PDA

View Full Version : Any High End Rv Mechanics on Board..??

LuckyStrike
06-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Just Picked up a new 40 pusher with Basement Air...I need some help..
The F,,,ing thing wont go below 86 F right now Ambiant is 110 and roof temp is F..ing HOT 128+++ the Thermo is @ 76F is this Normal...Is the Freon the same as Cars/Trucks or would this be a Small Home Unit???
My Question is..Is There a Way of Producing COLDER AIR out of this Unit Regardless of Home/AUTO AIR...?????

Jordy
06-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Again??? I'd take it back to Earnhardt's and cover it with gas, set it on fire, just to give them a demonstration of how cold the air gets. :mad: :devil:

LuckyStrike
06-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Again??? I'd take it back to Earnhardt's and cover it with gas, set it on fire, just to give them a demonstration of how cold the air gets. :mad: :devil:
No It Was Not Earnhardts...The FRENCH/CANADIANS... No Diss TOM BROWN..LOL
I Have Loads Of ONTARIO And Western Canadian Friends ...THE F-Canadians Run A Different Way Their WAY...F-----THEM:D :D

catman-do
Depending on which AC units you have. In a 40 you should have to 15,000's. Generally the roof top/ floor units are good for about a 20 degree ambient drop in temps for about 180-200 sq feet (can varry depending on roof height). Remember that just because you have the vents in the floor doesnt mean that it will be a whole lot cooler. The only real difference is the ducts running through the floor (which is assumed that the floor will be cooler than the roof). The unit itself is still on the roof. Our 40 foot trailer will get into the mid 70's on a 105 degree day with both units on.

TCHB
Are both air units running loaded up??

LuckyStrike
06-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Depending on which AC units you have. In a 40 you should have to 15,000's. Generally the roof top/ floor units are good for about a 20 degree ambient drop in temps for about 180-200 sq feet (can varry depending on roof height). Remember that just because you have the vents in the floor doesnt mean that it will be a whole lot cooler. The only real difference is the ducts running through the floor (which is assumed that the floor will be cooler than the roof). The unit itself is still on the roof. Our 40 foot trailer will get into the mid 70's on a 105 degree day with both units on.
This Is Basement Ducked to the Roof/Ceiling:idea:

LuckyStrike
06-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Are both air units running loaded up??
I Dont Understand??

AZKC
06-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Being 110* might have something to do with it, it can only cool air so much.
Now using Jordys idea may cause a little rise in outside temps, but it does have merit :D

RiverToysJas
06-14-2007, 03:48 PM
AJ, Spend more time outside in the 110degree heat....then when you go back inside, the 86 will feel nice and cool!!! ;) .......I know this because my trailer hoovers about 90 in the peak of summer heat.....still feels good when you've been in the 115+ all day though. :D
RTJas :D

DMOORE
06-14-2007, 03:50 PM
I've got a 43 ft coach, and when it's 110 plus I run all 3 units. 2 units have a hard time when it's that hot.
Darrell.

LuckyStrike
06-14-2007, 04:03 PM
JUST WANTED TOO CHECK.....WHERE IM FROM CLEVELAND/FT LAUDERDALE WE HANG MEAT:idea: :D :D

DMOORE
06-14-2007, 04:24 PM
The big thing is to stay AHEAD of the heat. Make sure all the awnings are out, shades are pulled in the heat of the day. And keep the door shut as much as you can.(sometimes hard with kids).
Darrell.

squirt'nmyload
06-14-2007, 04:31 PM
is it worse than it was 2 weeks ago? get this shit fixed before we get there..lol :D :D

brianthomas
06-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Father In Law worked for Winnebago, they always took new chasis motorhomes to Death Valley in June before they were released to test air conditioning and engine cooling. What brand did you buy? I can't imagine any of the better manufacturers not testing and undersizing the air.

MBlaster
06-14-2007, 05:17 PM
With basement a/c you have to have the amps to run both compressors. Sounds like only one compressor is running.
Does your rig have a EMS (energy mgmt. system)?
If so with the a/c off turn it on and look at the number on the EMS, that number should spike for a minute then settle to a number between 15-20 amps while compressor 1 ramps up. In another minute or 2 you should hear compressor 2 fire up and the numbers on the EMS should spike again until #2 is settled in. At that point you should be able to look at the EMS and see exactly how many amps you are using.
If you are only drawing 30 amps or less thats not enough suds to run both compressors. You really need 50 to effectivly run both compressors on a basement a/c.
Also check to see if your air filter is clogged, or there may be shit in the way of the air intake.
Also you may have a leak in the ductwork behind the rear cap of the coach.

HighRoller
06-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Without knowing the specifics of the make/model it's hard to say if this is an A/C issue or just poor insulation. If you're leaking air or have too much heat soak through the roof/walls it doesn't matter how many BTU's you push. I'lkl second the notion of starting with simple stuff first. Make sure all your filters and vents are clear and that you're getting good air flow. Then check to make sure you're getting all the power you need to run both A/C units. Are we talking on the generator or shore power? We need more info...
The final possibility is that the units being in the floor is adding to the heat problem. Is the floor hot at all? My wife used to work at Monaco and said basement air units are notorius for being problematic in high heat situations.

Kim Hanson
06-14-2007, 07:08 PM
No It Was Not Earnhardts...The FRENCH/CANADIANS... No Diss TOM BROWN..LOL
I Have Loads Of ONTARIO And Western Canadian Friends ...THE F-Canadians Run A Different Way Their WAY...F-----THEM:D :D
Pardon me, by the way we don't roll....we slide.......:idea: ...( . )( . ).........

Riverbass
06-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Sounds about right for your rig, but you may be pulling more amps then the campground has to offer.

LuckyStrike
06-14-2007, 07:20 PM
With basement a/c you have to have the amps to run both compressors. Sounds like only one compressor is running.
Does your rig have a EMS (energy mgmt. system)?
If so with the a/c off turn it on and look at the number on the EMS, that number should spike for a minute then settle to a number between 15-20 amps while compressor 1 ramps up. In another minute or 2 you should hear compressor 2 fire up and the numbers on the EMS should spike again until #2 is settled in. At that point you should be able to look at the EMS and see exactly how many amps you are using.
If you are only drawing 30 amps or less thats not enough suds to run both compressors. You really need 50 to effectivly run both compressors on a basement a/c.
Also check to see if your air filter is clogged, or there may be shit in the way of the air intake.
Also you may have a leak in the ductwork behind the rear cap of the coach.
Yes It Does have the EMS....Yes Both Compressors are Running and I have 50 amp service at my house..My question is CAN/or Could the Coolant be INCREASED or if its off by lbs and Increased Would/Could It make a Difference.
Also would this be a AC unit typical to a Car Truck Ect or a Window/Stand Alone AC Unit..??

LuckyStrike
06-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Without knowing the specifics of the make/model it's hard to say if this is an A/C issue or just poor insulation. If you're leaking air or have too much heat soak through the roof/walls it doesn't matter how many BTU's you push. I'lkl second the notion of starting with simple stuff first. Make sure all your filters and vents are clear and that you're getting good air flow. Then check to make sure you're getting all the power you need to run both A/C units. Are we talking on the generator or shore power? We need more info...
The final possibility is that the units being in the floor is adding to the heat problem. Is the floor hot at all? My wife used to work at Monaco and said basement air units are notorius for being problematic in high heat situations.
I THINK THE R VALUE IS 0 ZERO 0 250,000.00 to sweat in AZ, I could have bought a F...ing 35.00 TENT

HighRoller
06-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Have you measured the temperature of the air coming from the vents at the unit? That would tell you a lot. Ask a tech from the RV dealer what it should be for your setup and go from there.

LuckyStrike
06-14-2007, 07:30 PM
AJ, Spend more time outside in the 110degree heat....then when you go back inside, the 86 will feel nice and cool!!! ;) .......I know this because my trailer hoovers about 90 in the peak of summer heat.....still feels good when you've been in the 115+ all day though. :D
RTJas :D
Jas Sorry I missed the G.Damn Run...:D :D You Guys Need to make a trip over this way for a change....Plenty of room:D :D

squirt'nmyload
06-14-2007, 07:38 PM
aj, ya coulda saved a bundle if ya took a page from this guys book. looks like his ac works :D :D :D
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/poor-man-ac.jpg

NdaWind
06-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Yes more soecifics. If you have an Alfa they had many problems with their basement units the first couple of years and I believe there is a fix. If your coach is not 100% in the shade get some of the reflecting material to put on the outside of the windows. Join Yahoo groups Diesel-RVs there are quite a few very experieced gentlemen on there always willing to help. I have heard that 26 degrees drop from ambient is typical for RV.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Diesel-RVs/?yguid=6545084

MBlaster
06-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Yes It Does have the EMS....Yes Both Compressors are Running and I have 50 amp service at my house..My question is CAN/or Could the Coolant be INCREASED or if its off by lbs and Increased Would/Could It make a Difference.
Also would this be a AC unit typical to a Car Truck Ect or a Window/Stand Alone AC Unit..??
If both compressors are running and you are getting good cold airflow, the coach should be cool. You need to find out what the temp is of the cooled air.
I tend to think you have a leak in the ductwork as the cool air leaves the a/c unit and travels behind the rear cap to the ceiling ducts.
Basement air is more akin to a home unit than a auto or stand alone. YOu need a good HVAC guy to check it out.
Do you have a winne or a alfa?
I'd have it professionally looked at. In the mean time I'd close up the slides if they are open. Less to cool that way.
I'm just thinking outloud...Are you getting a good puddle of water under the unit as a result of the condensation from the compressors running? Cause I think you should if its cooling well. I know my roof airs get alot of runoff out the gutters when they are cranking at Havi in summer.

LuckyStrike
06-15-2007, 05:14 AM
If both compressors are running and you are getting good cold airflow, the coach should be cool. You need to find out what the temp is of the cooled air.
I tend to think you have a leak in the ductwork as the cool air leaves the a/c unit and travels behind the rear cap to the ceiling ducts.
Basement air is more akin to a home unit than a auto or stand alone. YOu need a good HVAC guy to check it out.
Do you have a winne or a alfa?
I'd have it professionally looked at. In the mean time I'd close up the slides if they are open. Less to cool that way.
I'm just thinking outloud...Are you getting a good puddle of water under the unit as a result of the condensation from the compressors running? Cause I think you should if its cooling well. I know my roof airs get alot of runoff out the gutters when they are cranking at Havi in summer.
Its a new unit by National RV called Pacifica 4 slides.
Nice unit but the AC is killing me.
If in fact the duct work is off/blocked in the Rear cap. How would I inspect that..??

LuckyStrike
06-15-2007, 05:15 AM
By the way guys thanks for the help on this, the Dealer is a Dick:mad:

MBlaster
06-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Its a new unit by National RV called Pacifica 4 slides.
Nice unit but the AC is killing me.
If in fact the duct work is off/blocked in the Rear cap. How would I inspect that..??
I'd call the factory and tell them that the dealer is being a dick.
Especially if its a new rig thats still under warranty.
Fock I hate dealers.:mad:
RV quality being a hit and miss thing, nothing would suprise me.
Is it that the air isn't cold or you aren't getting enough volume of cold air?
If its a coleman unit maybe you could get customer support directly from them?