PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Chicken

Fire Angler
06-14-2007, 04:16 PM
OK, Who has a recipe for Chicken on the BBQ? It seems every time I cook chicken on the BBQ, it comes out kind of dry, so lets hear how to make it nice and juicy.
I need to cut down on my carney and Ribeyes. :mad:

Tom Brown
06-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Any questions regarding either chicken or watermellon should be directed to 396 Ways to Spit.

AZKC
06-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Medium heat & turn often. Get one of those digital thermometers with the probe. They even sell wireless ones now.
http://www.weatherconnect.com/scripts/imageloader.asp?img=00667p.gif&type=p

Sleek-Jet
06-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Marinate it or Brine it... will keep the chicken nice and moist and taste...

Not So Fast
06-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Stick a beer can up its>>>> No kidding, but I would use one of the new type beercan holders instead of a real beer can but it does make for a tasty bird!! I assume you know what Im talking about right?? NSF

DMOORE
06-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Marinate in beer for 30min. Med heat, and don't put the sauce on until the last 5 minutes.
Darrell.

Sleek-Jet
06-14-2007, 04:30 PM
This is one of ACR's recipe's I use all the time...
Island Delight Chicken
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts,
1/4 cup orange juice,
2 tbl lime juice,
2 tbls mango chutney,
2 t. grated ginger,
2 tbl olive oil,
1/2 t. hot pepper sauce,
1 t. minced oregano,
2 minced garlic cloves-
in a large bowl combine all ingredients and pour into a large zip lock bag. Add chicken, toss well and allow it to marinate over night. Grill over medium/high heat and serve with wild rice and grilled asapargus. for kids chop into small pieces and stick with a toothpick

Fire Angler
06-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Damn, That sounds Great! What is the cook time on this?

Sleek-Jet
06-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Damn, That sounds Great! What is the cook time on this?
How ever long it takes... :D 15 minutes or so... :idea:

Brewzed
06-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Stick a beer can up its>>>> No kidding, but I would use one of the new type beercan holders instead of a real beer can but it does make for a tasty bird!! I assume you know what Im talking about right?? NSF
That's the only way to do it. Good stuff. They used to sell the racks at Wal Mart, don't know if they still do. I usally throw garlic and other spices in the beer.

BoneDaddy
06-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Buy a whole chicken at the store.
Grill on low heat for 40 minutes turning often.
Turn heat up to high and get your Bulls Eye BBQ sauce ready.
Grill on high heat for 5-10 minutes while constantly coating with sauce and turning.:)

Chico&Zeus
06-14-2007, 05:30 PM
For breasts, I get the grill HOT, like 400-500 degrees, sear both sides, then cut the heat to low. Filp them often and baste with BBQ sauce, by the time the grill cools down the breasts are done and they are juicy as hell.

3 daytona`s
06-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Any questions regarding either chicken or watermellon should be directed to 396 Ways to Spit.
you are on a roll:)

ahhell
06-14-2007, 06:08 PM
For breasts, I get the grill HOT, like 400-500 degrees, sear both sides, then cut the heat to low. Filp them often and baste with BBQ sauce, by the time the grill cools down the breasts are done and they are juicy as hell.
Amen...and keep the skin on
keep it simple...1 part salt, 1 part pepper, 1part paprika, 1 part brown sugar, blend and sprinkle

pixilatedpussy
06-14-2007, 06:28 PM
OK, Who has a recipe for Chicken on the BBQ? It seems every time I cook chicken on the BBQ, it comes out kind of dry, so lets hear how to make it nice and juicy.
I need to cut down on my carney and Ribeyes. :mad:
Mine is easy & quick....marinate chix with the skin on in a ziplock with a 1/2 jar of BBQ sauce & approx the same soy sauce. Always comes out tender.;)

Phat Matt
06-14-2007, 06:49 PM
That's the only way to do it. Good stuff. They used to sell the racks at Wal Mart, don't know if they still do. I usally throw garlic and other spices in the beer.
This is the best way for it to be moist and juicy on the inside and nice and crispy on the outside. It is awesome. :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-14-2007, 06:53 PM
when I do our chicken I marinade it in Garlic and Terryaki sauce and purple onion for 2 hrs.
When I put it on the BBQ I put the flame on Low and keep the lid open about 1/2 to 1" so it doesn't cook too fast or burn. I flip it every 5 mins. for about 20- 30 mins. Perfect and Juicy:D

YeLLowBoaT
06-14-2007, 06:55 PM
low indrict heat and longer cooking times.

totenhosen
06-14-2007, 07:10 PM
beer can chicken! Get Webers Big Book of Grilling

Ivan Dan
06-14-2007, 10:51 PM
This has to be my favorite marinade right now for boneless/skinless chicken breasts. Well worth the $3 for the bottle at your local grocery store.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Lawry_s.jpg

voodoomedman
06-15-2007, 06:28 AM
Rotisserie. Have an infrared back burner on my grill. I get two chickens for 8 bucks from Sam's club. Rub the $hit out of it with pepper, season all, garlic powder, oregano and whatever other spice looks good at the time. I rub it in the cavities and under the arms, basically everywhere. Turn on the back burner on low and just let the thing turn for about 2 and a half hours and everybody just raves about it.

BshyBvrGirl
06-15-2007, 07:14 AM
eh hemm...when exactly are you planning on cooking that :D

a catered life
06-15-2007, 07:15 AM
its nice to see one of my old recipe's surface glad your enjoying it.....i do the beer can thing for the kids a lot they love it
here are a few simple rules to grilling chicken
1. if it a boneless breast grill it like a steak on direct med/hot temp
2. try not to turn anything more than 2-3 times the more you touch your meat the more the natural juicies come out (that sounded real nasty) which may make you end product dry
3. if it a whole chicken either use the beer can method or split it down the breast and remember to crack both side of the back bone so it will lay flat on the grill and cook 3/4 of the way off direct heat and finish over the fire
4. also for thick parts of the chicken marinade for atleast 45 min...becareful when mixing some items remember there is a lot of salt in most jar/bottle items
5. and the most important watch your fire flare ups are not good for chicken they generally cause you skin to burn and not be cooked inside
as far as a recipe it seems like you got a lot of help but i will let a catering secert out of the bag tequilla lime marinade lawrys is the best and i lot of caterers use it also olive oil base italian dressing is another cateres love

EXTRMBT
06-15-2007, 07:16 AM
The receipt I use is HOG TIED CHICKEN. 3 to 4 raw bacon strips per breast wrapped tight around a medium to large breast (boneless) marinade in beer, and whatever you want. secured with 1 or 2 toothpicks. Med-Med high about 20 minutes or so each side turning about every 10 minutes. Usually done when bacon is dark, dark brown. Serve with dirty rice or red potatoes. Bacon holds in the moisture and also giving it great flavor.
Enjoy!

91nordic29
06-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Beer can method is great.
I also grill whole birds in a foil pan. Stuffed the bird with onions and celery and some bbq sauce inside. Put some water in the foil pan and make sure it doesnt run dry. Keep the heat on high and lid closed until the skin turns brown. then cook on low for about 1 hr. add bbq sauce for the last 15 minutes so it doesnt burn. juicy, juicy, juicy. and simple:D

BajaMike
06-15-2007, 07:27 AM
I think the only way to BBQ chicken without it drying out is the "Beer Can Chicken" or "Beer in the Butt Chickent".....only works with a whole chicken.
This basic variation of the "beer in the butt" chicken recipe combines the flavors of a great spice rub with the flavors steamed out of the beer can.
INGREDIENTS:
• 1 whole chicken (4-5 pounds)
• 1 12 ounce can beer (room temperature)
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
• Juice of 1 lemon
• For Rub:
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
• 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
PREPARATION:
Comnine all rub ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
Remove giblets and the neck from chicken. Sprinkle all over with rub, including cavity. Open can of beer and discard half of it. Place, minced garlic, rosemary, thyme, lemon juice, and pepper flakes in it.
Preheat grill. Place birds grill balanced by the beer cans. Grill over indirect medium heat for 1 1/2 hours or until internal temperature of thigh is 180 degrees. Remove chicken when finished cooking and let sit (with beer can still intact), for 10 minutes before carving.
If you don't want to do this, bake the chicken parts in the oven at 350 for about thirty minutes, then BBQ the last 10 minutes on the grill with lots of sauce.

Sleek-Jet
06-15-2007, 07:49 AM
eh hemm...when exactly are you planning on cooking that :D
One of these days... patience my dear... :D

Fire Angler
06-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions and recipes! I'll have to try one or two of them out in Parker next week :D

Phat Matt
06-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions and recipes! I'll have to try one or two of them out in Parker next week :D
You should have said you were doing it in Parker. Just wrap it in foil and throw it on top of your trailer in the morning. Go boating and pull it off at the end of the day. Should be about perfect. ;)

Fire Angler
06-15-2007, 03:11 PM
You should have said you were doing it in Parker. Just wrap it in foil and throw it on top of your trailer in the morning. Go boating and pull it off at the end of the day. Should be about perfect. ;)
That's the type of tip I was looking for! :D

Schiada76
06-15-2007, 03:34 PM
It's simple.
Stack the chicken pieces in one pile on the grill, low heat, lid closed, turn when the pieces on the bottom brown a little, repeat until done, keep a squirt bottle handy for flare ups. If you don't have a squirt bottle poke holes in the cap on a water bottle with a sharp knife, don't stab your hand.
Do not put the BBQ sauce on until it's close to done or you'll burn the sauce.:D