PDA

View Full Version : Team Hawaiian

HPBoats83
06-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Yes I own one of them. It was my first boat I had ever owned and understood when I was buying it that it wasn't an eliminator or anything with a brand name; however, I didn't know how bad it was until I got it home. My real question is, if I have somebody competent completely re-rig the boat and have somebody re-do the upholstery in the boat (as it falls apart) I would be taking almost everything "team hawaiian" out of it, right? I have talked to a few people (pretty reputable) and they have looked at the hull of the boat and said it was built pretty solid. I was very suprised to hear that; however, does anybody know different or had any problems with the actual "team hawaiian" hull? Basically what it boils down to is I can't afford to go buy something better right now, so I would like to hold on to the boat and take everything "team hawaiian" out of it and make it a boat to be proud of!
P.S. I know it's a piece of shit!

dicudmore
06-14-2007, 06:15 PM
why re-rig the boat if it works now? Just have fun with it, if something breaks, fix it...
Having the boat re-rigged to the T's of a ________ <-----insert favorite builder here, will not change the performance, resale, safety etc of the boat. Unless you have something that is "dangerous" and needs to be addressed just drive the damn thing...

76ANTHONY
06-14-2007, 06:18 PM
why re-rig the boat if it works now? Just have fun with it, if something breaks, fix it...
Having the boat re-rigged to the T's of a ________ <-----insert favorite builder here, will not change the performance, resale, safety etc of the boat. Unless you have something that is "dangerous" and needs to be addressed just drive the damn thing...
ditto..
what is it about the boat that has got ya so upset about it? its not the best boat on the water but it should work. what issues does it have?

HPBoats83
06-14-2007, 06:24 PM
I hate the rigging in the boat! There are some things in there that I have had to secure myself with SS clamps because it was a short waiting to happen. That would be a big peace of mind thing for me. All in all though the boat has been pretty good to me. I was reading some past threads on here about how thin the hull was and got me concerned. I just want to make sure it's safe.

76ANTHONY
06-14-2007, 06:29 PM
I hate the rigging in the boat! There are some things in there that I have had to secure myself with SS clamps because it was a short waiting to happen. That would be a big peace of mind thing for me. All in all though the boat has been pretty good to me. I was reading some past threads on here about how thin the hull was and got me concerned. I just want to make sure it's safe.
you might just wanna take it to a good shop and have them check it over and make adjustments and reroute some wiring. i dont think you have a huge issue, just need piece of mind.

HPBoats83
06-14-2007, 06:35 PM
I had a shop do that for me once already and he did really nice work, he put all the wiring in conduit w/ adell clamps around it. He told me to put all new wiring in that boat he was only going to charge me like 13-1500. That seems like a better deal to me then the 500 I just spent to have SOME of the wires cleaned up.

CBadDad
06-14-2007, 06:39 PM
It's summer time. That means it's boating season. Get out there and enjoy the water. If something breaks, fix it. If you can't stand something, then wrench on it between trips. But don't sweat the small stuff. It's your first boat. Have fun.
If you really hate it, you're better off trying to sell the boat then fixing it up, because it won't help your resale value. Good luck.

meaniam
06-14-2007, 07:08 PM
did you buy that thing at pomona car show swap meet? i saw one for sale down there last month.

HPBoats83
06-14-2007, 07:22 PM
No. I have had mine for 2 years now. I bought the boat used with 50 hours and a crate engine. I do know it is a crate engine because I saw it out of the boat on the crate. I have put every hour on the boat and have run royal purple in it the whole time, so it run's like a champ. It's the boat in my avatar.

Froggystyle
06-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Some good advice already.
If you are handy, I will be glad to show you how to fix some of the stuff yourself. If you are used to working on things and just lack the basics of boat wiring etc... I will be glad to get you pointed in the right direction.
Interior is just where you sit. It doesn't really effect the safety as long as the seats are at least solid.
I personally wouldn't lay a finger on it. Sell it as is, and buy a used boat from a more reputable builder. It isn't going to increase in value, and if it isn't breaking, I wouldn't dump money into if you don't love the boat.
I hate to hear stories like this, and hope that you can get out of it before you spend too much on it.
Let me know if you need help.

HPBoats83
06-14-2007, 07:32 PM
The problem is getting rid of it because of the reputation of the boat manufacturer. Nobody wants to have that thing but all in all it's a decent boat. I was just more concerned about the hull of the boat being solid as I mentioned in my original post. Anybody heard anything really bad about the hulls and what not.

Froggystyle
06-14-2007, 07:39 PM
The problem is getting rid of it because of the reputation of the boat manufacturer. Nobody wants to have that thing but all in all it's a decent boat. I was just more concerned about the hull of the boat being solid as I mentioned in my original post. Anybody heard anything really bad about the hulls and what not.
I wouldn't count on it offshore, but I have never actually heard of a Hawaiian breaking up. Can't say that about other brands... even some very popular ones.
Think of it this way... you bought it. There is an ass for every seat. Keep it clean, maintain it and you will find a buyer. Advertising is cheap.

dunaholic
06-14-2007, 09:26 PM
What kind of motor does it have in it?

HPBoats83
06-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Volvo 7.4GSI 454 - 385HP with a volvo dps drive

76ANTHONY
06-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Volvo 7.4GSI 454 - 385HP with a volvo dps drive
keep her runnin and put a nice sound system in it and bump it, hell it doesnt look like a bad boat, just keep her clean and runnin right....:D

VEGASBABY
06-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Hey bro, dont sweat it, do like everyone says enjoy it till it breaks. The HB folks on here dont care if it is not a brand name boat,we just want to see you on the water. And as far as selling your boat, hell everyone needs a first boat and may not be able to afford what they really want, but its a start. One of my best friends bought a Team Hawaiian 24 footer just to learn the ropes, and know he own a 27ft Cobra Razor, gotta start somewhere:D

HPBoats83
06-15-2007, 09:03 AM
thanks for everybodys input

Bullship
06-15-2007, 09:54 AM
HPBoat83, I also own a 24 foot Team Hawaiian but mine has a 502 and a bluprinted jet. I bought mine new in 2001 directly from Team Hawaiian. I have never had any issues with the boat other than problems related to the demon carb when the boat was brand new. I had that issue fixed by Greg Shoemaker who felt it was a decent boat for the money (I sure you know his reputation) I also had very positive comments on my boat from Frank Place and his sons (the owners of Place Diverters) they thought at first glance it was an Eliminator ,lol. Don't be concerned about the strength of the hull. I had an occasion to accidently test mine. I was making a u turn on a narrow spot on the river,thought I wasn't going to make it so put the jet drive in reverse to try to stop it. The boat straightened out and went up on the rocky beach the only thing still in the water was the diverter. The hull was high and dry. I thought I had destroyed the boat. I had it pulled back into the water put it on the trailer and took it home. I crawled under it and all I found was a couple of small scratches and didn't even go thru the gel. Although I have also read negatives on this site about T.H. I recall most were about business practices and not boat quality. People that have knocked the quality probably don't have anything to back it up. No it is not the level of a Lavey or an Eliminator or a Shockwave but I believe it is a decent boat for the price, probably comparable to a Cheetah or a Commander. It is a safe dependable boat you can have fun with. There are many local T.H. owners who love their boats but don't post here. As I said the biggest issue was with the owner tendancy to B.S. his customers however I stayed on it and got everything I paid for it just took longer than expected if you want to talk sent me a private message and we can talk.

LGCDEVIL
06-15-2007, 10:10 AM
HPBoat83, I also own a 24 foot Team Hawaiian but mine has a 502 and a bluprinted jet. I bought mine new in 2001 directly from Team Hawaiian. I have never had any issues with the boat other than problems related to the demon carb when the boat was brand new. I had that issue fixed by Greg Shoemaker who felt it was a decent boat for the money (I sure you know his reputation) I also had very positive comments on my boat from Frank Place and his sons (the owners of Place Diverters) they thought at first glance it was an Eliminator ,lol. Don't be concerned about the strength of the hull. I had an occasion to accidently test mine. I was making a u turn on a narrow spot on the river,thought I wasn't going to make it so put the jet drive in reverse to try to stop it. The boat straightened out and went up on the rocky beach the only thing still in the water was the diverter. The hull was high and dry. I thought I had destroyed the boat. I had it pulled back into the water put it on the trailer and took it home. I crawled under it and all I found was a couple of small scratches and didn't even go thru the gel. Although I have also read negatives on this site about T.H. I recall most were about business practices and not boat quality. People that have knocked the quality probably don't have anything to back it up. No it is not the level of a Lavey or an Eliminator or a Shockwave but I believe it is a decent boat for the price, probably comparable to a Cheetah or a Commander. It is a safe dependable boat you can have fun with. There are many local T.H. owners who love their boats but don't post here. As I said the biggest issue was with the owner tendancy to B.S. his customers however I stayed on it and got everything I paid for it just took longer than expected if you want to talk sent me a private message and we can talk.
How's your boat run with the jet? HP & speed.

Bullship
06-15-2007, 10:29 AM
How's your boat run with the jet? HP & speed.
I have 415hp Marine Power 502. The boat rides great turns nice pulls a skier up great. Speed by my non GPS Speedo reads about 60 top end.

76ANTHONY
06-15-2007, 10:56 AM
I have 415hp Marine Power 502. The boat rides great turns nice pulls a skier up great. Speed by my non GPS Speedo reads about 60 top end.
nothin wrong with those numbers...

Legal Chemistry
06-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Sounds 'bot right... I have a '96 w/454 MP HO. Spins an "A" ~4800-4900, which is around low 50's w/gas and everything on board.
Anthony or HP, do you have any pics? I wouldn't like to see what they have done with the interior over the last few years.
I bought my boat used. Paid, what I thought to be a fair price, and have been happy more or less. The problems I've had were most likely from the previous owner so I can't bag on the manufacturer too much. The boat is also 10 years old... sh!t just happens as well. The negative talk that I've seen on this board tends to be about a shady past -I haven't really heard much about the craftsmanship (again, it's not the best -but you do get what you pay for.)

HPBoats83
06-15-2007, 04:05 PM
I don't have any interior pics right now but I will put some up this weekend. I am having one of the new dana shifters installed right now.

Bullship
06-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Sounds 'bot right... I have a '96 w/454 MP HO. Spins an "A" ~4800-4900, which is around low 50's w/gas and everything on board.
Anthony or HP, do you have any pics? I wouldn't like to see what they have done with the interior over the last few years.
I bought my boat used. Paid, what I thought to be a fair price, and have been happy more or less. The problems I've had were most likely from the previous owner so I can't bag on the manufacturer too much. The boat is also 10 years old... sh!t just happens as well. The negative talk that I've seen on this board tends to be about a shady past -I haven't really heard much about the craftsmanship (again, it's not the best -but you do get what you pay for.)
If you look up threads started by user HPB he posted many pictures of his boat.

HPBoats83
06-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Sorry it's a little dirty, but here is the interior pics I told Legal Chemistry I would put up.

LGCDEVIL
06-19-2007, 03:12 PM

455Rocket
06-19-2007, 03:28 PM
If you're that worred about it you could pull the interior and inspect the hull for separation at the cap, cracks etc.. yourself.
In my opinion, someone attempting to build a boat would have to be comfortable in his knowledge of how to put the damn thing together, not necessarily rigging. I assume they did a decent mfg. job, but had some hack do the rigging. In a small shop more attention could have been paid to the hull than some of the busier builders? Who knows, but I would sell it now if you're not happy with it, rather than invest more cash.
This builder is still making boats no? I think I remember looking at a splash of a 1980's era 21' jet at the LA show. Price was right...