PDA

View Full Version : Specs needed for a Marine power 454

Rocknpalms
02-13-2006, 08:15 PM
The model is a J454S-Cal. The motor was installed in 96 and is a Mark V. I looked on there web site and they no longer list this motor. I am going to up the HP a bit and would like the engine builder to know the specs before I purchase parts and dig into it. I am looking to get about 500hp.

Jetmugg
02-13-2006, 08:33 PM
The Mark V / Gen 5 engines are a bit unique in the BBC lineup. I think they were only available for a few years (mid 90's). They are peculiar in the head gasket area. I used to know the details, but have forgotten some (the mind is a terrible thing to lose). You should pick up one or more of the BBC engine building books for the details.
You have to be careful about which heads you have and which you want to use with a Gen 5 block. Not all head/gasket/intakes will work on these blocks. You have to use the correct combination of parts to make sure that you don't have any leaks. Someone here probably has more information about the Gen 5's, I'm just trying to share what I know.
SteveM.

sdba069
02-13-2006, 09:31 PM
I believe I still have all my old Marine Power books with the specs that you need. I'll check when I get in the shop tomorrow. Drop me an email at snowman069@hotmail.com and let me know what all you need.

victorfb
02-15-2006, 02:03 AM
franz. the gen5 block was infact short lived, but the gen6 is basically the same. unfortunatly you most likely have the small peanut port heads. but dont fret, there are ways to make a mark4 head work on your block. but in all things aside id recommend you go with some edelbrock marine heads. a few bucks spent now will gain you alot of performance. and yes many will come on here to argue the aluminum head arguement. but i think for what your after youll be pleased with the edelbrocks. (especially with some mild porting). but before you dig too far into this look too see what oil pan you have. the oil as you know is the life line to your motor. a good "dooley 10 qrt" or something comperable will be a must. also with the gen5 block you are forced to use an electric fuel pump. with the 500 hp your after id recommend a good pump. i like the mallory pumps and have good luck with them. make sure you use a good preasure regulater aswell. in a previous post i also mentioned a turbo set up, and as you know with any motor set up you need to make all parts compatable. time to make some serious decisions on what you want to do and purchase. just dont fall into the "im gunna put this and that and a set of those" and think you will gain anything. its all a matter of making a good package that will perform to your satifaction.

Rocknpalms
02-15-2006, 07:22 AM
You just started my mind going nuts on this turbo thing. Need more info. I would like a proven kit. Not interested inventing a new wheel.

Nucking futs
02-15-2006, 07:55 AM
just use the boat as is and see if you even like it. Why spend all this money on a boat that your not even sure of the performance? The Marine power engines non hp have all cast parts in them and don't like upgrades to much. when mine was bone stock I beat the hell out of it for 2 years. I have a marine power book with all the specs if you need it I can get it to your brother for you to look through.
Tim

sdba069
02-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Sorry I didn't get back to you with the info you needed, but after a 5 hour stay in the emergency room with a concussion, things kinda got sidetracked. I will still get whatever info you need, if you want me to.

Rocknpalms
02-15-2006, 02:00 PM
just use the boat as is and see if you even like it. Why spend all this money on a boat that your not even sure of the performance? The Marine power engines non hp have all cast parts in them and don't like upgrades to much. when mine was bone stock I beat the hell out of it for 2 years. I have a marine power book with all the specs if you need it I can get it to your brother for you to look through.
Tim
Naturally I will use the boat first. Monday is test day. I know in the long run 55-60 is a little slow. I got most of the specs I needed direct thru Marine Power. All cast yuk! Thank for the offer though.

Rocknpalms
02-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you with the info you needed, but after a 5 hour stay in the emergency room with a concussion, things kinda got sidetracked. I will still get whatever info you need, if you want me to.
No thanks, I have found what I was looking for. Hope you are doing beter now. I remember a day like that also.

SmokinLowriderSS
02-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Tim
Don't bad-mouth cast pieces too much, they are better than they get credit for.
The cast 8.5:1 pistons are only good for 5 to 7 pounds of boost, sure. They will only handle about 150 HP in Nitrous boost (yes, that's the upper limit, Dad & I fed mine 75HP nitrous for 26 years).
That cast steel crank will take a lot of HP as long as you are doing it under 6 to 7,000 RPM. The perf folks here (including boat hi-perf engine builders) have no qualms with my trying to spin my cast steel crank (27 years old) to 5,500 or so closing on 500HP after my heads get ported. She spent a fair bit of time @ 5300 on the nitrous.
The con rods are good solid steel forgings, the weak point being the knurled 3/8" rod bolts. Mine went to good quality (not the top quality) ARP's. Should be every bit as solid as the factory hi-perf 7/16" boron steel bolts of the "good old days".

Nucking futs
02-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Don't bad-mouth cast pieces too much, they are better than they get credit for.
The cast 8.5:1 pistons are only good for 5 to 7 pounds of boost, sure. They will only handle about 150 HP in Nitrous boost (yes, that's the upper limit, Dad & I fed mine 75HP nitrous for 26 years).
That cast steel crank will take a lot of HP as long as you are doing it under 6 to 7,000 RPM. The perf folks here (including boat hi-perf engine builders) have no qualms with my trying to spin my cast steel crank (27 years old) to 5,500 or so closing on 500HP after my heads get ported. She spent a fair bit of time @ 5300 on the nitrous.
The con rods are good solid steel forgings, the weak point being the knurled 3/8" rod bolts. Mine went to good quality (not the top quality) ARP's. Should be every bit as solid as the factory hi-perf 7/16" boron steel bolts of the "good old days".
Dude, check yourself...Cast sucks period !! I meant pistons not parts, but whos knit picking anyways. kiss a piston with the valve on a cast piston and a forged piston, tell me which one looks like popcorn in the bottom of my pan.Been there done that The rods and cranks are ok for midlevel shit I agree, But if your going to build why not buy the best that fits within ones budget ? Good luck with that. :cool: