PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 4.8L or 5.3L

n8dawg
06-14-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm looking at getting a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton, lifted. So I need some input about both of these motors. I've tow'd my 19ft jet boat with the 5.3 up grades but I would like to know how the 4.8 does while towing up steep grades with the A/C on ect.
Thanks in advance.
Currently towing boat with a 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport with the 5.2 V8, Piece of you know what... not happy at all with it's towing capacity. Going back to Chevy.:)

VDRIVERACING
06-14-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm looking at getting a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton, lifted. So I need some input about both of these motors. I've tow'd my 19ft jet boat with the 5.3 up grades but I would like to know how the 4.8 does while towing up steep grades with the A/C on ect.
Thanks in advance.
Currently towing boat with a 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport with the 5.2 V8, Piece of you know what... not happy at all with it's towing capacity. Going back to Chevy.:)
Then you're gonna be real unhappy with the 4.8. I wouldn't settle for less than the 5.3, and with 4.10 gears at that. I have a 2004 Tahoe 5.3 4wd with 3.73's towing a 21' Vdrive(what else!), and it gets the job done, but I sure wish I had bought it with the deeper gears. And if your new truck has large wheels, it will only magnify any shortfall in gearing....

socalmofo
06-15-2007, 09:06 AM
I had an 01' Silverado Extra Cab lifted on 35's with a 4.8 (Re-Geared to 4:56) - Towed my 24' Boat, prob near 5k with Trailer, Boat and All Gear. Also towed a 20' Toy Hauler. Towing a jet boat will be no problem with either engine. Obviously get the 5.3 if you can swing it.

natevortec
06-15-2007, 10:04 PM
5.3 its the only way to go.... or a diesel

OCMerrill
06-16-2007, 05:24 PM
So lets convert these huge CC engines into cubic inches.
4.8 = 293
5.3 = 323
Massive powerplants arn't they.
The good old marketing of the metric system gets us all thinking that these are big engines. The only way to make usefull power is to spin them fast. So be ready to see the tach needle in the 3-4K range most of your trip.
We own a 5.3 in our Yukon with 3:73's. Not very impressive tow-er with our light lavey behind. But once I understood that I am dealing with less than a 327 I calm down. There is no other larger choice in powerplants either.
I could just not imagine pulling a Toy hauler with a 4.8 running 35's. Not saying it could not be done but what an agravating sit in the seat that would be. At least for me.
Stay away from that 4.8.

HighRoller
06-16-2007, 08:38 PM
The 5.3 pulls hills really good on grades with a small boat because you can pull it down a gear or two and let the RPM's do the work. The bummer is on small hills where the engine doesn't have the torque to pull OD and you have to slow down to pull 3rd. The 4.8 will pull that boat but I'd get the 5.3 because you have to figure in the extra weight for people and gear plus the fact that it's hot in the summer. Make sure you get a good exhaust and a K&N filter too. They are worth 2+ mpg on the 5.3.

epeagle
06-18-2007, 05:31 PM
my 5.3 has been ok pulling my 26ft boat. i wish i would of opted for the 4.1 gears though...
my transmission temp hit 245 going over the grapevine.

n8dawg
06-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Well thanks for all the input everyone. After much looking and driving trucks all weekend long. My fiance' and I decided on a 2002 Chevy 1500 LS with the 5.3. Our first trip is this weekend up to Lake San Antonio. We'll see how it does pulling our boat and loaded with all our gear up the Questa Grade. I'm thinking it wont be a problem:D finally a truck that takes all the towing stress away compared to my Dodge Dakota - windows down, heater on...F - that!!!! I'm over it! Ready to ride in style.
That diesel will just have to hold off for a couple of years!:mad:
Thanks again.
Nate

voodoomedman
06-19-2007, 06:56 AM
I know I'm late to chime in but I have a 4.8 on 35's. If you can go bigger then do it of course. I'd love to have the 6 litre then I wouldn't have to worry about upgrading later :D With that said I got the 4.8 because that is what I could get at the time with the color of the truck. Non-stock color that you basically have to kill somebody to get. Anyways it's up on 35's with a 4.56 ratio. Flowmaster cat-back and K&N intake. I can go up Cajon Pass towing 60 no problem with the air on. Now if I punch it then it isn't going to jump anywhere but be a very slow steady increase in speed. But it gets the job done. That is with a boat weighing around 5k on the trailer so a 21 footer should be just fine. If I did the tow every weekend I'm not sure if I would have upgraded already. If I had a bigger boat I for sure would have.

HitIt
06-19-2007, 07:00 AM
I think you are going to be happy with it. I have a 2003 2wd 1500 LS extended cab with a 5.3. Just went over the grapevine and this weekend with a 22' cruiser full of gas. Was able to go over 60 the whole time. I am not saying that the truck did it effortlessly but it pulled fine. Coming back (the first part of the grapvine is steeper) I decided to give the truck a break and let it shift down to second. 45 MPH, 3K rpm, temp didnt budge. I would really like a diesel but overall, I think it works fine.
When you are "trailer mode" the damn thing wont shift out of second till it is wound out way higher than sounds right though. Anyone else notice this with their truck?

voodoomedman
06-19-2007, 07:18 AM
I think you are going to be happy with it. I have a 2003 2wd 1500 LS extended cab with a 5.3. Just went over the grapevine and this weekend with a 22' cruiser full of gas. Was able to go over 60 the whole time. I am not saying that the truck did it effortlessly but it pulled fine. Coming back (the first part of the grapvine is steeper) I decided to give the truck a break and let it shift down to second. 45 MPH, 3K rpm, temp didnt budge. I would really like a diesel but overall, I think it works fine.
When you are "trailer mode" the damn thing wont shift out of second till it is wound out way higher than sounds right though. Anyone else notice this with their truck?
Yeah read the manual. I don't think you're supposed to use the trailer mode until you have like 90% of your towing capacity behind you or something like that.

HitIt
06-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Yeah read the manual. I don't think you're supposed to use the trailer mode until you have like 90% of your towing capacity behind you or something like that.
Really? Damn, I would think the firmer shifts and higher shift points would be desireable with much lighter loads as well. That and I dont think I would ever tow anything that weighs 90% of what Chevy says is the rated capacity.

code8
06-19-2007, 09:39 AM
I know I'm late to chime in but I have a 4.8 on 35's. If you can go bigger then do it of course. I'd love to have the 6 litre then I wouldn't have to worry about upgrading later :D With that said I got the 4.8 because that is what I could get at the time with the color of the truck. Non-stock color that you basically have to kill somebody to get. Anyways it's up on 35's with a 4.56 ratio. Flowmaster cat-back and K&N intake. I can go up Cajon Pass towing 60 no problem with the air on. Now if I punch it then it isn't going to jump anywhere but be a very slow steady increase in speed. But it gets the job done. That is with a boat weighing around 5k on the trailer so a 21 footer should be just fine. If I did the tow every weekend I'm not sure if I would have upgraded already. If I had a bigger boat I for sure would have.
Voodoo,
I have the same truck as you. How's the gas mileage with the 35's and new gear set up? I'm interested in going that route someday but the truck being stock, I'm getting pretty good gas mileage. As far as towing in stock form, it does fine. Being on a budget, this is my daily ride as well as my weekend tow-mo-bile.
Sorry to hi jack the thread.
thanks.

voodoomedman
06-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Voodoo,
I have the same truck as you. How's the gas mileage with the 35's and new gear set up? I'm interested in going that route someday but the truck being stock, I'm getting pretty good gas mileage. As far as towing in stock form, it does fine. Being on a budget, this is my daily ride as well as my weekend tow-mo-bile.
Sorry to hi jack the thread.
thanks.
About 12 mpg consistant on average towing or not. I'll see if I have a pic somewhere. She's parked in the garage in Havasu right now.

voodoomedman
06-19-2007, 03:17 PM
HOLLY CRAP!! My '93 Yukon gets better than that and ti doesnt even have port fuel injection and its a 5.7. I get about 15 towing and about 18 regular open freeway driving. And it has 154,000+ on it.
Is yours lifted on 35's with a 4.56 ratio? Also being a 4.8 it has to work harder than your 5.7. If I slowed it down 10 miles an hour I'd get much better.
My other problem is that my truck is my toy. I drive around the Cavalier 4 banger for work and my wife gets the 6 cylinder car. And especially having the truck at the river over the summer away from home I like to drive it and have fun. I can chirp those 35's easy.

VDRIVERACING
06-19-2007, 06:28 PM
You might think about the Predator tuner. I installed the 87 octane level in my 2004 Tahoe 5.3 (3.73 ugh!) and it made a bit more power, but what I noticed the most was better shifting. In tow/haul it seems like it kicks down with less drama, and upshifts at better points. In other words, it seems to keep the engine more in the "zone" than revving up and down like it did before. You can also modify the shift speed, or firmness, for towing and leave it stock smooth when not in tow mode.

Schiada Time
06-19-2007, 08:43 PM
N8dawg-The 5.3 is a good engine. i would look into Fabtech or CST or RCD for the lift. A 6-7 inch kit will be perfect and should clear a 35 with mild trimming. The best thing you can do after that is RE-GEAR it. For a 35 you want a 4.56:1 ring and pinion. I would add exhaust and an intake and also a hand held plug in programmer. superchips makes a nice one. It allows you to program for fuel choice, gear and tire size changes, shift points etc. Stay away from headers as you have to re-torque them all the time.Toss in a spray in bedliner for keeping the bed nice and a nice system for river drives and your styling.
Travis

W.O.T
06-19-2007, 10:30 PM
I have an 02 silverado 5.3L 3.73 gears lifted with 285/75/6 tires. it has a 6 inch CST lift it tows my 19ft jet boat and jeep over the hills fine. wont win any races towing but if thats all you plan on doing than thats all you will need. im hitting 100k on it now its a great truck i have no reason to sell mine for anything else

HitIt
06-20-2007, 05:50 AM
You might think about the Predator tuner. I installed the 87 octane level in my 2004 Tahoe 5.3 (3.73 ugh!) and it made a bit more power, but what I noticed the most was better shifting. In tow/haul it seems like it kicks down with less drama, and upshifts at better points. In other words, it seems to keep the engine more in the "zone" than revving up and down like it did before. You can also modify the shift speed, or firmness, for towing and leave it stock smooth when not in tow mode.
How much does that run? Where can I find out more info?

n8dawg
06-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Got back from our first lake trip with the new truck....all I have to say is that it was totally relaxing! Didn't have to worry about the boat or the truck. Pulled just fine up the Quest Grade in SLO. My fiance sat in the launch line for about 30 - 45 min. with the air on... no over heating!
We are so happy with the new truck. We just wanted to keep driving. Can't wait for the next trip.
Thanks for ALL of your advise.
I'll be looking into lifting and wheels and tires later, right now it rides to smooth to mess with it.
Nate

Mr. Crusader 83
06-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Im way late. But I have a 2000 silverado lifted 10in on 35's with a 4.8L 2 wheel drive geared to 4.10 with posi and it tows my 19ft jet no ploblem. It nmight be a whole nother story when i get the 22 daytona though.
Also... the only diff from a 5.3 to 4.8 is the heads.

code8
07-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Im way late. But I have a 2000 silverado lifted 10in on 35's with a 4.8L 2 wheel drive geared to 4.10 with posi and it tows my 19ft jet no ploblem. It nmight be a whole nother story when i get the 22 daytona though.
What is the gas mileage on your rig?????? Just curious:)

Jetaholic
07-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Actually...the 5.3 is a 4.8/293 stroker, with 0.35" more stroke than the 4.8.
Funny thing is, the 4.3L V6 has more bore than both the 5.3 and the 4.8 and more stroke than the 4.8...just two less cylinders.

dc96819
07-13-2007, 09:20 AM
5.3/4.8 difference
4.8 3.780" bore size flat top pistons/crank 3.268 heads 706 or 862 61cc
5.3 3.780" bore size dish pistion/crank 3.622 heads 706 or 862 61cc
Iron block can be bored to a 5.7 with no problems
3.905" 5.7 bore size head are 241 67cc

VDRIVERACING
07-13-2007, 06:32 PM
How much does that run? Where can I find out more info?
Jeg's has the Diablosport Predator....Are you sitting down? they are $400
BUT...worth the money. One of the very cool things it does is disable the torque "management" system, GM so thoughtfully provided. Far more low end without it.
I think I have lost 1 MPG because I am driving it harder now because it's not such a dog anymore.

dc96819
07-14-2007, 02:54 AM
Try getting a street tune.We hook a laptop
to your pcm while driveing and get data then adjust.I looked into
a predator tune and TM was at 40%.You dont want to delete all of
that.The problem with trucks is the burst knock that kills all you power.
Most tuners wont delete all TM especially with the stock trans.
Good basic trans upgrade TransGo shift kit and the Corvette servo
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/

n8dawg
07-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Towed our boat and gear out to the Avi this past weekend and even at 116* and the air on the trucks temp didn't even move a little bit!!!
Totally stoked on the performance of this truck, and the ride is so smooth, and the interior is comfy as my couch...(leather.) I will never lift another truck again...they look cool but the ride always sucks! Sorry guys but my .02!