? How long can they keep you?
I was never in the reserves, I did enough active duty time that I met my 8 years total obligation.
The deployments are for one year...they dont want to burn you out...but then they can call you back to active duty again.

Cole Trickle
06-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Dude, for the $35k I was making when I got out 16 years ago, it's still a huge sacrifice. What's your life worth? What's the rest of your worth to your family? All questions that should be asked.
Of course, if you enter the Air Force reserve, your chancing of dying from a bad crepe suzette are pretty slim. ;)
Agreed....
Honestly there is no amount of $$$ you could pay me to join the millatary. I respect and appreciate every single person that signed on the dotted line but it's just not for me.(I would be at the front of the line if our country was invaded) The people that use that experience they learned or re enlist and become Rangers or Seals are flat out amazing people. They are going about it the right way and I get the impression that they are there for the right reasons.
On the flip it always cracks me up when the parents of soldigers are complaning that there kids are over sea's at war when thats the job they signed up for.

Cole Trickle
06-14-2007, 11:08 AM
I joined the reserves for several reasons. GI Bill was one. The main reason I joined is because I dont want to look back on my life and say "I wish I wouldve done that." I come from a military family and Im proud to serve my country and be apart of my families tradition. This is one of the goals I have set for myself. The expirences are priceless.
great info..:)
So was the pay as an E3 part of the choice or did you sign up soley to surve your country and continue family traditions?

Cole Trickle
06-14-2007, 11:09 AM
The funniest part is, most soldiers (or Marines) would rather be no other place than in the middle of a combat zone. At least that's how it was when I was in. You wanted to be in the shit.
Those are the people to be respected!!! They know there job and they accel at it (No hiding in bunkers or faking injurys)

Windy
06-14-2007, 11:19 AM
great info..:)
So was the pay as an E3 part of the choice or did you sign up soley to surve your country and continue family traditions?
The extra income along with the GI Bill {which Im using} definitely helped me at the time I signed up. Having Bobby in my life now I dont need the extra pay that I get, but back then I was taking care of myself.
Now that Im about to go to Kuwait I will be getting active duty pay as an E4..ECOLA {which is cost of living in HB}. Dependants pay and Hazard duty pay...and it will just all go in the bank since I wont be spending much over there. This is all tax free to. I will actually make more than what Im making now.

Havasu Luvr
06-14-2007, 11:19 AM
The deployments are for one year...they dont want to burn you out...but then they can call you back to active duty again.
Deployment is now 15 months for active duty personel, It maybe different for reserves
About the pay issues, I believe it is one of the best option for our young adults. Everyone says the pay sucks.. let do the math (approx figures)
base pay E-1 less 1 yr = 1000.00
BAS = 279.00
Life insurance policy (450K) = 40.00
Education/Training = Priceless
Housing = 750.00
Utilities (ie gas/elect) = 150.00
Medical = 350.00
Dental = 55.00
Food = Free (DFAC)
All this is not bad for a young person to be making right out of High School with NO trade or technical education for any type of position to make adequit salary....or they could be working @ Del Taco for $6.75hr and getting 28 hrs per week living at home and drive moms car. Most people only look at the PayCheck value of the military and not the whole pkg. Lets get real ! ! !

badbrad
06-14-2007, 11:38 AM
friend of mine got out of active duty and after a year went to the reserves because she missed it. two weeks after signing the contract her unit got activated. you dont do it for the money because they dont pay you shit. they promise that you can go toschool while on active duty but that is just a sales technique. they got you by the balls and that is it!

76ANTHONY
06-14-2007, 11:41 AM
well when i went into the military the national gaurd and reserve peeps where laughed at and told it was cause they couldnt make it in the full time military, now i guess they are one and the same. they get free school, for their military job and they get benefits that are pretty good, but like windy said, pricless in what you learn and who you meet. some peeps join because defending our country is still important to them.

Flyinbowtie
06-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Not to jack the thread, but I think it is downright shameful that the enlisted ranks are paying federal income tax at all. Up to to E-5 anyway, these folks are usually young, and ain't makin' much, and are serving their country. I know that combat zone pay is tax free, but good god how much money can these people be putting into the coffers?
Let'em keep it. All of it.
When my son was on active duty, he paid to seed his G.I. bill which is a great program and one he is using, he had $ deducted for his meal ticket, and I believe $ deducted for his housing.
Chris served 3 years active, and so he went into the inactive ready reserve for the remainder of his 8 yr. hitch. He was told that the Army would pull back all active reservists with his MOS before they reached out for him.
I believe that there is at least a 50-50 chance that he'll get that call before the clock runs out. The world is just too dangerous a palce these days to make me believe otherwise.

Cole Trickle
06-14-2007, 11:50 AM
well when i went into the military the national gaurd and reserve peeps where laughed at and told it was cause they couldnt make it in the full time military, now i guess they are one and the same. they get free school, for their military job and they get benefits that are pretty good, but like windy said, pricless in what you learn and who you meet. some peeps join because defending our country is still important to them.
What college did you graduate from and what famous peeps did you meet?:D:D

Havasu Luvr
06-14-2007, 11:53 AM
friend of mine got out of active duty and after a year went to the reserves because she missed it. two weeks after signing the contract her unit got activated. you dont do it for the money because they dont pay you shit. they promise that you can go toschool while on active duty but that is just a sales technique. they got you by the balls and that is it!
Well, its been my experience that MOST young soldiers do not take advantage of the GI bill. They are usually straight out of Mama/Daddys house and on their own for the first time with money in their pocket to burn....NO time for education.....it's time to party ! ! ! !
Sorry you had a negetive experience with the Armed Services. It is NOT for everyone but it does have alot to offer the individual who seeks more in life, the opportunaties are there, you just have to be displined (sp?) enough to take advantage of it

76ANTHONY
06-14-2007, 11:58 AM
fresno state and i was in germany when shaq was going to school there, oh yeah i got to hit john daily in the arm for telling a lie but that was after the military:D

76ANTHONY
06-14-2007, 12:02 PM
didnt see that, i never graduated, moved out to oc and worked at mcdonnell douglas, money was more important to me. stupid me:D

Havasu Luvr
06-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Not to jack the thread, but I think it is downright shameful that the enlisted ranks are paying federal income tax at all. Up to to E-5 anyway, these folks are usually young, and ain't makin' much, and are serving their country. I know that combat zone pay is tax free, but good god how much money can these people be putting into the coffers?
Let'em keep it. All of it.
When my son was on active duty, he paid to seed his G.I. bill which is a great program and one he is using, he had $ deducted for his meal ticket, and I believe $ deducted for his housing.
Chris served 3 years active, and so he went into the inactive ready reserve for the remainder of his 8 yr. hitch. He was told that the Army would pull back all active reservists with his MOS before they reached out for him.
I believe that there is at least a 50-50 chance that he'll get that call before the clock runs out. The world is just too dangerous a palce these days to make me believe otherwise.
Your son should have beeen recieving BAS (Basic Allowance for Substance) and a portion of it should be deducted for DFAC and quarters. If he was living off base then he should have been recieving BAQ (Basic Allowance for Quarters) which non of it should have been deducted. I still think it is a great option for our young adults but like I said it is NOT for everyone... I have a neighbor boy who grew up with my sons....he ask me for some advise serveral years ago about the US ARMY. I gave it to him directly and he decided to give it a try. He made E-5 in 2yrs, learned a trade that otherwise it would have taken him several more years to accomplish, has a wonderful wife and sons, and has seen the world including Alaska, the PI (Phillippine Island) and Afhganistan and soon to be Iraq, made Soldier of the Month and nominated for Soldier of the Year, all this before the age of 21yr.......most kids are just getting promoted to shift leader @ MCDonalds

Havasu Luvr
06-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Yeah, but I believe shift leader includes two free meals per shift. :D
LMAO ! !! you got me there.....:D

stonehedge
06-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Did 20 in the Marines. Part of it in the Active Reserves. Actually went more places and saw more action while in the Reserves. The Marine Reserves are very similiar to the Active folks, required to do the same in everything. Alot of good people are in our military, and this includes the Reservists.
It takes alot of courage to serve our nation. And with whats going on presently, even more. I respect the hell out of all the folks who sacrafice for us.
Good thread.

MADDOG355
06-14-2007, 12:29 PM
I friend of mine was in the Marine reserves back before and during desert storm. Enlisted while he was still in high school (the recruters used to come to the schools, I don't know if they still do or not) . Then the pay was $250.00 for the weekend and about $2,000.00 for the 2 weeks in the summer (that was normally at 29 Palms CA. Then he went to Desert Storm, and he was never the same after that. He was never injured and stayed in the rear somewhere protecting a base he still leads a normal productive life, he is just diffrent. He never did use the GI Bill.
I used to do some mechanic work for a retired recruter, I asked him why he retired his response "I got tired of telling lies to kids"

MADDOG355
06-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Did 20 in the Marines. Part of it in the Active Reserves. Actually went more places and saw more action while in the Reserves. The Marine Reserves are very similiar to the Active folks, required to do the same in everything. Alot of good people are in our military, and this includes the Reservists.
That is true, in Desert Storm the reserves were there 3 months before the 101st and most of FT Campbell deployed. And returned home after they did
I beleve the line was "last to know, First to go"

Flyinbowtie
06-14-2007, 12:41 PM
H.L.;
I just looked at one of his old pay stubs, and it does not reflect what you state should have ben going on, my interpretation appears to have been accurate. He was living on-post, in unmarried enlisted housing. trying to fix this now is probably tantamount to pissing into the wind.
I think maybe something was lost in the translation, I wholeheartedly support what he did do and may wind up doing again, it is a great place for a young person to learn a trade, grow up, and serve their country.
He made E-3 upon graduated from his AIT, E-4 early less than 8 months later, and was offered E-5 and the usual $ to reup. He countered and said he would give 3 more active years if, for one of those years, he could be stationed somewhere within 250 miles of the west coast.
His Lt. went to bat for him, and got everything but the one year stateside, which was a deal breaker.
He is 23, just completed HVAC-R Training, (G.I. Bill) has a great job, and is doing well.
My nephew is an E-5, (perhaps 6 by now) infantry, on his second tour at the border in Korea after two tours in Iraq.
The Stars and Stripes fly on a 30 ft. pole in my front yard, with the Ensign of the Untied States Army directly below it. :)
I do disagree on one point, I think national service should be mandatory for all young adults, perhaps two years between 20-28, or something. The military is a good thing, period.
On edit, HL it looks like the nephew is in the same neighborhood as one of your sons, Camp C on the border, constant training in the field rotation, things were, as of last March, pretty tight over there..

Havasu Luvr
06-14-2007, 12:56 PM
H.L.;
I just looked at one of his old pay stubs, and it does not reflect what you state should have ben going on, my interpretation appears to have been accurate. He was living on-post, in unmarried enlisted housing. trying to fix this now is probably tantamount to pissing into the wind.
I think maybe something was lost in the translation, I wholeheartedly support what he did do and may wind up doing again, it is a great place for a young person to learn a trade, grow up, and serve their country.
He made E-3 upon graduated from his AIT, E-4 early less than 8 months later, and was offered E-5 and the usual $ to reup. He countered and said he would give 3 more active years if, for one of those years, he could be stationed somewhere within 250 miles of the west coast.
His Lt. went to bat for him, and got everything but the one year stateside, which was a deal breaker.
He is 23, just completed HVAC-R Training, (G.I. Bill) has a great job, and is doing well.
My nephew is an E-5, (perhaps 6 by now) infantry, on his second tour at the border in Korea after two tours in Iraq.
The Stars and Stripes fly on a 30 ft. pole in my front yard, with the Ensign of the Untied States Army directly below it. :)
I do disagree on one point, I think national service should be mandatory for all young adults, perhaps two years between 20-28, or something. The military is a good thing, period.
On edit, HL it looks like the nephew is in the same neighborhood as one of your sons, Camp C on the border, constant training in the field rotation, things were, as of last March, pretty tight over there..
Hmmm? Enlisted with quarters should have seen BAS approx 279.00 and maybe a deduction of approx 200.00. Your son utilized his options and elected to get out and do his education then..."Outstanding" Bless him and you for your service. I to fly the colors but mostly here (see photo). Brandon is home until the 20th June then returns to Camp Casey. He is a graduate of Calinary School of California and is now a cook in the ARMY. Have your nephew look him up... DFAC 2-9 Dining Facility Manchu Inn Spc White. Training there is constant. He has been there for almost 2yrs and averages 13 FTX per year. He is never in quarters. He is coming home stateside in Nov of this year and hoping for Ft. Irwin for his next duty station (much closer to home):D http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/39flagpole252647.JPG

Havasu Luvr
06-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Theres another board member who just contacted me and has a son finishing up AIT (15B, Turbine Mechanic) and now has orders to Camp Casey Korea. It's starting to be a small world. I told Brandon if any soldiers approach him and says he has a relative in HBF or a river rat background he is to take care of them.....:D