PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

bt273
06-26-2002, 09:12 PM
Is it better to run the cavatation plates against a stop, or take the stop out and drive the boat? or does horse power play a big factor?

V-Drive Tom
06-26-2002, 09:42 PM
Come on all you runner bottom racers!!! Answer this guy! Don't make me! Im just a dumb-ass v-drive builder!!! TOM.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

Fiat48
06-26-2002, 10:36 PM
Depending on the boat and how much rocker is in the bottom determines how high to set the cavitation plate, but generally 1/4" up (which would be against the stop..yes..you need the stop) with 3/8" maximum only for the fearless. Engine location, strut location and angle, bottom rocker, bottom relief, V drive location and horsepower all play a part in determining cavitation plate settings.

Jetboatguru
06-26-2002, 10:42 PM
Mr Hendrix, HP does play a huge part in your question. Since you are lacking HP we shall for the sake of this topic pretend you have alot. You want to have the plates set and then run them up against the stop. I like to set up the boat to where I am not out of the down peddle completely ever. Boats like #505, #146 #824 and #252, all comp flats are driven from start to finish with the left leg. If by chance the boat is gonna get high and do the no no it is because of my left foot. This puts me in complete control. Don't take the stop out of the boat as it is the a critical reference point for where the plates are set.

PGF545
06-27-2002, 07:13 AM
I agree with Tony, Set the plates using the stop...there is less chance that you are going to overdrive the boat to play catch up, I have seen people do this and the result was not pretty. If you feel that you need more up then just move the stop up a little of adjust the turnbuckles a little, but leave the stop in.
Bernie

AthruZ
06-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by bt273:
Is it better to run the cavatation plates against a stop, or take the stop out and drive the boat? or does horse power play a big factor?
Bt 273. When relying on your left leg, it generally requires several years of driving experience in boats that exceed 100mph. Being you and the Mullett are just breaking in to that category you should probably continue to run your boat SLOW, oops i mean on the SAFE side.

bt273
06-28-2002, 03:57 PM
I appreciate the info, not that I was going to try this method, but I was definately curious about it,for I do not beleive I have enough experience yet!