PDA

View Full Version : drive swap

79schiada
06-14-2007, 02:53 PM
I was wondering if anyone on the boards has ever swapped their pre-alpha drive out to an alpha drive before. I didn't know if the transom assembly is similar, or if I need to do alot of patching and re-work. I'm only powering the drive with a 350, so I figured the alpha would be my best bet. Any advantage between the gen. 1 and gen. 2?
thanks from a newbie!

Ryan00TJ
06-14-2007, 05:28 PM
The Alpha 1 will bolt right up with no modifications to any previous trasom assembly and bellhousing. The Gen 2 Alpha is not compatible with older TA's or the Alpha 1 setup. My boat originally came with a R drive setup. I blew it up with running nitrous and bought a new Alpha 1 in 92 to replace it. There is no modifications needed. Let me know if you have any questions I can help out.

79schiada
06-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Well that is some of the best news I've heard in awhile. Thanks for the heads-up and I might take you up on some advice when the swap gets closer.
:)

deeee
06-15-2007, 12:04 PM
You might want to check out stern drive engineering they make a after market drive that replaces mercruiser alpha and there alot cheaper.

79schiada
06-18-2007, 07:26 AM
You might want to check out stern drive engineering they make a after market drive that replaces mercruiser alpha and there alot cheaper.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into their drive and maybe save a few $$:D

Big Block
07-01-2007, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=Ryan00TJ;2620967]The Alpha 1 will bolt right up with no modifications to any previous trasom assembly and bellhousing.
Do you mean "any previous Merc. assy"? How about others like Johnson OMC. For example, I have an old 69' Shell Lake run about that had a no good 307 V-8 mated to a johnson omc. I would like to toss in a 350 with an Alpha, but if I have to re-do the transom I'm not quite sure it's worth all that. Sorry for the hi-jack. I'll start a new thread if needed.
Thanks, Greg

Bondo
07-04-2007, 07:24 AM
had a no good 307 V-8 mated to a johnson omc. I would like to toss in a 350 with an Alpha,
Nope,....... It Don't work that way.........

79schiada
07-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Been searching around to see if I should go to a bravo instead. I've noticed from some other posts that the swap to a bravo is easy, so I am tempted to go that way. I think the boat is worth the investment, its the same as my forum name, a '79, 21' schiada. I was also wondering what others thought about the 383/bravo 1 drive combo that seems to be selling for around $12K. I don't want to part with that much dough, but was thinking it may be worth it because of what its going in and I would like the extra MPH. Anybody have any experience with the 383 set-up? THANKS!

BadKachina
07-08-2007, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=Ryan00TJ;2620967]The Alpha 1 will bolt right up with no modifications to any previous trasom assembly and bellhousing.
Do you mean "any previous Merc. assy"? How about others like Johnson OMC. For example, I have an old 69' Shell Lake run about that had a no good 307 V-8 mated to a johnson omc. I would like to toss in a 350 with an Alpha, but if I have to re-do the transom I'm not quite sure it's worth all that. Sorry for the hi-jack. I'll start a new thread if needed.
Thanks, Greg
Mercury makes an adapter plate to convert other drives to Mercruiser drives (alpha or bravo). Part # 827691A1

79schiada
09-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Been searching around to see if I should go to a bravo instead. I've noticed from some other posts that the swap to a bravo is easy, so I am tempted to go that way. I think the boat is worth the investment, its the same as my forum name, a '79, 21' schiada. I was also wondering what others thought about the 383/bravo 1 drive combo that seems to be selling for around $12K. I don't want to part with that much dough, but was thinking it may be worth it because of what its going in and I would like the extra MPH. Anybody have any experience with the 383 set-up? THANKS!
Well, I decided to go with a bravo 1 to replace my old 260 drive. I'm still looking to pick up a transom assembly, and will eventually go with a reman 383. My big question I wanted to get resolution on early is what is the "X" dimension and should I be worried about it when replacing the 260 drive with the bravo? The boat in question is a 21' Schiada RC, and I don't know if I should just leave the transom location as is when swapping the assemblies.
Thanks!!!!:)

Ryan00TJ
09-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Well, I decided to go with a bravo 1 to replace my old 260 drive. I'm still looking to pick up a transom assembly, and will eventually go with a reman 383. My big question I wanted to get resolution on early is what is the "X" dimension and should I be worried about it when replacing the 260 drive with the bravo? The boat in question is a 21' Schiada RC, and I don't know if I should just leave the transom location as is when swapping the assemblies.
Thanks!!!!:)
A Bravo and Alpha have the same dimension from ujoint to prop shaft centerline. So in theory swapping in a Bravo setup will keep the same X dimension you had before with the Alpha. Raising the X on your boat is a major $$$$ undertaking and should be thought out before attempting. I would research into the aspect and see what works and what does not. Knowledgeable hull experts familiar with the hull should be able to help.

pocketchange 22
09-17-2007, 04:42 PM
You'll thank yourself. If your going 2 spend the cash, go with the Merc; package. (383 w/ Bravo 1) Run a power to it and go with a warenty. Simple fuel efficiant, and reliable!

79schiada
09-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Hey guys, thanks again for the heads-up on the how-to's. Hopefully, I'll be posting a couple of pics as I work the boat over this winter. I didn't get out on the water this year. Too much work and I didn't trust the old drive. But this one aught to be ready for next summer! :D

pocketchange 22
09-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Good luck, I did mine last winter, take your time, don't half ass it.
It's a walk in the park.:devil:

79schiada
09-27-2007, 04:04 PM
If I can get a pull-off bravo HP transom assembly with low hours instead of a new standard transom assembly, for the same cost, would that be worthwhile? Is the HP that much better of a transom assembly, or with the 383 should I even be worried? Thanks:)