PDA

View Full Version : Winterization advice

Goosby Scroggins
10-12-2001, 04:12 PM
We have a 2001 Volvo Penta 496 HO with a DPX outdrive (aka DPX420) and would like some advice on the winterization process.
The water left in the exhaust manifolds and the raw water pump needs to be drained, and have heard that there may be a pump made for this purpose.
V-P's advice was nill. They would only say to take it to a dealer, but we'd like to get it done now - as it's getting cold out there!!

tahoe22
10-15-2001, 12:05 PM
First off start the engine & run it dry for about 30 seconds this should get most of the water out. Second close off all valves & fill your block with antifreeze until it overflows, this will elimante your block freezing, and then cracking. I also wash & wax, change the oil & filter, grease all zerts, & place an opened box or two of baking soda (absorbs moisture)in the boat before I cover it up & put it away for hibernation, in the garage. I'm on the left coast & freezing isnt much of a problem out here, but hope this helps. This is about the only things I do.

rivercrazy
10-15-2001, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't start it without water. You'll burn up the prewater pump impeller. (been there done that!)

tahoe22
10-15-2001, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy:
I wouldn't start it without water. You'll burn up the prewater pump impeller. (been there done that!)
So how do you winterize your boat?
Do you leave the river with your block full of water? I have always blown out my motor after loading the boat on the trailer @ the launch ramp.

rivercrazy
10-15-2001, 02:21 PM
Unless your running in saltwater or store the boat in freezing weather, I doubt is would cause much corrosion.
I think most marine exhaust and engine blocks have threaded plugs that can be removed to let water drain.

superdave013
10-16-2001, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy:
Unless your running in saltwater or store the boat in freezing weather, I doubt is would cause much corrosion.
I think most marine exhaust and engine blocks have threaded plugs that can be removed to let water drain.
rivercrazy is correct. remove the pulgs from the block and exhaust manafolds. You might have to poke something in the holes to get the crud out of the way to get it to drain.
Outdrive, well I'm not an outdrive guy but I would think you should change the oil in it at this time too.
Or you could do what I did. I moved to someplace that's warm all year. Ya, boating in Feb is great!

nitro557
10-17-2001, 11:51 AM
buy a flusher that hooks a garden hose to your outdrive then get a empty 5gal bucket and a section of garden hose and a thru hull put the thru hull in the bottom side of the bucket and hook the hose to it , fire up the motor on the garden hose like normal let it get warm shut it down and change the oil in the engine and drian all the plugs on the motor 2 on the block one on each manifold and if like the mercruise one at the fuel pump, if nothing comes out of the plug stick it with a drill bit to remove sediment so it can drian, put all the plugs back in -dont forget to put oil back in the motor , this time hook the motor flusher to the bucket and set the bucket on the swim platform before you fire it pour a gallon or 2 of antifreeze into the bucket fire the motor and run 5 gallons of antifreeze thru it when down to the last gallon start to spray fogging oil down the carb or throttle body and kill the motor / your done